Very difficult to turn into parking space slowly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Very difficult to turn into parking space slowly

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 03-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
SAHARADESERT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very difficult to turn into parking space slowly

Hi guys, new to the forum...will complete profile soon! Question I have is I just added some 33x12.5 General Grabber 2 A/T tires...to me these have a very aggressive tread...most aggressive I've had. When I try to slowly pull into a parking space, or try to a sharp circle turn in a parking lot, my jeep basically stops...almost like the tires are grabbing so much that it won't let me turn. If I do the same thing a little faster, it's fine...is this normal? When I say slowly try to turn into parking space...like a normal speed you'd turn...when I say faster, maybe a little less brake...not much faster at all.

I did some searching in this forum and google and a few people talked about a bad Viscous Coupler? Not sure it's that as it was more about Cheerokee's than TJ's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys

SAHARADESERT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHARADESERT View Post
Hi guys, new to the forum...will complete profile soon! Question I have is I just added some 33x12.5 General Grabber 2 A/T tires...to me these have a very aggressive tread...most aggressive I've had. When I try to slowly pull into a parking space, or try to a sharp circle turn in a parking lot, my jeep basically stops...almost like the tires are grabbing so much that it won't let me turn. If I do the same thing a little faster, it's fine...is this normal? When I say slowly try to turn into parking space...like a normal speed you'd turn...when I say faster, maybe a little less brake...not much faster at all.

I did some searching in this forum and google and a few people talked about a bad Viscous Coupler? Not sure it's that as it was more about Cheerokee's than TJ's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys
Did you add new rims? If so, what is the backspacing?
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did some searching in this forum and google and a few people talked about a bad Viscous Coupler?
You do not have a viscous coupler
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
SAHARADESERT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Did you add new rims? If so, what is the backspacing?
yep, added some Ultra Crusher 15x8 - no idea though what the back spacing was - Town Fair installed them
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
SAHARADESERT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
You do not have a viscous coupler
I guess that's not it then! haha

thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it!
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Does it buck when turning?

Stuck in 4wd high on dry pavement would cause it to lose momentum when turning and not accelerating. The sharper the turn the quicker your momentum would die. A hard turn under power would/should cause severe bucking...without an axle disconnect...

My jeeps have always bucked like broncos on dry pavement but my kiddo switched my awd durango DD to 4wd lock a few months back and it drove fine in a straight line but couldnt negotiate turns without losing momentum and felt like it had a seized caliper or wheel bearing. Took me a couple turns to figure it out but it never once bucked...

*edited momentum instead of power*
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yep, added some Ultra Crusher 15x8 - no idea though what the back spacing was - Town Fair installed them
Have someone turn your wheel from lock to lock and look for binding in the wheel wells or on suspension components...if you bind anywhere before full lock add washers to your steering bump stops to prevent it.

I dont see lift details in ur profile. You'll want to check specifically at the front sway bar at full lock. Also check the rear axle on both sides to make sure you are clearing the upper spring perch. An uncorrected lift will cause the axle to shift to the passenger side and shove your tire against the spring cup.

Do this immediately as you will chew through the sidewall in short order if you are rubbing anywhere...
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
SAHARADESERT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_LJ View Post
Does it buck when turning?

Stuck in 4wd high on dry pavement would cause it to lose power when turning and not accelerating. The sharper the turn the quicker your momentum would die. A hard turn under power would cause severe bucking...

My jeeps have always bucked like broncos on dry pavement but my kiddo switched my awd durango DD to 4wd lock a few months back and it drove fine in a straight line but couldnt negotiate turns without losing power and felt like it had a seized caliper or wheel bearing. Took me a couple turns to figure it out but it never once bucked...
it bucks at very slow speed turns, like 5mph or normal turn into parking space speed...if I turn faster, say 10mph it is smooth.

if it was in full time 4wd wouldn't there be a light on telling me that? or the shifter be in an upward position? right now there is no light on and it's flat against the floor.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it bucks at very slow speed turns, like 5mph or normal turn into parking space speed...if I turn faster, say 10mph it is smooth.

if it was in full time 4wd wouldn't there be a light on telling me that? or the shifter be in an upward position? right now there is no light on and it's flat against the floor.
Does it buck in slow speed turns if you don't touch the brake pedal?

Find some place you can test that. Empty parking lot or similar. Do a slow speed turn with and without using the brakes. Report back.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Akwardness turning at slow speeds is a pretty typical sign of having drive delivered to the front tires (either in 4WD or FWD). Ideally yes, your light would be on and the handle would be up, although it is conceivable to happen otherwise.

I'm thinking your new wheels have too high a backspacing and so the much wider tires you put on are rubbing on the control arms when you try to turn. At faster speed there is enough momentum that you don't really feel it, but when going slow you do feel it.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #11
SAHARADESERT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Does it buck in slow speed turns if you don't touch the brake pedal?

Find some place you can test that. Empty parking lot or similar. Do a slow speed turn with and without using the brakes. Report back.
I will do this tonight and report my findings...really appreciate the feedback.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

We have a part time 4wd system.

The bucking will occur when under power and in gear. If you are coasting into a space out of gear you wouldnt notice it but you would lose momentum. Also 5 mph is pretty slow. At such a low speed in say first gear things could get a little jerky as small changes in acceleration makes torque...

I wouldnt assume the dash light works. The shifter handle should indicate your 4wd position however, i installed a cable shifter on my tj a few months back and due to the cold weather i never tweaked its shift throw so a small tug on my shifter engages 4wd high. Im not saying thats what is happening here.

Before we go down that rabbit hole check your backspacing and tire clearance. Its the most likely culprit...
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm thinking your new wheels have too high a backspacing and so the much wider tires you put on are rubbing on the control arms when you try to turn.
My money is on the exact opposite. They installed a shallow backspaced rim and the tires are far enough outside "correct" scrub radius that they quit rolling in a turn when the brakes are applied.

It could just as easily be what you are saying though.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
SAHARADESERT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Akwardness turning at slow speeds is a pretty typical sign of having drive delivered to the front tires (either in 4WD or FWD). Ideally yes, your light would be on and the handle would be up, although it is conceivable to happen otherwise.

I'm thinking your new wheels have too high a backspacing and so the much wider tires you put on are rubbing on the control arms when you try to turn. At faster speed there is enough momentum that you don't really feel it, but when going slow you do feel it.
makes sense! how can I find out if it is indeed stuck in 4wd?

is there any chance it could just be as simple as the tires are really "grabby" and at slow speeds it's difficult to make a sharp turn?
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_LJ View Post
We have a part time 4wd system.

The bucking will occur when under power and in gear. If you are coasting into a space out of gear you wouldnt notice it but you would lose momentum. Also 5 mph is pretty slow. At such a low speed in say first gear things could get a little jerky as small changes in acceleration makes torque...

I wouldnt assume the dash light works. The shifter handle should indicate your 4wd position however, i installed a cable shifter on my tj a few months back and due to the cold weather i never tweaked its shift throw so a small tug on my shifter engages 4wd high. Im not saying thats what is happening here.

Before we go down that rabbit hole check your backspacing and tire clearance. Its the most likely culprit...
I'm going to go with the most accurate theory when it comes to problem solving which "it's almost always the last thing you touched" right before you noticed the issue. In this case, not 4wd related because that would have been a problem before the new tires and rims.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.