using a c clamp for a u joint press? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > using a c clamp for a u joint press?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
xamdarb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

using a c clamp for a u joint press?

Has anyone ever used a regular c clamp from a hardware store for a u joint press? They seem to be basically the same except for the c clamp at the hardware store does not have the option to put a wrench on it instead it has a built in lever.
Anyone ever done this?

xamdarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yep. I've also beat the old one out using a socket, while resting the DS on a brick.....very hi-tech stuff.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea it's the same thing all right (in principle) except the ball joint/ u-joint press is a whole lot stouter.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Morpheus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I second the "beating the socket" post! Just make sure the socket isnt too small or you'll damage the u-joint
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamdarb View Post
Has anyone ever used a regular c clamp from a hardware store for a u joint press? They seem to be basically the same except for the c clamp at the hardware store does not have the option to put a wrench on it instead it has a built in lever.
Anyone ever done this?
I thought the same thing until I actually had to use one. With the handle, I could not get enough force to turn the handle. The flat edges of the clamp kept sliding off as the edges of the U Joint mount and are not completely flat. Mine were seized in and I needed to Zip Cut them out. I ended using a 4inch clamp, anything bigger didn't fit underneath. I used a 3/4 inch socket and a 1 1/8, just remember to take the length of each socket, plus the U joint and that is the minimum opening of the mouth needs to be.
Just some problems I had, hopefully you dont experience the same problems I did.
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

u-joint presses have a nut on the top...so you can get lots of torque by using a breaker bar, wrench, whatever. c-clamps have a little t-handle. u-joint presses also have fine thread shafts, c-clamps have a coarse thread shaft. also meaning you won't get as much torque or fine control of movement.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
xamdarb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

alright then sounds like im going to attempt it was a c clamp at first, if it fails il use the proper tool.
xamdarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

u-joint replacement methods/tools

Good thread. You can use the C-Clamp, specific u-joint tool, hammer and socket, or bench vise and 2 sockets. It's always a good idea to try the method to match the tools in your jeep. It'll be a great lesson to learn for when this happens on the trail....been there...done that...

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
MFortie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used to use a c-clamp/socket-hammer setup before I bought a press...
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
wlmonk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been using a c-clamp for years. No problem. Ever.
wlmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamdarb View Post
alright then sounds like im going to attempt it was a c clamp at first, if it fails il use the proper tool.
It's the way I do it every time.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if a c-clamp would do this. happened trying to remove my new axle joints to put the full circle clip on them. Kind of ruined my Friday night.
cushed_ujoint2.jpg  
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used the hammer / socket / brick method again today...quick and easy. Like said above, this is probably how I'll do it on the trail, if need be.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
spoofmastafly
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you have any type of rust on ur u-joints I doubt you'll be able to get enough torque on them using a c-clamp. I live in Hawaii.. so there is alot of rust here. But I had to use an impact and the u-joint press to get mine out. Every u-joint cap broke in the process also. U-joint press's just make every thing move a little smoother.. Install went flawless.. you can get a harbor freight one for like 50 bucks.
spoofmastafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofmastafly View Post
If you have any type of rust on ur u-joints I doubt you'll be able to get enough torque on them using a c-clamp. I live in Hawaii.. so there is alot of rust here. But I had to use an impact and the u-joint press to get mine out. Every u-joint cap broke in the process also. U-joint press's just make every thing move a little smoother.. Install went flawless.. you can get a harbor freight one for like 50 bucks.
HF press is usually $30.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.