Vibration at 50+ mph - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration at 50+ mph

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had way better luck with a hammer and sockets. It is way too easy to bend the ears using a press.

rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
bobjp

Beating on it with a hammer isn't more risky to you than what's essentially a C-clamp? If you bent your ears with a u-joint press, you should have taken the cheater bar off and stopped turning it long, long ago.

A bench vise with sockets is another method. Actually, I think it's easier than a u-joint press because it's anchored. But if you want the press, you can just borrow it from Autozone for free.
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Auto zone free tool loan I use them a lot for that. I use a vise though its easier.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
Beating on it with a hammer isn't more risky to you than what's essentially a C-clamp? If you bent your ears with a u-joint press, you should have taken the cheater bar off and stopped turning it long, long ago.

A bench vise with sockets is another method. Actually, I think it's easier than a u-joint press because it's anchored. But if you want the press, you can just borrow it from Autozone for free.
No breaker bar involved. And no beating on them with a hammer and a 3/4 inch socket isn't risky at all. The impacts from the hammer will help free the u joint faster and easier IMO. I felt the same way as you until I talked to a guy who's been a master tech for 30 some years. He uses those presses for ball joints and that's it. Living in an area that sees plenty of rust on vehicles has something to do with it as well.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
Bayview471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the rear U-joints, lubed up everything, got new rims and tires (which were needed), and got an alignment. She has never run so smooth. Thanks for the help.

Firefighter/EMT
Bayview471 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.