Are upper sway bars supposed to be able to move up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Are upper sway bars supposed to be able to move up?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 07-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are upper sway bars supposed to be able to move up?

I'm looking for someone to tell me if this is normal, a problem, how it might have happened, and if there's a solution other than getting an entirely new sway bar kit.

When I bought my LJ 10 months ago it had sway bar disconnects. I never needed to use them before, but during my OTR off-roading course the instructor mentioned that they might be frozen from neglect, so I decided to take them out today and see.

When I tried to I noticed I could not lift the top arm enough to un-link the disconnecting part of the bar, but it did move 3-4 mm so I know the bar wasn't fused. Thinking it was grime, I gave it a good upwards kick but after that failed to change anything I took a closer look.

It seems my upper sway bar arm cannot move more than 4mm higher from the neutral position before the inside bolt head hits the frame. Am I wrong or does the entire sway bar assembly not need to be able to move down and up? I'm guessing every time I go over a bump and the shock compresses, this elbow goes up and rubs against the frame.

I can't understand why the upper arm of the sway bars curves towards the frame in that case. Do your upper sway bars come closer to the frame or away from the frame? Maybe mine were installed backwards (Left in the right spot and vice versa)

I'd appreciate some advice from those that have working sway bars and know how they are supposed to function. Let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Thank you!

Here's 3 pictures to save 3000 words.

Pentara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My bet is the antiswaybar has simply slid over towards the passenger side. See if the other side has a lot more room. You can just push it back over towards the driver's side, and some people install bushings on the antiswaybar on top between its upper mounts so it can't slide to the side at all like that. I don't like doing that since the antiswaybar is supposed to be able to slide side-to-side a bit as the axle moves side to side from moving up and down.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You're a genius Jerry, thank you! That's exactly what it was. Like 2 inches of gap on the left.
Unread 07-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tap it over with a mallet and install the RC clamps. They are less than 20 bucks and clamp on to the stock sway bar to prevent this issue from happening.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine keeps shifting to the right. If I don't push it back every now and then it'll keep cutting into the frame on the left side. Sometimes I wonder if it would eventually cut my frame in half if I let it.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4xplor.com/swaybar-fix.html

IMHO, ditch that low clearance drop track bar setup too...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link Unlimited.

For anyone else that plans to follow that advice one interesting discovery is that the part company, McMaster-Carr, has decided to not ship to Canada or accept orders from anyone with a Canadian IP address or Canadian payment options. Lots of threads about it online, but I found a similar part (1/16" larger outside diameter which shouldn't be a problem) at this company that does do business with Canadians.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/34393
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind that the OE antiswaybar is supposed to be able to move side-to-side so it can follow the axle as it moves side-to-side. The front axle moves towards the driver's side when it droops and towards the passenger side when it moves upward. Some antiswaybar links can tolerate side-to-side movement better than others and the ones in the photo in post #1 don't look to have much range of movement in that direction. I don't think I'd install that bushing to prevent his antiswaybar from moving sideways without better links that have a better range of movement like heim joints do..

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Keep in mind that the OE antiswaybar is supposed to be able to move side-to-side so it can follow the axle as it moves side-to-side.
compensating for the side to side movement is why the factory links use a ball-stud end....and those things suck. you shouldn't be using the ball-stud end with a lift anyway.

it's also why aftermarket links, like JKS, use a captured poly ball bushing. those are the preferred method for a lift.

when my jeep was still under warranty, i took it in to see what the stealership had to say about the sway-bar shifting over.....their response was that I had bent the sway bar from off-road abuse, and wanted to charge me almost a grand to replace the whole anti-sway bar assembly. at that point, my jeep was bone stock and had only seen gravel roads.

the sway bar should not be shifting side to side IMHO....only reason it does so is because of design optimization vs cost reduction and cost reduction always wins.

I did the shaft-collar fix almost 10 years ago with aluminum collars and they have served me very well with no problems.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.