upgrading RE 3.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > upgrading RE 3.5

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
livinitup
2006 LJ Wrangler 

upgrading RE 3.5

I am trying to figure out if I can upgrade my 3.5 RE lift to the 5.5 without buying a hole new kit. Im not sure what is needed to acquire this but i know it can be done

I know there might be a thread out there already for this but I was having trouble finding it. thanks

livinitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

2" budget booster or body lift could work.
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im assuming you are talking short arm kit? from what I have heard you will hate the ride on a short arm kit. each to their own. if you do it you will need adjustable upper control arms, SYE and CV driveline, adjustable track bars, new springs, new shocks, and new bump stops. I think thats it. you would be better off buying a new kit IMO
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
jeepnmike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You're gonna hate the ride. My buddy had a 4.5 RE and it was pretty harsh. That's a lot of lift on short arms..
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnmike View Post
You're gonna hate the ride. My buddy had a 4.5 RE and it was pretty harsh. That's a lot of lift on short arms..
Mine rides very good. My long arm rides better, but the 4.5 short arm is a great kit IMO.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
livinitup
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thanks, its what i needed to hear. i think it will just be easier to sell my lift and buy a new one
livinitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
TJamie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My RE 4.5" was a little stiff at first, but rides great now. It may be because the 4.5" springs are closer to 5.5" when new, but they've settled down some.
TJamie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

going from 3.5 to 5.5 your gonna need longer brake lines, SYE, Cv driveshaft, basically going that high your gonna want a complete kit

Tags
lift help , lift kit advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.