Upgrading my D35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading my D35

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading my D35

I plan on ugrading my D35 soon. I figure this would be a little easier for me and on my wallet than doing a axle swap. Im doing this so i can run 35's on my DD and offroader(when i can, i live in OH so there is nowhere to go). Yes i do have 3.73's and to me they are liveable even with 35's(a friend has that setup) until i get money to regear. Now i found a few options, non of them have lockers because i dont want my DD locked. Im not exactly sure which one i should get, this is where you guys come in. However i do not want to replace my carrier, i dont know if thats a factor in any of these or not.

Here they are:

Alloy USA 12134 - Alloy USA Rear Grande 30 Spline Peformance Axle Kit for 90-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Wrangler YJ & TJ with C-clip Dana 35 Axle w/o ABS - Quadratec

Alloy USA 12200 - Alloy USA Rear 27 Spline Peformance Axle Kit for 90-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Wrangler YJ & TJ with Dana 35 Axle - Quadratec

Im not exactly sure of the differences, so if someone could explan it would help me out. Thanks!!! Also what does "Grande" mean? In the first link

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your factory carrier is 27 spline so the first link you provided would not work. The second should be okay.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

forgive my ignorence but the 2nd link says "27 spine" could you explain why the 2nd link is better,Thanks!!!

Believe.
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You said in your original post that you didn't want to replace the stock carrier. Your stock carrier is 27 spline. Therefore, the 30 spline shafts in your first link would not work.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Save your money. I know you said you dont want to do an axle swap, but if your gonna run 35's, your throwing your money away by putting shafts in the D35. There was a thread on here just today of a guy who broke his D35, on 35's by pulling away at a red light. it really is that weak. Do a search, you will find the more seasoned veterans of the jeep world would reccomend you do not put money in the d35. Yes, it is that bad.

If you don't head this warning, good luck. You'll need it. Maybe have the rear end blessed at church, but even god can only do so much for a D35....
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks. Not trying to get off topic, but how would this compare to a stock 8.8 and D44? But i think this will be fine for me, cause like i said i live in OH where there is no offroad parks and almost all the land is privatly owned. But i do have a cool little place nwhere me and a few buddies go, but its trails,creeks and mud which is what i like,rocks really dont interest me

edit: notmyj you posted before i did,well that puts some things in perspective

Believe.
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

27 spline is same size as stock, except alloy shafts. Stronger but still same size shafts, and c-clip. You benefit from not having to change carriers, and being able to swap in a replacement when you break it on the trail(just make sure you bring a spare, rtv, gear oil, 1/4" 12pt wrench, 1/2" wrench, jack, and tools to remove tires).

30 spline is larger than stock, and alloy shafts. You could compare them to d44 alloy shafts. The downside is you have to replace the carrier with a 30 spline carrier, which means a locker of some sort(I dont beleive they make 30spline open carriers for the d35). Unlike the 27 spline, you have about zero chance of snapping an axle shaft, something else will go first.

If replacing your carrier is out of the options, that leaves you with a 27 spline alloy shaft. Which isnt worth the money, unless you want a little extra stregth and are really light when wheeling. Its very easy to snap a 27 spline d35 shaft on 35's. Someone else will chime in here soon about a ford rearend, or a d44. I put 35's on my jeep thinking I had a d44, and the first trip out I snapped a shaft. I checked several junkyards in my area looking for a d44 but no dice. A couple days later I was building a d44 and was balls deep into setting up the gears when I had two offers from people who had d44's. One was for 400 and another for cheaper. Its about the same price as buying alloy shafts for the d35, but you wont have to worry as much when your out on the trail..
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Save your money. I know you said you dont want to do an axle swap, but if your gonna run 35's, your throwing your money away by putting shafts in the D35. There was a thread on here just today of a guy who broke his D35, on 35's by pulling away at a red light. it really is that weak. Do a search, you will find the more seasoned veterans of the jeep world would reccomend you do not put money in the d35. Yes, it is that bad.

If you don't head this warning, good luck. You'll need it. Maybe have the rear end blessed at church, but even god can only do so much for a D35....
After negotiating all the "hard" stuff without any problems, I had to stop on a hill with some snow. When I went to go again I coudnt get traction, I tried to apply some brake to "activate the lsd" and my axle snapped immediatly. How easy is it to snap a d35.. Just apply your parking brake and try to go...
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i dont really want to lock my rear end, so that pretty much eliminates truly "upgrading" my D35,correct? I have checked everywhere around here for a D44, and cant find one. But i do know where i can get a 8.8. For that all you have to do is redo the shock mounts,right?(presuming it has the same gearing as my D30). They manke a kit for that correct?

Believe.
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that upgrading the axle would be the best course of action, but I was trying to stay within your parameters. That being said, running 27 spline alloy shafts without a locker, I think you will be okay. Just carry your stock shafts in case you break one.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

FYI, not sure what your budget is, but there is a D44 from an 04 TJ, not too far from you for $750. I'm not an expert on the TJ axle swap, but it should bolt in. Search Results

And since no one has said, it yet, The Ford 8.8 is a great swap. Even stronger than the D44. I put a spool and yukon shafts in mine and beat the hell out of it. No problems with it for a few years. My YJ got totalled in an accident in december but I kept the axle to put in the new one. Still not gonna do anything to it except new gear oil since I pulled the cover to repaint it.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok you really have 3 options stick with 33s, if you don't need a locker you probably don't need 35s. Option #2 is get a super kit for the D35 with 30spline shafts this will give you a locker, there is nothing wrong with a locker in DD, many do it with out problems, if you spend a little more than for a Detroit, you can get an ARB air locker, this would be perfect since you seem petrified of a locker, it's open until you apply proper air pressure for it to lock. Option #3 replace the axle D44 or Ford 8.8, the ford 8.8 is stronger, the carrier is still some what weak, but defiantly strong enough for 35s. The D44 is another option it's bolt in if out of a TJ, and most came with 3.73s, unless from a Rubicon. I would not just replace the shafts with 27spline alloys they are not much stronger than the the stock shafts, save you money buy some stock shafts, as spares when you break them.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not mine...just an idea...
If I had the cash, i would...

8.8 w/TJ Brackets
98GP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run 35"s on a super35 kit locked with an ARB.

Nothing has broke.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
FYI, not sure what your budget is, but there is a D44 from an 04 TJ, not too far from you for $750. I'm not an expert on the TJ axle swap, but it should bolt in. Search Results

And since no one has said, it yet, The Ford 8.8 is a great swap. Even stronger than the D44. I put a spool and yukon shafts in mine and beat the hell out of it. No problems with it for a few years. My YJ got totalled in an accident in december but I kept the axle to put in the new one. Still not gonna do anything to it except new gear oil since I pulled the cover to repaint it.
Hey man nice find!!! Whats that web site

Believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.