UPDATE: hi-amp alternator swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > UPDATE: hi-amp alternator swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #31
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 160 amp in my 99 napa rebuilt. I wont use autozone's duracrap i see that crap go bad all the time at work.

4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #32
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

another trick I had done years ago was to install a smaller pulley on the alt that way you still had a normal idle speed but helping out the charging issue . I picked it up where you can buy under drive pulleys which was to slow down all of the things connected to the fan belt to gain some HP but then on some vehicles they found that they created charging issues and had to sell smaller atl pulleys to speed up the alternator again .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #33
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4.0l sahara, do you have the 160 amp alt on a 4.0 or a 2.5? Can i make the 160amp alt work on my 98 2.5 se?

anybody?
EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #34
wrangler1988
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara View Post
I have a 160 amp in my 99 napa rebuilt. I wont use autozone's duracrap i see that crap go bad all the time at work.
Do you have a part number for that? I can only find the 136amp at napa???
wrangler1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #35
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So let me get this straight, if I were to order a higher amp alternator for a 04 Durango 4.9l from advance auto or someone, it would bolt up to my 97?

Edit: No such thing as a 4.9L 04 Durango, I'm assuming whoever posted that earlier meant 4.7L.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #36
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, this is what I ordered (could never find one still on a Durango in the yards). Then cut the extra "tang" off of the back to clear the coil pack.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...SAMS_539226727___

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #37
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
So let me get this straight, if I were to order a higher amp alternator for a 04 Durango 4.9l from advance auto or someone, it would bolt up to my 97?

Edit: No such thing as a 4.9L 04 Durango, I'm assuming whoever posted that earlier meant 4.7L.
No. Read this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
Today my Dad and I swapped alternators on our TJs. There have been several threads lately about this but there was a bit of confusion on the earlier models. We both used Duralast alternators that we bought at Autozone. They easily bolted on with no fitment issues.

For my 98 w/ 4.0 : Autozone part #13387 136amp, is a DIRECT FIT. No changes are needed. This is an option for 1998 Dodge truck/Durango w/ 5.9 V8. Price was $147.00

For A 2003 w/ 4.0 : Autozone part #12328 160amp, is a DIRECT FIT. No changes are needed. This is for a 2004 Dodge Durango w/ 4.7 V8. Price was $121.00.

As I mentioned, for a '98 and an '03, these were direct fits and a great upgrade for the money spent.
The one for the 136 would probably work for you, pretty sure the 160 will not.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #38
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojang View Post
No. Read this again.

The one for the 136 would probably work for you, pretty sure the 160 will not.
Oh, I thought he meant they swapped alternators between their Jeep. Got it now.
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #39
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this was asked before, but can the wrangler wiring handle the extra amps the new alt throws out?

any one?
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #40
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all

someone asked csn this fit a 2.5?? they are very simimular to a 4.0??
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #41
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OUTSTANDING POST!!!
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #42
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this was asked before, but can the wrangler wiring handle the extra amps the new alt throws out?

any one?
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #43
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post

any one?
The output of the Alternator doesn't matter for circuit wire size unless you ADD more load to the circuit /wiring in question. You could have a 1000 amp alternator as long as the LOAD your using doesn't draw more current than the wire designed to carry the current is designed to handle. The load on the end of the circuit determines what the wire size should be. For instance:

Say that A Stock OEM 55 watt headlights draws 10 amps at 14 volts, The circuit is fused at 15 amps. The current draw would be around 8-10 amps The wires in the circuit would designed to handle 15 amps without limiting current flow(overheating).

Then you purchase some 100 watt lights and install them in the same circuit. That circuit would be drawing close to 14 amps and the wires would be at their MAX current rating.

All the loads in your jeep will remain the same and will draw NO MORE current than they did with the Old OEM alternator. If you add a new circuit (like an electric Fan) you should install wires designed to carry the current draw of the new electric fan. The circuit will also be FUSED to properly protect the circuit.

The higher amp alternator shines when you turn ALL you jeep loads on. You will see less light dimming and less voltage fluctuations because the Alternator can provide the proper current for more loads.

For those that have MONSTER Stereos, some BASE Hits can draw 40 amps for a very short period of time. With all the other jeep loads on the alternator, you can easily overload a stock OEM alternator.

BC
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #44
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some stuff to add:

Quoted from the link below-

Quote:
If you have an alternator that can produce 120 amps of current (max) and the the total current demand from the electrical accessories (including the battery) is only 20 amps, the alternator will only produce the necessary current (20 amps) to maintain the target voltage (which is determined by the alternator's internal voltage regulator). Remember that the alternator monitors the electrical system's voltage. If the voltage starts to fall below the target voltage (approximately 13.8 volts depending on the alternator's design), the alternator produces more current to keep the voltage up. When the demand for current is low, the full current capacity of the alternator is not used/produced (a 120 amp alternator does not continuously produce 120 amps unless there is a sufficient current draw).
This is why if you have a large stereo system and there is a long bass note, the car lights may "flicker" or dim. If they flicker that means the voltage regulator is just slower to increase the current. If they dim that means you are pulling more amps than the alternator can produce.

So if you upgrade to a higher output alternator upgraded wiring isn't necessary. However if you upgrade to a higher output alternator, and add more accessories then you should upgrade the cables. Another thing is you don't have to tear out all the cable and add big thick ones. Simply adding another larger gauge wire in parallel will accomplish the same thing.

If anyone want to read more about the subject, check out this link: http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #45
nj95yj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver97tj View Post
Hi all

someone asked csn this fit a 2.5?? they are very simimular to a 4.0??
i would like to know if and what does fit the 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.