update on my 4cyl to 6cyl swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > update on my 4cyl to 6cyl swap

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
duglas25
2007 JK Wrangler 

update on my 4cyl to 6cyl swap

I just wanted to give a update to my 4 to 6cyl swap.. Many people have asked for an update so I thought I would start a new post

Most people say it is not worth it because it is the same work to swap a V8. I am going to have to disagree with this, it is much easier and cheaper to use the 6cyl instead of a GC V8.

I bought a wrecked 97 Sport, 6cyl 5 speed. I used the engine, computer, trans, tcase, cluster, exhaust and driveshafts.
I had to weld in new motor mounts(Hardest part), rest was beyond easy, there were no wires to cut, no driveshafts or custom harness's..

I paid $1500 for the parts TJ, sold my 4cyl,tcase,trans, seats, and AC Setup for $1300 and I still have the windshield frame, tailgate, axles, soundbar, seat belts, and rollbar left.. So I broke even or made a few $$.

I bought the following parts:
Motor Mounts $70
Clutch $150 (not needed but easier when it was out of TJ)
Oil for motor, trans, tcase, axles $79
Exhaust Manifold $125 (just because they all crack)

Other than the motor mounts, all the plugs were the same and just swapped computers and it started right up. No check engine lights, no problems..
Had I of gone with a V8, I would of had to get a harness made or figure out the wiring, get a shifter, have driveshafts made, and get a new radiator.

I do know you get an extra 100ft of torque with the V8.

As for the way it drives, it is like a race car compared to my 4cyl.. With the 4cyl and 31" tires, it could not even make it up hills without downshifting to 4th and then it would stay the same speed if I floored, not I can speed up while in 5th gear.. The parts TJ had 3.07 gears and mine has 4.11 so even after upgrading to 33" tires the speed on the cluster is still off by 10MPH @ 60mph(says 70 when going 60)..

I have gone through 1 tank of gas, not sure the mileage because of the cluster being so far off and I have been on it more than normal, but I am guessing 15 to 18MPG...

So, while I agree a GC V8 would of been nice, it would of been much more money and more work and the I6 with 4.11 gears has more than enough power for 33" and I am sure 35", plus I like the manual and most V8 swaps I have seen require an auto trans....

37" Cooper STT MT 17" Rims
Currie G2 D60 Rear, ARB 5.13
Mopar bumpers rear DVD, LockPick, MyGig, Sirius,
Full Soft Doors
TMD Hood

2005 Inifinti G35 4 Door 6MT
Stillen Stage 3 Supercharger
duglas25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
CrzyWhtBy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a smart move given the cost and extra power, seems like it really only cost some time. I have been looking into doing a V8 and it is pricey this may be a good alternative for me as well.
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear how easy it was for you, now people will back off on the if your swapping just buy a new jeep or drop a v8 in. Pulling the drive train and putting in the new motor mounts takes less time then swapping all your mods and starting with a new jeep and new quarks.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Schwalby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to have to start looking for a wrecked 6 cyl TJ. What do you plan on doing with the other left over parts? Going to hold on to them or sell them off? Also how easy was it to sell the old 4 cyl and tranny? Just curious.

[url]www.jeeprally.org[/url] Great American Jeep Rally
Schwalby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
ErnieG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow this is so good to hear ive been wanting to do this for such a long time but ive always been told not to ..so to hear someone has done it with ease is giving me some ideas and putting a smile on my face where did you find the wrecked tj 1500 bucks is an extremely good price. thanks for the inspiration man
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
duglas25
2007 JK Wrangler 

I sold my 4 cyl motor, trans and tcase on craigslist for $600 and I found the wrecked one on craigslist for $1500
Full Soft Doors
TMD Hood

Unread 03-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
ErnieG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i check craigslist and ebay everyday haven't come across a deal like that before i was begining to give up hope i guess ill just have to keep on it maybe something will come up. thanks again man
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a deal for a wrecked tj...was it slammed pretty good?
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
duglas25
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is a link to a pic from when I bought it..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=462430&page=2

I have seen a i6, trans, and tcase for sale for $750 but getting an entire parts car would be better..

The tcase shifter brackets are different and the steering bracket where it mounts to the frame is different and really easy if you can take it all off a parts car..
Full Soft Doors
TMD Hood

Unread 03-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

congrats on the swap! Its not hard at all, just like he said. The hardest part for me was cutting off the old mounts. I dont have a plasma, so it took a while with a grinder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.