Upgrades with 2.5 liter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrades with 2.5 liter

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
98Tjboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrades with 2.5 liter

Are the upgrades worth the money on the 2.5 L?(air intake, exhaust, etc.)

98Tjboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

V8 or gears. thats about it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trade it in for a 4.0L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Regear or inject the Gerbil with steroids!
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

For the money, I'd do gears, anything else (other than forced induction) is going to be a waste of money.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

don't listen to the haters!! haha... I love my 4 cyl TJ... peppy around town and will hold 65-70 on the highway (hills still downshift to 4th - 4.88 gears going in this weekend - will report back...)

here is what I have done to my 01 TJ:

Banks header
DIY Cowl intake with AEM dry flow filter
64 mm bored 4.0 Throttle Body
magnaflow hi flow cat
4WD 2.5 inch cat back exhaust w/ turbo muffler
IAT relocation to air tube
Royal Purple 10w30 with K and N oil Filter
Mobil 1 Syn gear oil in Diffs
Hyline hood vent panel

cooling system is fresh and the motor stays around 190-203

clutch and tranny have 20k on them - motor has 22k on it (both replaced at same time by previous owner) ... so my jeep essentially has a new 2.5 motor to compare these mods to...

and a couple of other small things...

all my friends that drive it can not believe it is a 4 cyl jeep... I have had 4.10 gears and 33x10.50 tires for about 3 months (31's for about 6 months before) and I am getting 4.88's this weekend which will make I huge difference compared to the 4.10's... all these mods together helped a lot in drive-abilty but i am not sure how much real HP I have gained... they make the engine come alive sooner but it is still a slow vehicle...

let the engine breathe and regear and call it good - no need to do cam, forced induction, stroke on the 2.5... the engine block and size just does not have the capacity unless you want to spend $$

gears are the best bang for your buck though if running over a 31 tire... the 4.10's and 31's drove great
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
98Tjboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you had to estimate how many percent more powerful, what would you guess aparke?
98Tjboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
256ChiliPepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ill throw in my experiences with my 4 squirrels. Everything was done in the past 2 years My jeep now has 84,000 miles. Check my profile for details.

Tune up with coil, plugs, wires, cap rotor- noticeable power gains, and minor milage gains (but my old plugs had chunks missing out of the tips)
Cold Air Intake-No power or milage gains, just that cool intake "whoosh" noise
4.0L Throttle body- a little seat of the pants power feel, felt like it could live at higher RPMs easier, throttle response improved some
Flowmaster muffler and tail pipe- minor throttle response and the nice sound
Head rebuild-no noticeable power or milage, piece of mind everything was in good order
Electric fan to replace clutch fan- milage increased 0.5 mpgs, motor revved easier, more throttle response, down shifting the motor takes longer to wind down. Warms up faster in the winter too
4.88 gears-major power gains, milage jumped up 2 mpgs or so, defiantly worth it if you are running larger tires

My opinion would be to add an electric fan, muffler if you like to hear your motor, 4.0L throttle body if you can get one for cheap, 4.88s if you are going to 33s, and just let it be. Just my $0.02.
256ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For me, I've got 31's and 4.10s and 150k on the stock engine trans etc. Too poor to swap gears or a motor. I just spent some time an and fixed what was broken and spent money, around 500 total on motor and exhaust. It runs smooth and quiet. All the parts are stock spec nothing special.

It's liveable... Even pleasant. But that was my goal. Depending on how trashed your current motor is, you might be assessing how much power it has unfairly.
Tr00b is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.