Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #121
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

FINALLY got my Jeep back. It drives a bit different. Now i'm going to try to educate it to NOT shift at 45mph, since they reset and reflashed the TCM with the latest and greatest program.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #122
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Different in a good or bad way?

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #123
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
Different in a good or bad way?
haven't decided yet. need to put more miles on it.
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #124
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Unlmtd04 all your threads come back to the 42rle sooner or later! Might be prudent to go for another fluid change with the guys who caught the debris just to be sure the rebuild was tidy. Good luck with the new pieces. I hope your vaca. wasn't totally shot from the loos of the LJ. Our winter cabin trip was stifled by WalMart Lube Express jamming a wrench on my alternator and frying a hole in it. The jeep was packed and all. We switched vehicles but the time away was a little overshadowed by the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
turn the key to the on position, turn the headlights on, then off, along with turning off the key.... that resets the computer and will have to relearn your driving habitts..
At first read this was maybe the funniest post I ever read on JF. Jeep hocus-pocus shouldn't surprise me anymore.

After resetting my LJ the ?stall? (hi rev without upshift) got nice and high around town in D with OD on, it is staying in 1 better off-road too. As long as I stay mostly off the gas, before it would just idle right up through the gears between stop signs and then stumble to get me into 1 as I roll to a stop shuddering. No upshifts in D off road on a decline either.
As for highway I immediately noticed an ability to keep it in three as long as I don't fluctuate the accelerator at all. Climbing a hill I can maintain 3 on a hill with a slight steady increase in accelerator too. But once I crest a hill it goes right to four. That's when I go for the button anymore.
I plan to reset again now that I know the game and have been more accustom to "tranny training".
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #125
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Rokmen rock sliders underway - got em used for a good price. No idea how 'used' rockers come to be, but whatever I saved a ton of money since I got everything- rocker gaskets, internal reinforcement braces, all hardware and the sliders. There was a few scratches on the passenger side, but other than that they were in good shape. I had a set of aluminum BDO's originally, then decided I didn't want to go with aluminum and drill through the body, so I traded those off, then got a set of Garvin frame mounted rock sliders, but decided I wanted body mounted steel for more complete protection...so basically I've been very indecisive. Finally settled on Rokmen's after seeing a friends rig and meeting the Rokmen guys.

So I sanded them down with fine grit sandpaper - cleaned all rust, loose paint and sealant off.

Primed with this stuff, and lightly sanded again to ensure a smooth surface.

About herniated myself doing a test fit today. Found out I've got interference with the PSC roll cage bolt that goes through the floor and the rock sliders. I couldn't get the sliders in place without a better floor jack and more wood, so I've got to look at my friends rig and how his mount. I'd prefer to tie to slides into the cage, but I may just end up grinding out a section to clear the bolt. Theres already a slot in the slider for drainage, but its not near big enough to clear the bolt, and I can't even tell if it lines up right. The PSC cage bolt is like 1", so this isn't going to be much fun. I don't even know if my drill could torque through 1" of steel, even if I had the right bit. The rockers fit around my Kilby body clamz, but it will make install a bit more complicated, just more wiggling.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 07-29-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #126
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Updates!

Got an alignment done again (Firestone lifetime thing) - was toed out 0.58* total since the lift settled. I had some death wobble issues going on, and the drivers side wheel bearing was subsequently killed. Now the toe-in is correctly set and it drives beautifully. No wobbles, no harmonics and tight steering all the way up to 70mph. Caster actually got worse - was 3.9*/4.0*, about a 0.5* drop since the first alignment. Weird. Next up...I'd like to find a Currie steering setup or a ZJ tie-rod...patiently waiting for the right cheap price

CB roll bar mount is finished, I couldn't take the bright silver look so I had to paint it black -

Also made a new third brake light and CB antenna mount - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...postcount=2033

I got the Rokmen sliders finished - 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of semi-gloss black, 2 coats of black Hammered finish, 2 coats of Clearcoat. Opened the drain slot up a bit with a grinder so I can tie them into the PSC cage. I plan to install them next weekend.

The quality on these Rokmen's is amazing. Its hard to explain till you see them in person, the welds are literally perfect, the fit is awesome and the bare metal itself is extremely clean.
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #127
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think the sliders come up for sale when something such as the Savvy sliders come out. People think they need the latest thing so they ditch their perfectly fine sliders. What kind of deal did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #128
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I think the sliders come up for sale when something such as the Savvy sliders come out. People think they need the latest thing so they ditch their perfectly fine sliders. What kind of deal did you get?
i don't know the story behind it, tried to ask but the seller was quite secretive, really weird. I did ask enough questions to ensure they weren't stolen or anything tho. $250 for the sliders + internal reinforcements + rocker gaskets + all hardware. I'm only missing like 4 washers, and I've got plenty of spare Grade 8s at home. Thats $550 worth of stuff according to their website. I've got just over $50 in paint + painting supplies into it too. These things are REALLY heavy - they must be 50-60lbs each. But hey, I don't care, the price was right and its a slug with 42RLE anyway, plus these will tie into the PSC cage perfectly.

