Used TJ Hard Top Rear Window Question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Used TJ Hard Top Rear Window Question...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
colbyB25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Used TJ Hard Top Rear Window Question...

I recently purchased a used Hard Top off a 2000 TJ for my 03' Rubicon and I am confused when it comes to the rear window.

Is there no way to securely lock it? I mean you can't get in the vehicle when the rear door is locked however it doesn't seem to want to sit in place. When I close the front doors the rear window jumps and I get an echo. I have read a few posts about the stock rear clips causing problems, but I have no clue. I was kind of expecting to be able to lock it so it doesn't move or in the least have it secure so that it doesn't jump when I close my front doors.

Any suggestions?

03' Red Rubicon • 33' X-Terrains w/ Cragar black 352d wheels • 3.5 Skyjacker • JKS 1.25 BL w/ 1' JKS BMML • .75 front coil spacers • Herculined Tub • Warn Rock Front and Rear Bumbers • Warn 9.5ti Winch • Custom Sound System • Tuffy Center and Over Head Console (w/ CB) • Rear Diamond Plate Corner Panels w/ Euro Tail Light Guards
colbyB25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
klincker
2013 JK Wrangler 

there is no latch to hold the Tj hard top closed. those tubes that hold it up keep it closed to i think. you could probably add something to secure it though... do you not have a spare tire rack? because that is the security feature.
klincker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
colbyB25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a rear tire rack that only allows the rear window to open about 2 inches, but still, even that I am not happy about. Hmmm...I am sure I can make something, just curious if anyone else has come across this and fixed it.

Looking for something more tactful then duct tape
03' Red Rubicon • 33' X-Terrains w/ Cragar black 352d wheels • 3.5 Skyjacker • JKS 1.25 BL w/ 1' JKS BMML • .75 front coil spacers • Herculined Tub • Warn Rock Front and Rear Bumbers • Warn 9.5ti Winch • Custom Sound System • Tuffy Center and Over Head Console (w/ CB) • Rear Diamond Plate Corner Panels w/ Euro Tail Light Guards
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Your rear tailgate secures the rear window. Are you saying that it's loose between the tailgate and window?Bottom of window has a metal channel and weatherstripping below.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klincker View Post
there is no latch to hold the Tj hard top closed. those tubes that hold it up keep it closed to i think. you could probably add something to secure it though... do you not have a spare tire rack? because that is the security feature.
There referred to as struts or shocks.Spare tire rack has nothing to do with the locking of rear window!
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
US1

Already mentioned

Last edited by US1; 01-14-2009 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: repost
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
VLT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same problem w/mine that I just purchased. The back window doesn't lock and when driving, opens somewhat when going over bumps or on the hwy and you can hear the wind. Of course with the spare tire in place and the rear door locked is the security for it not opening, but what about keeping the back glass secure from jumping/moving slightly?
VLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
colbyB25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess mine doesn't have the metal stripping at the bottom of the window. If I close my window and then close the rear door, I can literally move the window about 2 inches before it hits my rear spare tire.

Does this mean that I am missing a metal stripping that would normally lock the window down? If so I need to know so I can fix the problem and buy the metal stripping. I see some weather stripping, but besides that nothing. Got to love used Hard Tops!
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
VLT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The metal stripping? Are you guys talking about the two 5" metal pcs on each side that the soft top secures under? My back hard top window moves about 2" as well...what will keep it from moving when going over bumps, wind, etc.? Also, I'm a woman...are they hard to remove? I love mine in the winter, but afraid I can't handle taking it off w/out breaking it...now thinking of selling it. I really don't have storage either. Opinions?
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
colbyB25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There has to be some solution
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just to clarify....you are closing the window THEN the rear door, correct??
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
VLT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes to closing the window, closing the door, locking the door...window still has about a 2" leeway if you go to move it outward; therefore, when driving/going over bumps/on hwy, etc., the window opens a little, then closes (wiggles back/forth) slightly...how to keep it snug is the problem.
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyB25 View Post
I guess mine doesn't have the metal stripping at the bottom of the window. If I close my window and then close the rear door, I can literally move the window about 2 inches before it hits my rear spare tire.

Does this mean that I am missing a metal stripping that would normally lock the window down? If so I need to know so I can fix the problem and buy the metal stripping. I see some weather stripping, but besides that nothing. Got to love used Hard Tops!
If you look in an FSM or even purchase a new rear window,it comes with a metal channel and weatherstripping on the bottom of glass! That's it!
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
colbyB25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLT View Post
Yes to closing the window, closing the door, locking the door...window still has about a 2" leeway if you go to move it outward; therefore, when driving/going over bumps/on hwy, etc., the window opens a little, then closes (wiggles back/forth) slightly...how to keep it snug is the problem.
Exactly. Does yours have anything on the very bottom of the window? Mine has nothing besides some weather stripping. I just want it to be snug!
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
VLT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The bottom of the GLASS has a metal bar and weather stripping? That doesn't seem right. Or are you talking about the Jeep itself having the long metal bar that the soft top uses? When I open my back hard top window, there isn't any metal hanging on the bottom of it...it's just the glass. I want mine to be snug too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.