Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #91
LJlunatic
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thats because its a brand new design, I got one from the first production run on the new design and it wasn't on the website when I bought it. I just had to call and talk to tech.

LJlunatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #92
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have a pic of the wires that are chewed up? Are they the 241 harness wires to the PCM? If they are you might get lucky and be able to reuse the 231 harness and connector. But with out a pic I am just guessing.

x2 on giving them a call. Ask for the SK3x.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #93
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The wires are cut flush to the speedo sensor housing.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #94
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Found the Vehicle Speed Sensor (I hope) - AIRTEX Part # 5S4942

Ordered ACDELCO PT724 and AIRTEX 1S4219 for the 4wd light too.

I'll post more info when I get everything.

Watching the craigslist for Rubi front driveshafts...I think I can swap the axle side u-joint to a 1310/1330 instead of swapping the front yoke. For $20 its worth a shot.
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #95
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I forgot about the 241 having that pig tail connector for the speedo. All I could picture was the 231 connector.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #96
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Updated post # 69 with pictures on how to upgrade to a stronger Class 12.9 bolt. I can do a write-up if anyone's interested, but its should be straightforward.
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #97
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Found the Vehicle Speed Sensor - AIRTEX Part # 5S4942
I just got this part and installed it. I can confirm it is the VSS for a Rubi t-case.

I also used this thread to get the 4wd light parts:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/np241j-rock-trac-transfer-case-4wd-switch-revealed-651308/

T-case is still sitting in my living room, so I don't know if any of this works tho....
Unread 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #98
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How long of a bolt did you use for the track bar? I'm at work right now and we have lots of Class 12.9 M10 Socket heads. I'd like to do it this weekend and get the bolt before I leave.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #99
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Did you ever have that transmission shifter kit installed? If so, any noticable differences?
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #100
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

And the 42RLE issues begin....

Just had a local trans shop drop the pan and replace the filters and do the partial fluid change. They were significantly cheaper than the dealer, even tho I had them use Mopar filters and ATF4+.

They found a piece of a snap ring and lots of metal fillings stuck to the magnet. Lots of brass shavings in the fluid. Took it to the dealership with the piece of the snap ring and this info, looks like I need a trans rebuild or possibly an entirely new trans. I'll know more Wednesday when the stealership gets the trans disassembled. To top it off, since the Chrysler factories have been shut down, there is a huge parts shortage and I might not have a Jeep for a week or more...waiting for parts. Welp, the powertrain warranty should pay for itself with this one.

The trans shifts fine and I see no signs of slippage, service manager at the dealership said the TCM likely compensated for the damage by increasing the line pressure to keep slippage minimized.

I also learned the 42RLE's shift points can be 'reprogrammed' if you get the TCM reflashed back to its completely virgin state using the StarSCAN - just like it came off the assembly line. You then need to shift manually for a week - at the points you want the trans to shift. It will ***SUPPOSEDLY*** learn the new shift points.
Unread 07-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #101
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

and to top it off, my left front unit bearing is toast. today is quickly getting expensive...
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #102
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
And the 42RLE issues begin....

Just had a local trans shop drop the pan and replace the filters and do the partial fluid change. They were significantly cheaper than the dealer, even tho I had them use Mopar filters and ATF4+.

They found a piece of a snap ring and lots of metal fillings stuck to the magnet. Lots of brass shavings in the fluid. Took it to the dealership with the piece of the snap ring and this info, looks like I need a trans rebuild or possibly an entirely new trans. I'll know more Wednesday when the stealership gets the trans disassembled. To top it off, since the Chrysler factories have been shut down, there is a huge parts shortage and I might not have a Jeep for a week or more...waiting for parts. Welp, the powertrain warranty should pay for itself with this one.

The trans shifts fine and I see no signs of slippage, service manager at the dealership said the TCM likely compensated for the damage by increasing the line pressure to keep slippage minimized.

I also learned the 42RLE's shift points can be 'reprogrammed' if you get the TCM reflashed back to its completely virgin state using the StarSCAN - just like it came off the assembly line. You then need to shift manually for a week - at the points you want the trans to shift. It will ***SUPPOSEDLY*** learn the new shift points.
send or post a pic for me... there aren't any snap rings in there that would end up in the pan and still allow the trans to opererate. metal filings are completely normal... the size of them is what matters. I've built so many of those things, I could prolly tell you where it came from. it's most likely a sealing ring.

turn the key to the on position, turn the headlights on, then off, along with turning off the key.... that resets the computer and will have to relearn your driving habitts..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #103
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
send or post a pic for me... there aren't any snap rings in there that would end up in the pan and still allow the trans to opererate. metal filings are completely normal... the size of them is what matters. I've built so many of those things, I could prolly tell you where it came from. it's most likely a sealing ring.

turn the key to the on position, turn the headlights on, then off, along with turning off the key.... that resets the computer and will have to relearn your driving habitts..
I don't know if I can get a pic of it, its real small. Its only about twice the size of an eraser head. Its magnetic obviously, has a slight curvature to it, maybe 1-2mm thick by 1-2mm width. Definitely a piece of something thats larger in diameter.

I know metal filings are normal, but apparently this was a large amount - more than normal. Also theres lots of brass shavings in the fluid. All this probably indicating the clutches are toast or close to it, according to the dealership & the local shop.

I talked with the service manager at the stealership at length, its only going to cost me the deductible of the powertrain warranty, and they will at least rebuild my trans. I may get an entirely new (remaned by Chrysler) trans if the rebuild cost is over 70% of the cost of the new trans. Either way, I get a 3 yr / 100k warranty. So as long as the parts supply for the 42RLE isn't completely dry, I should get my Jeep back in a week or so...just in time to drive across the country for a big fishing trip I have planned.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 07-06-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #104
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i'm amazed at my Nikon's macro setting

I did see the sparkly brass in the fluid in the pan, and I did see quite a bit of metal stuck to the magnet - it looked like a handful of sand.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 07-06-2009 at 10:04 PM..
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #105
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

mudb8, any idea wtf that piece is? I'm taking this POS trans in tomorrow to be fixed/rebuilt/replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.