I had thought about the aluminum thing for a long time - I went back and forth on design aspects, weight and frame vs body mounted for several years, but I just gotta bite the bullet and start drilling some holes. Rockers should help me be a little less worried on trails.

And today I just figured out my Jeep has to go BACK to the stealership - the damn front passenger side axle seal is leaking again. They just replaced it in Sept of last year under warranty too. . Damn if it isn't one thing its another...

Last edited by Unlimited04; 08-02-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #129
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Got the sliders on:

Full coverage with the Kilby body mount skids:

Internal Reinforcements

Tied into the roll cage with one 5/16" bolt and one 1" bolt.

Theres a 1/16" rubber gasket against the mounting surface (held on with construction adhesive), a rubber door gasket around the lip, one tube of silicon caulk and one can of undercoating in there to keep rust at bay.

I put grip tape on the bars to use as a step - that didn't even last 12 hours. Horrible idea. I ripped them off this morning after removing a chunk of skin from my leg like I had a fight with a belt sander.

The paint is black "Hammered" finish, the internal black paint is rattle can "Plasti-Coat". It did a sweet job on my battery tray, so I figured I'd give it a shot on the floor.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 08-10-2009 at 08:49 PM..
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #130
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice find!

are you still messing with a trans temp gadge that will run off the tranny's thermistor?

here's some stuff I ran across while doing some diagnostics on a 42rle...

the thermistor puts out 1.8 v at 100 degrees..

the violet wire at t54 on the TCM is the temp wire.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #131
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

o0o nice mudb8.

I've also got the two stage voltage graph from the 42RLE's temp sensor (in the FSM), which i forwarded to Scangauge some time back. They got back to me, and while the graph shows what voltage = what temp, it doesn't specify where in the PCM/TCM that data is stored, which is whats needed access it from the X-Gauge. They claim they're working on it tho. I'll forward those pages and see if that helps.

I'd love to get a temp gauge into the Scangauge...my dash is cluttered enough as it is with CB, GPS, radar detector, Scangauge, cell phone, iPod, roll cage, kitchen sink, etc...
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #132
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
o0o nice mudb8.

I've also got the two stage voltage graph from the 42RLE's temp sensor (in the FSM), which i forwarded to Scangauge some time back. They got back to me, and while the graph shows what voltage = what temp, it doesn't specify where in the PCM/TCM that data is stored, which is whats needed access it from the X-Gauge. They claim they're working on it tho. I'll forward those pages and see if that helps.

I'd love to get a temp gauge into the Scangauge...my dash is cluttered enough as it is with CB, GPS, radar detector, Scangauge, cell phone, iPod, roll cage, kitchen sink, etc...
I'd like to believe ya could tap into the t54 wire that comes from the thermistor to a gauge that's compatible with the voltage.... haven't messed with much of that stuff tho..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #133
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I'd like to believe ya could tap into the t54 wire that comes from the thermistor to a gauge that's compatible with the voltage.... haven't messed with much of that stuff tho..
yea, you probably could, but you'd need a gauge that understands the voltage. The 42RLE has a two stage sensor, so its linear in two sections with varying voltage across both spectrums.

The X-Guage is hopefully the ticket tho - digital programming
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #134
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I love your build and how similar it is to mine. Coming along nicely!
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #135
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Update!

The current state:

Rocky Mountain National Park

It drives wonderful, better than stock! In fact, the other day on the highway playing follow the leader, I looked down and was going 85mph. I thought...damn this drives nice at 85mph for a lifted Jeep! Only issue is a very slight steering harmonic/shimmy at 49-50mph ONLY. I'm guessing its very slight difference in tire balance, a result in the change of scrub radius or maybe the other wheel bearing is on its way out. Could also be because one tire has more tread than the other, who knows.... I can definitely feel the difference in caster, especially with the steering wheel being quite a bit easier to turn. I can see this making over-correction on the highway a bit more cautious. I'd like to get back to 5.5* or so of caster eventually...but its no biggy since it drives great now. The lift did settle about an 1", and sits slightly nose down with the engine skid & rockers on - just the way I like it. I haven't taken my hard top off this year , but it may raise the rear quite a bit...guess i'll find out next year Also did a half-arsed job at changing my brake fluid since it was at 4-5% moisture. Brakes a bit better, probably down to 2-3% or so now.

Oh, and this is an elk from RMNP

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.