upper and lower ball joint replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > upper and lower ball joint replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
shnobi24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

upper and lower ball joint replacement

Good morning all I have a question and need some help. I tracked my dw to the front right or passenger side upper and lower ball joints. I have the parts ready to go but I need to know if there is any thing I should look out for or pay attention to when pulling the axle shaft. This is the first time trying this sort of thing. My jeep is an 04 wrangler w/ dania 30 in front. Thanks for your 2 cents .

shnobi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I just pull the whole knuckle off and pull shaft with it. No need messing with removing shaft or hub.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
ekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnobi24 View Post
I need to know if there is any thing I should look out for or pay attention to when pulling the axle shaft.
Ensure that the side your working on is flat or even raised a little in order to prevent a gear oil mess.

Especially on the long side, make sure you have enough room to get the shaft out - not parked next to a garage wall or another car for example.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
shnobi24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks guys for the help :-D
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
reb162
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seeing you live in New York, you will have the same issues I just had from the Road Salt. They will be a ***** to get out. Make sure you have a qulaity C-frame press with the proper adapters (autozone, advanceauto, etc rent them for free). You will bend the harbor freight press (ask me how I know). Pre Soak for a day in PB Blaster and then clamp it up and put on some tension, hit side of knuckle with BFH, hit it with a torch and repeat til its out. Have you checked out Stu Olsen's website?

http://stu-offroad.com/axle/balljoint/balljoint-1.htm
reb162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
shnobi24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I used the proper tools but it still took a few hrs to finish. I just got back from the test drive all is tight. Thanks for all the help guys.
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb162 View Post
Make sure you have a qulaity C-frame press with the proper adapters (autozone, advanceauto, etc rent them for free). You will bend the harbor freight press (ask me how I know).
I must be doing it wrong. My Harbor Freight press did the job without a whimper.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I must be doing it wrong. My Harbor Freight press did the job without a whimper.
You aren't that dumb. There are 100's of instances of folks reporting bent frames on that HF POS over the years and you have seen them.

Next time I get a good one, you can loan me your HF POS and I'll send it back bent to crap. OTOH, if you get a quality one, I know for a fact you can put a 5' cheater on the end of a quality ratcheting breaker bar and break the breaker bar.
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You aren't that dumb. There are 100's of instances of folks reporting bent frames on that HF POS over the years and you have seen them.

Next time I get a good one, you can loan me your HF POS and I'll send it back bent to crap. OTOH, if you get a quality one, I know for a fact you can put a 5' cheater on the end of a quality ratcheting breaker bar and break the breaker bar.
I know many folks have mangled their HF ball joint presses. I'm just saying they won't instantly destruct as soon as you pull them out of the case like some people imply. I take my time, using nothing larger than my 2' HF breaker bar (best $10 I ever spent at HF, by the way). Sure, my ball joints aren't rusted in place, and I know that makes a difference.

Did you break the bar itself, or the ratcheting part?
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
shnobi24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the hf tool as well the trick is to take your time and make sure its in alignment before you but a breaker bar to it
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3

I know many folks have mangled their HF ball joint presses. I'm just saying they won't instantly destruct as soon as you pull them out of the case like some people imply. I take my time, using nothing larger than my 2' HF breaker bar (best $10 I ever spent at HF, by the way). Sure, my ball joints aren't rusted in place, and I know that makes a difference.

Can I ask if you smack the side of the knuckle with a hammer after tightening down the press? Just wanting to make my HF press earn its money when the time comes.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Can I ask if you smack the side of the knuckle with a hammer after tightening down the press? Just wanting to make my HF press earn its money when the time comes.
You should be smacking the press in the correct direction. If you elongate the holes in the inner C, you won't like the repair.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post

The bar, not the ratchet.
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

You should be smacking the press in the correct direction. If you elongate the holes in the inner C, you won't like the repair.
Thanks, doesn't sound like a good use of JB Weld.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post

If I remember correctly, they popped free before I got around to smacking the knuckle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.