Vibration in the front of my Jeep. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration in the front of my Jeep.

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
TeeJayPee
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Vibration in the front of my Jeep.

I have a Jeep Wrangler SE with 170k miles, it has the DANA 30 front end w/ 4.10 gears. My concern is... I have a vibration when I get to between 50-60mph that seem to start somewhere under my legs.
While accelerating it becomes more noticeable and waves/pulses from there to the front left then to the front right from 50-55mph; getting faster with increasing speed. Then around 60mph it is everywhere and shaking everything; feels like bad mud'n tires are on the front of my Jeep. (minus the loss of control) It's not a bad vibration and it's not a death wobble (felt that before too, not cool!!) But I don't want to get on the freeway anymore, because I don't like to push it much higher than 60mph. It might even be there all the time I just don't FEEL it until those speeds... (FYI, the 4x4 is not engaged.)
I've replaced the hubs and that wasn't the problem! Before I run the replacement part gauntlet, what else could this be? Play in the spider gear(s), or the u joints on the front axles/drive shaft? All the U Joints seem to be strong with no slack in any of them...? There is however some type of extension joint on the front drive shaft that has a boot around it... It seems to have a lot of play when I grab and shake it, and the pinion seal is leaking fluid too; that's probably not a coincidence, Right? Does this joint need grease??? It doesn't feel like there is any in it, but there's not a grease fitting either, and it looks like the metal clamps holding the boot on will have to be cut off to get into it? Could this be the culprit?

Can someone help shed any light? Also, sorry about the long drawn out explanation.

TeeJayPee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
joechrom

I have a bit of vib when I hit 60. Seems to go away around 65-70. I will start with s tire balance and n alignment. Other than that I'm clue less. My LJ is stock
joechrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
TeeJayPee
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your input Joe, but I already eliminated tires as a possible issue. There were "mudders" on the Jeep when I bought it. Thinking that was the issue, I had them replaced with passenger tires. Much to my surprise, the noise nor the vibration went away...
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
97lon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pull your front drive shaft, it's real easy, use a 5/16 wrench. You either have a centering ball going bad( it's in drive shaft) or u-joints too. Drive without front shaft and it should go away. There are plenty of links on drive shaft repair on here . Good luck
97lon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
MPmedic
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same thing happen on two of my XJ's and a TJ, Have you checked the bushings on your track bar, might be time for a steering dampner too. Cheap fix, did it for me. Good luck!

Last edited by MPmedic; 03-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Missed one of the symptoms...
MPmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
TeeJayPee
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input, it's great! Come to find out, I thought all the u-joints were good then I felt it... The front joint, on the rear of the drive shaft had a 1/4" of play. Oh boy, got a new project coming soon...

I have one more "wonder" about this front end. The slip yoke, has hella play. Any input there? Maybe a "how to" on the method to fix it; other than buying new. (I refuse to pay 4-6 hundred for a new drive shaft)

Thanks again ya'll, this place is great!
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
TeeJayPee
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Never mind, drive shaft is shot. It's going to be a minimum of 250 bucks to fix it. I'm going to be saving money for a while. (BTW, with the drive shaft off, it drives like a dream) Thanks everyone for all the input!!
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Regarding your pinion seal replacement, I did it a while back. Here's a link to the write-up.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayPee View Post
Never mind, drive shaft is shot. It's going to be a minimum of 250 bucks to fix it. I'm going to be saving money for a while. (BTW, with the drive shaft off, it drives like a dream) Thanks everyone for all the input!!
I think if you buy the parts and have the shaft off already anyway, you might find someone to press them in for like $50.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I think if you buy the parts and have the shaft off already anyway, you might find someone to press them in for like $50.
It's not the joints or centering ball that was bad in this case. The OP stated that the slip portion of the shaft had play and the only way to fix this is to cut off the slip section of the shaft and weld new pieces in.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
It's not the joints or centering ball that was bad in this case. The OP stated that the slip portion of the shaft had play and the only way to fix this is to cut off the slip section of the shaft and weld new pieces in.
okay, sorry, I misunderstood the "front joint on the rear of the drive shaft" to mean one of the cardans...I guess I also misunderstood the specificity of "nevermind, the drive shaft is shot".
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.