Upgrading BB to OME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading BB to OME

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading BB to OME

My 2003 TJ 4.0L has been running on a RE 2in BB for about 4 years. I run 33in tires with a 1in BL + MML, wide flares and a Teraflex S/T sway bar, and 4.56 gears. I have been happy with the height, and have no rubbing, bottom-out or driveline vibe. I am carrying a lot more weight, however, with heavy bumpers, winch and tire carrier.

I am thinking of upgrading the springs and shocks to an HD OME lift this year, to get a smoother ride and better articulation, and then doing a belly-up and sye next year to improve my clearance, which about all my Jeep budget can handle.

I don't plan on going to larger tires due to the cost of axle and driveline upgrades, so don't need more height. That means no lockers for now.

The Teraflex sway bar, when locked in Street mode, lets me drive on pavement with no body roll. Unlocked in Trail mode, I get great articulation and control, way better than stock.

The stock springs, however, seem really stiff, and transfer every bump into body, and the RE shocks "chirp" alot on rough roads, not sure when compressing or expanding.

My understanding about the OME suspension is that the longer springs are also "softer" to absorb more bumps while the gas shocks smooth out the recoil.

Does this sound like a reasonable upgrade, or should I be looking towards something like the 3.5 RE Superflex? My understanding is that the RE requires the SYE upgrade right away, but the OME comes with a TC drop kit, which I might be able to remove when I do the belly-up. I need to spread out the cost of the upgrades over a couple of years.

Also, I have heard of people using spacers with the OME to get a little more height and to level. Could I use the RE spacers, or would I need longer shocks? I expect I'd do an adjustable front track bar with the belly-up.

Any perspectives are welcome. Thanks! P.S. Pics in my gallery.

wizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

For the money I'd go with the RE lift.You could use a t case drop with either lift.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwoz View Post
The stock springs, however, seem really stiff, and transfer every bump into body...
A stiff ride is usually attributed to the shocks and not the coils .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.