V8 replacing 2.4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V8 replacing 2.4

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
acharrier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

V8 replacing 2.4

I am at the "thinking about it stage" of changing engines next summer. I will have 4 weeks next July to do this project.

My hope is to replace the 2.4 that's in my 2003 TJ with a small V8 of some ilk. I'd like to not have to replace the NV1500 transmission because the engine swap itself seems like a manageable amount of work, but when you start talking about moving around tranny, tcase, drive shaft length, etc. it all seems overwhelming. I am open to any reasonable engine selection.

Not planning on doing anything crazy like towing, plowing, climbing rock formations. Mostly want an engine that can deal with trips through the Rockies with ease.

So, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

acharrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
SinearOnyx
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i dont think your transmission will hold up to a v8
SinearOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

ive never had a 4 cylinder but it made a huge difference to all of my jeeps when i took out tons of unneeded tools, etc. all the skid plates and protection adds weight that will slow down even my heathly v8 going over these passes
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

ive seen quite a few v8 swaps. in order of popularity i would say it is something like this.
Dodge 5.7 Hemi
GM 5300
Dodge 360
Dodge 318

i would second that the trans will not hold up to a v8.
you may want to look around pirate4x4. there are tons of v8 swaps there
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

i personally would go with a 4.3 v6 from a blazer/ jimmy if i were thinkin engine swap
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think that 4 weeks is enough time to do a swap like this.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Duramaxxed
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1080 View Post
i personally would go with a 4.3 v6 from a blazer/ jimmy if i were thinkin engine swap
That would put you right where the Stock Jeep 4.0L Engine is. Which people say STILL isn't enough.
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
acharrier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OK, this helps. Knowing the NV1500 has to go makes all of this much easier to plan. Thanks.
acharrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.4 , swapping , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.