Vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vibration

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Shooter878
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Vibration

First time I had the Jeep on the Highway. Feeling a vibration starting about 48 MPH up to about 55mph. Kept it there so I don't know how high it stays at. Thingking U-joints? Kind of ruled out Front End doesn't feel like out of ADJ or balance vib. you can feel it thru the whole jeep, let off the gas and it real go away about 45-40 mph. Any checks or ideas?

Shooter878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check your rear u-joints first, if they'e the originals I'd say they're probably shot.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Shooter878
1999 TJ Wrangler 

vibration

Ok How do you know whats org.or not, and while checking the fronts I noticed the drv. shaft doesn't free spin when the tranfer and trans are in neutral, is that right, this is an automatic. the older one would free spin if they weren't in 4w.
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter878 View Post
Ok How do you know whats org.or not, and while checking the fronts I noticed the drv. shaft doesn't free spin when the tranfer and trans are in neutral, is that right, this is an automatic. the older one would free spin if they weren't in 4w.
Are the front wheels off the ground?
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Shooter878
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Vibration

Yes I know if both wheels were off the ground the shaft would turn, on the older jeeps in 2wd the ft shaft spin free, is that not so anymore.
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not without hubs that can unlock. Stock newer Jeeps do not have these.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Shooter878
1999 TJ Wrangler 

so your saying all wheels drive all the time no matter what the transfer is in ,2wd or 4wd. I'm confused.
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a vibe with my old 33" MTRs which started just above 50. Turns out it was a bad tyre. I'd got a slit in one of the sidewall treads and it eventually got worse, going flat 5 mins after getting off the motorway near work. With a full set of new tyres there was no vibe at all. If the tyres are recently balanced and the spare is the same size it might be worth swapping the spare on, and swapping the tyres one at a time to see if any one tyre being removed stops the vibe.

Removing front/rear driveshafts one at a time would identify or rule out them as a cause. If one of them does turn out to be the cause it's most likely UJs but could be a balance issue.

I know the XJ and YJ are different to the TJ but in the XJ/YJ FSM there's a vibration diagnosis section in the wheel and tyre section. Go to the online FSMs in my sig and select cherokee, 93, wheels and tires. It might help, it might not.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Shooter878
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Will the trans fluid leak out if you drive it with the front shaft out? If so is there a way around it leaking out?
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The front shaft comes off with a few bolts, it doesn't slide out of the transfer case.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
adknouse1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I drive an 03 tj with manual tranny, from my experience your front shaft should rotate freely if the tcase is in neutral as long as the front wheels are off the ground. If yours isn't rotating in this condition it sounds like you have a problem with your tcase/ linkage not disengaging 4wd. Could cause you some vibes at a high enough speed if your locked in 4wd. U joints would be the likely culprit but I would ensure your DS rotates while tcase is in neutral.
adknouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so your saying all wheels drive all the time no matter what the transfer is in ,2wd or 4wd. I'm confused.
Not all wheel drive. No drive is being transmitted to the wheels through the TC in 2WD, but since you don't have locking hubs the driveshaft will spin driven by the wheels.
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Will the trans fluid leak out if you drive it with the front shaft out? If so is there a way around it leaking out?
As stated, no slip yoke in the front, but for TJs even with the slip yoke in the rear you can remove the shaft without leaking fluid. An internal seal was added to the 231s in the 96/97 time frame.
Unread 12-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
As stated, no slip yoke in the front, but for TJs even with the slip yoke in the rear you can remove the shaft without leaking fluid. An internal seal was added to the 231s in the 96/97 time frame.
Having played around with a few transfer cases, IIRC the 1995 Wrangler NP231 may also have that internal rear driveshaft seal?...
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Shooter878
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ok guys you guys gave good info, i'll check it again, I didn't have both wheels off the ground only 1 but i will jack them up and make sure it's free, I understand w/o hubs the wheels will turn it, and I really don't think she's in gear. I checked the tire pressure and they were @ 27 psi the sticker on the door frame says 33psi 30x9.50R15LT, thought they were 31's, so I brought it up to 33 psi and VIB. wasn't as bad and the side to side wander didn't seem to be there, you didn't have to keep streering it back either. also going to check toe-in & toe-out and have the balance checked. How do you have to do to put hubs on it, I'm getting prices of 2 to 300 $ and you have to change the whole hub assy. M-38A1's all you did was remove the solid hub end cap and put on the warns.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.