Vibration, Bad Mileage, Very Bad Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration, Bad Mileage, Very Bad Mileage

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Harley_Jeep_Man

Vibration, Bad Mileage, Very Bad Mileage

I now have a new to me 2005 jeep tj sport. 5k miles, 6cyl, auto, cruise, full traction 4" suspension lift, american eagle 15 x 10 rims with 33 x 12.50 goodyear wranglers, bushwhacker 6" painted flares, various stainless goodies.

I used to have a 1978 cj7 with a 401 mated to a borge-warner 4 spd with lock out hubs, you could leave them locked out and put it in 4wd inside and it would pull 4 wheels untill you let off the gas. It was like you put the front wheels into freewheel when you let off the gas. As long as you gave it gas it would pull all 4.

Anyways, this new tj I think is crap. I know the tires and 6cyl will kill the power and all that but will it affect the mileage that much. I am getting about 10.8 with the correction. If memory serves me right the 401 I used to have got about 14 and would scald the earth. Oh yeah the thing just doesnt drive to me as well as the old cj7. Anyone know anything on how to remedy this problem..
All Help will be greatly appreciated.'

thanks in advance

Harley_Jeep_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
nhlbill

Did you change your speedo gear to the correct tooth count for your gears/tire size.

I have a 2005 Sport 4.0ltr, 6sdp, 5.5" lift and 35" tires and 4.56 gears and I get 15-16 mpg mostly city FWIW.

Gone but not forgotten:
05 TJ Sport
RK 5.5" Long Arm, 1" Daystar BL
M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" MML
AA SYE, RE CV Driveshaft
4.56's, ARB Super 30 Front, Detroit D44 w/Alloys Rear
35" BFG MT's
RK X-Factor steering, Currie Anti-Rock,
Nth oil pan skid, Rock Crusher Diff covers
Line X
OBA (Viair 450c System)
Trail Gear Rockers
Custom rear bumper/swing out
nhlbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you just discovered why the PO sold it with only 5k and all the extra stuff - sorry about the bum deal
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
blacksheep1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have owned several 4x4's most of which were full size ford trucks. currently I own a 78 f-250 with a 460 4spd and front/rear dana 60's. with that said I really like my tj, plenty of power (for what it's used for), gas mileage is about 16 - 17 mpg. I would bet that your problems are due to some of the aftermarket mods not being installed correctly. You might even get lucky and most of your issues turn out to be alignment or balancing wheels/tires. I think it is unfair to knock the TJ since everything you have described having issues with is no longer factory.
I have a 99TJ that was giving me some handling fits and as it turned out it was due to my antirock sway bar. after learning that was the issue, I adjusted it different and the problems are nearly corrected.
good luck with your issues, dont give up yet.

MINE 1999 TJ sport, HERS 2004 KJ Renegade and 2005 Rubicon
Wind Tunnel Tested . . . FAILED
blacksheep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
ocezam

What is your final drive ratio? My sport came with 3.07's. If you are really lucky, you might have 3.73. Either way, you'd be better off with 4.11 or 4.56. It would definately help your mileage.

I've owned a CJ-7, YJ, and for the last four years my TJ. If you think your TJ sucks compared to a CJ as far as ride quality...you've got some problems with your TJ. I wish I was closer to you to help you sort it out.
Unread 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocezam
What is your final drive ratio? My sport came with 3.07's. If you are really lucky, you might have 3.73. Either way, you'd be better off with 4.11 or 4.56. It would definately help your mileage.

I've owned a CJ-7, YJ, and for the last four years my TJ. If you think your TJ sucks compared to a CJ as far as ride quality...you've got some problems with your TJ. I wish I was closer to you to help you sort it out.
Ditto, your TJ is def. experiencing some problems. There is no way any CJ or YJ I have ever drove has ever rode better than the TJ. Sorry about the bumb deal you got. Did you get it from a dealer or private owner? Get an alignment and air your tires to the max. You shouldn't need a tune up with only 5,000 miles. Is your check engine light on? Are your catalytic converters still on the vehicle. If they are gone then you will experience the crappiest mileage ever! With all those mods it is possible that the PO cut them thinking it will give more HP. Well, it doesn't and the gas mileage goes to crap. See if your computer is throwing any codes. In the most frequently asked questions section it will show you how to do this. Give us some more info if you can. Don't give up. Lots of guys on this board will know how to help you out.
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
05tjx

gearing changing the axle gears will help the gas mileage alot
05 tj x, 4in procomp stage 2, aem intake, tbs, jet chip, 3312.50 15 on 15x10 weld supersingles, quick discos, 4.56s, detroit truetrac in the front and super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear,and other stuff
05tjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
jeep3908

I have a 05 TJ 4cyl with 4" and 33" tires, 3:73. I havent officially checked my milage yet but it has to be close to the same as yours. It really sucks. I hope regearing to 4:88 helps it.
jeep3908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 98 tj with a BB and 31s with 6 cyl 5 spd and 3.73s and a snorkel and flowmaster 50 and I've calculated about 11 mpg which I think is worse than it should be. Does anyone else think it could be the snorkel? The PO installed it.
05WK98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_Jeep_Man View Post
Oh yeah the thing just doesnt drive to me as well as the old cj7. Anyone know anything on how to remedy this problem..
All Help will be greatly appreciated.'

Best advice anyone could give you would be for you to take the TJ and find some one that appreciates them to sell it to.

Based on just this post, you will never be happy with it and will always be comparing it to your old CJ and the CJ will always come out ahead.
Unread 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
dcain
2008 JK Wrangler 

First off, there is going to be no comparison in power compared to the 401. Ever.

Second, your Jeep should have the 42rle transmission. It makes the jeep a dog, even with the stock tires. It's the same one I have in my 05 LJ.

Third, if it doesn't handle as well as the CJ something is wrong somewhere. Hands down the TJ SHOULD handle better than the CJ.

My LJ gets 15 mpg with 32x11.50 with overdrive turned off.
It get's 12 with overdrive on. If your's hasn't been regeared I would try turning the od off.

Only solution would be a regear, or just sell the TJ and buy another CJ.
dcain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.