upgrading to 4:88 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > upgrading to 4:88

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
reynir

upgrading to 4:88

Hi,
I'm driving TJ se 1997. I think I have 4.11 Axle ratio but I want to go down to 4:88. The thing is I have ARB airlock in the rear, and someone told me that because of that I might have to change the casing on the drive. so, I understand that with some ratios that's the case. can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong ?

thanx guys!
-reynir.net

reynir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Your setup will be fine with 4.88's. However locking your stock D35 is a big mistake. It is a breakage looking for a place to happen.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
reynir

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
Your setup will be fine with 4.88's. However locking your stock D35 is a big mistake. It is a breakage looking for a place to happen.
thanx for your reply.
well I dont think the usage of my jeep is traditional, as I dont use it on "trails" and rock climbing, but in snow and in ice on glaciers.

The snow and ice is much more "forgiving" (softer), and there for I dont think I will break the D35... if it will happen, I will probably upgrade to D44.

well thanx again,
-reynir.net
reynir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
TJdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to 4.88 gears from 4.11 as well, but i don't have it locked. I can't wait to get that extra power back since i got my 33's.
KC daylighters, Warn Front bumper
and some Shrockworks
rock sliders all sitting on 33's
Pictures
NRA Jeeper #9

Ham Radio Call: KI6KCU
TJdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.