Urgent! Quick Wheel/Tire help - Good deal about to go by. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Urgent! Quick Wheel/Tire help - Good deal about to go by.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
CRommel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Urgent! Quick Wheel/Tire help - Good deal about to go by.

Please HELP -
Tomorrow I have an opportunity to pick up a variety of new tires and wheels for 40% off, and will not be able to test fit them, so I need to get it right. There is so much information on this site about tires and wheels, it can be overwhelming and I know there are many differing opinions out there, so I'm asking for some good advice so I don't make an expensive mistake.

I would like to put a set if 33/12.50/15s on my Jeep (Jeep Specs listed below) but don't know the right wheel size and BS to get so they don't rub. I've also considered 33/10.50/15s but will these be too narrow? Will 32/11.50/15s be too small? I want to keep the wheels tucked in as much as possible so I don't have to get new fender flares.

Currently I have a 99 TJ Sahara with 3in of lift (1 body / 2 coil spacer). The wheels and tires I currently have on it are 295/70/17 Toyo MTs on Raceline 17x8.5 (4.75BS). They rub the sway bar and the lower control arms. I've tried 285s (still rub) and 265s (too small). I'm planning to go to 15in rims (black steel) since I prefer this look anyway. I have a 33/12.50 ProComp MT on a 15x8 or 15x8.5 (4BS) (not certain width and can't find any identifying marks on the Rim) which I have mounted on the Jeep, and it clears the Sway bar by 0.5in and the lower control by 1.2in. The 15in wheel I have was a the spare when I bought the jeep, so I don't know the brand of wheel. I'm looking at the Duratracs / BFG KM2 / BFG ATs.

As always, thanks for the help!

CRommel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lay the wheel on its face, take a peace of whatever flat is it that you have to lay on the back of the wheel (not the tire) mesure the depth to the mounting surface on the inside. God, I hope you can see what I'm trying to say here.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
CRommel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Necko, Thanks, I was able to get the backspacing measured, but more was wondering what wheel size and backspacing would ensure the 33/12.5/15s fit and did not rub.
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
TheTempter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRommel View Post
Please HELP -

Currently I have a 99 TJ Sahara with 3in of lift (1 body / 2 coil spacer). The wheels and tires I currently have on it are 295/70/17 Toyo MTs on Raceline 17x8.5 (4.75BS). They rub the sway bar and the lower control arms. I've tried 285s (still rub) and 265s (too small). I'm planning to go to 15in rims (black steel) since I prefer this look anyway. I have a 33/12.50 ProComp MT on a 15x8 or 15x8.5 (4BS) (not certain width and can't find any identifying marks on the Rim) which I have mounted on the Jeep, and it clears the Sway bar by 0.5in and the lower control by 1.2in. The 15in wheel I have was a the spare when I bought the jeep, so I don't know the brand of wheel. I'm looking at the Duratracs / BFG KM2 / BFG ATs.

As always, thanks for the help!
You answered your own question, you'll need at most 4 in. BS, a lot of people go for 3.75.
TheTempter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
CRommel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.