Vacuum leak ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Vacuum leak ?

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Vacuum leak ?

I think i resolved an idle problem I've been having, but the last thing the mechanic suggested I look into was a vacuum leak. I checked it using the smoke method and found no leaks, but I have a question before I call this resolved. The problem rears its head after the engine comes up to normal temps, is there a part of the vacuum system that only engages then? When I did the testing I did it without warming the temp up fully. I didn't think that would really matter, but thought I would ask.

tecumsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
cilantropena

I am having similar issue with 87 yj. Starts and runs fine. When warms up stalls during deceleration. Previous owner did some work inder the hood. Wondering if vacuum lines right. Also hear bubbling noise from
Air cleaner housing. Could it be pulse air check valves or cat? 4.2 6cyl 2bbl carter
cilantropena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecumsa View Post
I think i resolved an idle problem I've been having, but the last thing the mechanic suggested I look into was a vacuum leak. I checked it using the smoke method and found no leaks, but I have a question before I call this resolved. The problem rears its head after the engine comes up to normal temps, is there a part of the vacuum system that only engages then? When I did the testing I did it without warming the temp up fully. I didn't think that would really matter, but thought I would ask.
What problem, specifically, are you experiencing?

There aren't any components in the vacuum setup per se of a TJ that operate based on temperature. It is possible however, for a crack to exist in part of your engine's intake system or for a part of the same to be loose, and when either of which heat up and expand they may then allow a vacuum leak to develop.
Unread 01-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilantropena View Post
I am having similar issue with 87 yj. Starts and runs fine. When warms up stalls during deceleration. Previous owner did some work inder the hood. Wondering if vacuum lines right. Also hear bubbling noise from
Air cleaner housing. Could it be pulse air check valves or cat? 4.2 6cyl 2bbl carter
You may have better luck getting an answer in the YJ or CJ sections of the forum: CJ Forum link, YJ Forum link
Unread 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilantropena View Post
I don't remember the '87, I don't think it had an air temp sensor, I would guess you might have a problem with the auto choke. Back then I had a Jeep truck and always had problems with the auto choke, got so bad that I eventually replaced it with a manual choke.
Unread 02-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
What problem, specifically, are you experiencing?

There aren't any components in the vacuum setup per se of a TJ that operate based on temperature. It is possible however, for a crack to exist in part of your engine's intake system or for a part of the same to be loose, and when either of which heat up and expand they may then allow a vacuum leak to develop.
Okay, that is what I was asking. Thanks

What I was experiencing (posted it here several times over the last few years) is a drop in RPM when dropping into neutral to coast down a hill, towards a stop sign, or in stop-and-go traffic. The problem only occurs in the winter months when temps drop into the 30's and below. Turned out to be a faulty (not bad) IAT/MAT sensor. I think there is still a problem because it's not 100% resolved, but that could be because of a cheap sensor from AdvanceAuto. I had to return one already because it was totally bad, and AA refused to replace the unit (pissed about that).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.