upgrading BB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > upgrading BB

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

upgrading BB

I've got a 2" budget boost that's only been on a few months. I used BDS shocks for it and it ran fine until i put a new rear bumper/tire carrier on and now it's just too heavy and it feels like it's bouncing around too much. I was thinking about getting some 2 1/2" Heavy Duty springs from OME. I'm pretty sure my BDS shocks that are made for a 2" lift will work fine, but are there any other heavy duty springs out there that are made for heavier rigs that give 3" of lift, and would my currents shocks work with a 3"lift? Thanks!

4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

anyone have any input???
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just about every suspension manufacturer makes 3" lift coils. Teraflex, Rusty's, and BDS just to name a few.

With your shocks, how much room for down travel do you have now? Are the shocks maxed out at full droop, or do they still have some room left?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, i was looking for some stiff coils like the OME heavy duty ones, my heavy rear bumper/tire carrier/hilift jack/jerry cans/cargo rack/bike rack really weigh it down. I was wondering if any of those guys made extra stiff coils for that. how am i suppose to know if i've maxed out the shock? won't it look the same when it's at it's max as it would w/a couple more inches left?
Unread 05-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, it will look the same.

You'll have to unbolt the bottom end of the shock to see if has more room for travel. Unbolt both of them and flex the axle so you get max droop. Then get your shocks to the fully extended position and compare to where the shock mounting point is on the axle. If you have 1" or 2" to spare, then they will be long enough for a slightly longer coil.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

gotcha! a little more work I guess. so what about the heavy duty springs. Is OldManEmu the only one that makes them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.