Upper control arm mount has come off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upper control arm mount has come off.

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
MrKevinRosales
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Upper control arm mount has come off.

My father had noticed a change in ride quality in his 98 TJ, so he took a look at the suspension and he noticed that the rear upper control arm mount had become dettached from the frame. Pictures below.

What is the best way to fix this? We don't do any welding. What kind of place would be best to take this problem to? Or any specific place suggestions? We live in northeastern CT.
Thanks

0715121308-00.jpg   0715121308-01.jpg   0715121308-02.jpg  
MrKevinRosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i would see if you have any local machine shops that would weld it up for a fair price. or if you have any friends willing to. theres not a bolt on application for this so it has to be welded to the frame again
ivester1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

How bad is the rest of the rust on that frame? Before trying to her that repaired (hot rod shop or garage that specializes in customs is your best bet), you need to be sure the frame is worth fixing.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

as a New England Jeep owner I would highly doubt the frame is in much better shape I have seen this on several N.E. Jeeps but it was usually not the worst part of the frame.
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
Necko2529
Surfing JF Since '04

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
as a New England Jeep owner I would highly doubt the frame is in much better shape I have seen this on several N.E. Jeeps but it was usually not the worst part of the frame.
X2. Definitely check the frame and the rest of the frame-side control arm mounts and around the skidplate nutserts, that's where the rust is most like to start eating away at your frame.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That weld looks like it had very little penetration. I bet a good weld will hold it just fine.

Tags
control arm , control arm brackets

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.