Vibration after Lift Kit Installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration after Lift Kit Installed

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
jb12

Vibration after Lift Kit Installed

First of all...awesome site. I've read quite a few of the threads and have gained some good knowledge. Up to now, my 2000 TJ has been used mostly on the road, but now that I'm in the west, I'm looking to take it off.

I have a 2000 TJ, manual trans, 4.0L

I just had a RE 3.5" installed. Immediately after the installation and before I could get it aligned, I experienced the Death Wobble when I hit a bump at 55 mph. After stopping I noticed the bolt that goes through the bracket on the lower left connection of the track bar was very loose (in fact, the guy who installed it simply drilled a new hole in the bracket to compensate for the new angle of the track bar...is this normal or should the guy have installed a drop pitman arm and used the same hole that was there for the stock setup?). After getting that torqued down and adding Locktite I haven not encountered the DW again. I also had a pretty bad vibration, noticeable during acceleration. I had an alignment done and installed MT 33X12.5's. Although the vibration is not as bad as it originally was, there is still a definite vibration that occurs during acceleration. I'm guessing it does not have to do with the tires or steering since the only time it vibrates is during acceleration. The vibe is similar to the feeling you get when you lag a standard transmission vehicle. I'm guessing it has to do with the driveshaft angles. I had the installer take a look at my angles, but he said they are 8 and 10 degrees -- a difference that is minor and shouldn't cause a problem.

I'm looking for any help anyone can give. Thanks much!

jb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you drop the transfer case or install a SYE and DS?
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
jb12

Forgot to mention that...

I did not lower the TC or get a SYE installed.

The shop guy also mentioned that I would not need to lower the TC or get an SYE unless I was going 4" or more. But from what it sounds like in some of the other threads, RE lifts tend to be a little more height than advertised.
jb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12
The shop guy also mentioned that I would not need to lower the TC or get an SYE unless I was going 4" or more.
Not True. You need to lower the Tcase, do a MML or get an SYE and CV DS when going much more than 2". The RE 3.5 will surely require mods to fix the DS angles.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lift

hi i think im having the same problem i got a 4inch put into my 06 wrangler X manual 4.0 . we did put in a drop case that came with it from roughcountry.com. im getting really bad vibrations only when i accelerate in gear. also the shop i had it done at is having problems getting the steering wheel aligned. im sure im gonna have to take it else where since they seem to not know as much about kits as i would like.

Last edited by jeepguyvt; 05-24-2011 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: added text
jeepguyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If your still retaining the stock control arms and trac bars, death wobble should be expected. The Rough Country Series II kit death wobbles even with the replacement lower control arms. The stamped sheet metal uppers and thin front track bar just aren't up to holding things steady. I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear, but its something you should know.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol ya i was hopefully it was something that could be adjusted =P but i thank you for your input. any recommendations on replacing those parts or is the whole kit junk?...returning the kit isnt an option at this point. but i would like to fix this. im open to suggestions and comments. Once again thanks for your time!
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A lot of members will come in here and post their own opinions after this post, but what it boils down to is how much you are willing to spend. You can pick up a set of all 8 control arms by Rough Country for about 500 bucks. Some like them. Some don't. Its just a preference thing, but IMO they will get the job done. Or you could go to the other end of the spectrum and pay 1100 for a set of Rokmen's.
Unread 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

cool thanks for the info!
Unread 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12 View Post
First of all...awesome site. I've read quite a few of the threads and have gained some good knowledge. Up to now, my 2000 TJ has been used mostly on the road, but now that I'm in the west, I'm looking to take it off.

I have a 2000 TJ, manual trans, 4.0L

I just had a RE 3.5" installed. Immediately after the installation and before I could get it aligned, I experienced the Death Wobble when I hit a bump at 55 mph. After stopping I noticed the bolt that goes through the bracket on the lower left connection of the track bar was very loose (in fact, the guy who installed it simply drilled a new hole in the bracket to compensate for the new angle of the track bar...is this normal or should the guy have installed a drop pitman arm and used the same hole that was there for the stock setup?). After getting that torqued down and adding Locktite I haven not encountered the DW again. I also had a pretty bad vibration, noticeable during acceleration. I had an alignment done and installed MT 33X12.5's. Although the vibration is not as bad as it originally was, there is still a definite vibration that occurs during acceleration. I'm guessing it does not have to do with the tires or steering since the only time it vibrates is during acceleration. The vibe is similar to the feeling you get when you lag a standard transmission vehicle. I'm guessing it has to do with the driveshaft angles. I had the installer take a look at my angles, but he said they are 8 and 10 degrees -- a difference that is minor and shouldn't cause a problem.

I'm looking for any help anyone can give. Thanks much!
Those 3.5 RE coils are more like 4"-4.5". Every Jeep is different, but in your case you need to either add a TC drop or better yet add a SYE and CV driveshaft.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Those 3.5 RE coils are more like 4"-4.5". Every Jeep is different, but in your case you need to either add a TC drop or better yet add a SYE and CV driveshaft.
agreed, but death wobble and driveline vibes are two different things.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my brother was looking at the jeep and noticed the passanger wheel is off to the right when the driver side wheel is center. and i was reading that i might need to disconnect the pitman arm center the steering wheel...then get an alignment done. could it be that easy? sorry i must also note i know very little about working on vehicles so if im talking out my a$$ pls let me know =P
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That could be the answer but every rig is different. I have a friend using the RC series II 4" lift, and it's been aligned and had the tires balanced several times. It still shimmies at 40 mph with only a 33" tire.
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
BackRoadBandit

I recently installed a 3.5" lift. I put a CV drive shaft and drop pitman arm on and it fixed all vibration problems. It did cost me but well worth not destroying a dif. or tcase. The front trac bar and steering linkcage were rubbing each other when the axle articulated and the drop pitman solved that problem.

Good luck.
BackRoadBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguyvt View Post
my brother was looking at the jeep and noticed the passanger wheel is off to the right when the driver side wheel is center. and i was reading that i might need to disconnect the pitman arm center the steering wheel...then get an alignment done. could it be that easy? sorry i must also note i know very little about working on vehicles so if im talking out my a$$ pls let me know =P
No don't mess with the pitman arm.
Really the only alignment you can do is the toe-in.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

Set the toe-in first or get it set then you adjust the steering wheel with the adjuster on the drag-link.
Jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.