Using stock fog light switch to trigger AM light relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Using stock fog light switch to trigger AM light relay

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
vohk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Using stock fog light switch to trigger AM light relay

First off, I think this is pretty TJ specific, but my apologies if it should have been posted in electrical/wiring. There have been a few threads on similer topics, but I couldn't find quite what I am looking for.

I don't find fog lights to be all that much of an improvement over regular low-beams*, so I'm replacing them with a pair of KC Daylighters. Obviously, the 130W KC's are a wee bit hot to use with the existing wiring, so I'll be using the new harness that came with the kit. I've got that much all sorted out.

I want to use the existing fog light switch (built into the multifunction stalk) to trigger the new relay, rather than add a new switch in. This leads to my problem: where would the best place to tap into the existing switch-to-relay wire be?

Run a wire from the hole where the stock fog relay used to plug into? Take apart the power distribution box to get the wire as it comes up? I'd rather avoid pulling apart the entire factory harness or tracing it all the way from the stalk if I can help it..

Am I making any sense? Thoughts/comments?

*at least mounted up on a lifted TJ's bumper , small cars are another story.

vohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

I removed the relay and used the socket. And if you jump pins 30 to 87a and take your feed from that the dash light will still work.
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can use the fog light wire at the light to trigger your new relay. It's a bit of overkill, but it will work just fine and it will allow you to keep your new light wiring shorter.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
vohk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies.

In that case, I think I'll probably just leave the stock fog light relay where it is, bend the pin to let them run with the high beams, and use the fog light wire to trigger the new relay.

Definitely seems like overkill, but I guess the relay would be a little beefier than the switch. Heh, wiring confuses the heck out of me everytime..

Now just to find the sucker without pulling everything apart...
vohk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.