Upgrading my Rear Locker-ARB or Rubi Front Locker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading my Rear Locker-ARB or Rubi Front Locker?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading my Rear Locker-ARB or Rubi Front Locker?

I'll be re-gearing my Rubicon to 5.13, and I was thinking of upgrading the Rear Locker at the same time. I'll be running 33's for now, and then upgrading to 35's down the road. The first option I was considering was using a Rubi Front Locker along with stock spline count alloy shafts. The second option was using an ARB with either 33 or 35 spline shafts. Another option would be to just keep the stock rear locker and upgrade to stock spline alloy shafts. The jeep is a DD, and I wheel once a month, with most of the terrain being easy to medium grade. I am more concerned with strength and durability. I use the jeep for fishing, and I often go alone, so I need the Jeep to be bulletproof.

If I go with the ARB, would it be possible to use the factory switch?

tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
I'll be re-gearing my Rubicon to 5.13, and I was thinking of upgrading the Rear Locker at the same time. I'll be running 33's for now, and then upgrading to 35's down the road. The first option I was considering was using a Rubi Front Locker along with stock spline count alloy shafts. The second option was using an ARB with either 33 or 35 spline shafts. Another option would be to just keep the stock rear locker and upgrade to stock spline alloy shafts. The jeep is a DD, and I wheel once a month, with most of the terrain being easy to medium grade. I am more concerned with strength and durability. I use the jeep for fishing, and I often go alone, so I need the Jeep to be bulletproof.

If I go with the ARB, would it be possible to use the factory switch?
Factory front locker is a two pinion design. Arb is a 4 pinion design. Get the ARB and don't look back.

The Super 44 for what you are doing is about bulletproof.
Unread 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Factory front locker is a two pinion design. Arb is a 4 pinion design. Get the ARB and don't look back.

The Super 44 for what you are doing is about bulletproof.
OK- Super 44 it is.

Has anyone hooked up their ARB with the factory Rubicon switch? There were a couple of posts on another forum stating that it could be done, but the descriptions were vague. There is a Rubi that I saw where he has a separate switch for the ARB compressor and the locker itself, but when activated, the factory rear locker light in the dash flashes constantly. This must be a common thing, as I am sure that there are a lot of Rubi owners who've uupgraded to ARB's?
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There's a guy in my club that went with 513s with his rubi.

He kept the rubi locker and it died soon after that. Then he went with an electric locker and it was built wrong. After that (third or 4th time taking the rear diff apart) he put a detroit in it.

You may be able to hook up the switch and the ARB. You would have to look at the leads for the switch itself.

Don't forget the different air compressor for the ARB.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

100% Arb !

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.