UPDATE: hi-amp alternator swap - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > UPDATE: hi-amp alternator swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #61
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

whout the correct wire you wont get the benefits of the alternator swap . its all part of it besides the bad things already mentioned .

Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #62
02ws666
2003 TJ Wrangler 

so what size wire is needed? im not an electronics expert sorry for newb questions...
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #63
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am not either which is why I did a little research when did it years ago . these and many more answers were found on this forum by using the search tool in order to not add another thread for someone to wade through when searching for an answer . I used 6 gauge if I remember correctly some say 4
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #64
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did this swap on my '98 "4.0"L last week while traveling on vacation...

The swap is straight forward with a couple of notes:
1. You will want the insulator from your current alternator as it is clocked differently than the 136A alternator. Check the pin location in the photos for the difference, the pin hole in the case is in the same location on both.
2. The pulley has an extra groove, it will work as is but why not change it out?

Both alternators will fit out the bottom with very little hassle, ask me how I know
img_4221.jpg   img_4225.jpg   img_4233.jpg   img_4232.jpg   img_4231.jpg  

img_4229.jpg   img_4230.jpg   img_4227.jpg   img_4235.jpg  
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #65
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm content with the capacity of the stock alternator, but would prefer to find a smaller pully if available. Just a bit more speed at idle would allow it to produce a lot more current and the 4.0 doesn't spin fast enough to cause problems on the upper end. Gets annoying having the lights dim slightly when stopped at night but as soon as RPM slightly increases, they return to normal.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #66
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
I'm content with the capacity of the stock alternator, but would prefer to find a smaller pully if available. Just a bit more speed at idle would allow it to produce a lot more current and the 4.0 doesn't spin fast enough to cause problems on the upper end. Gets annoying having the lights dim slightly when stopped at night but as soon as RPM slightly increases, they return to normal.
I think you are over thinking this. It is not an upgrade you should pull a working alternator for. It is an upgrade that is often times cheaper than a straight replacement. Going to a smaller pulley is probably going to lead to faster wear on your alternator and your belt.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #67
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojang View Post
I think you are over thinking this. It is not an upgrade you should pull a working alternator for. It is an upgrade that is often times cheaper than a straight replacement. Going to a smaller pulley is probably going to lead to faster wear on your alternator and your belt.
What exactly am I over thinking?

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 08-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #68
TwIsTeD OfF
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
What exactly am I over thinking?
I think maybe he should have read your entire post before replying. LOL

A slightly smaller pulley should bump up the amperage at idle.

Please post up a source if you find one.
Thanks
TwIsTeD OfF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #69
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIsTeD OfF View Post
I think maybe he should have read your entire post before replying. LOL

A slightly smaller pulley should bump up the amperage at idle.

Please post up a source if you find one.
Thanks
I think you're correct.

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #70
bwpilot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ba...ction-1368144/

^ that's what you wanna do for a wiring upgrade. It will totally cure any dimming light issues with a stock alternator. It's all 4 guage wire with all new grounds and pos leads. I used a breaker between alt and battery for those times when I'm stuck way out in Moab. The stock wiring harness sucks.
bwpilot20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #71
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting, saved that page, thanks! I'll give it a try. I notice the dash volt gauge isn't quite where it should be(little low), if it's a real volt gauge, which I doubt.

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #72
bwpilot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My volt gauge sits just below 14 and it didn't change when I did the upgrade.
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #73
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpilot20 View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ba...ction-1368144/

^ that's what you wanna do for a wiring upgrade. It will totally cure any dimming light issues with a stock alternator. It's all 4 guage wire with all new grounds and pos leads. I used a breaker between alt and battery for those times when I'm stuck way out in Moab. The stock wiring harness sucks.
What's the purpose behind the breaker?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #74
bwpilot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Normally you would use a mega fuse or an ANL fuse between the alt and battery in case the regulator on the alt goes haywire and causes the alt to overcharge the battery. The stock wiring uses a fusible link to achieve this protection. I used a breaker just in case I ever need to force a recharge out in the bush or manually break the connection for whatever reason. The fusible link design uses a section of smaller gauge wire and defeats the purpose of an upgrade.
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #75
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpilot20 View Post
My volt gauge sits just below 14 and it didn't change when I did the upgrade.
Mine dips at idle slightly, below running normal. Same time when the lights dim a bit.

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.