Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #496
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
....behind a supercharged 4.7L stroker

how's your jeep coming along? do you need help flinging parts?
Just waiting on parts from Gerald (Savvy).
When I start wrenching I will give you a call, it's always nice to have an extra set of hands on standby.

Unread 10-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #497
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
We saw four cow moose, one bull moose, one nice bull elk and one small buck mule deer. For as large an area as we covered, that's absolutely horrible. It was almost like a spaceship landed and sucked all the wildlife up.
Aaaaaand which one is now in the freezer?
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #498
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
Just waiting on parts from Gerald (Savvy).
When I start wrenching I will give you a call, it's always nice to have an extra set of hands on standby.
I've got two sets of springs compressors, so we can make quick work of the suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Aaaaaand which one is now in the freezer?
none of them, unfortunately

there's always next year....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #499
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

making some shock relocation mount for the front, to run N66L for 4" lift, on 2" of lift, with only 1.375" bumpstop extension (2" normally required).

Cut two pieces of 1"x2"x3/16" C-channel. Set the shocks on top of them, and marked an outline with a sharpie.

Used a bench top drill press to drill four holes, then cut the center out with a jig saw.

Repeatedly test fit the shocks, and nibbled the rest of the material out using a dremel, die-grinder with cutting wheel, and a file.

Once the shock fit well, I marked the locations of the bolt holes and drilled a pilot hole, then a 5/16" hole for the shock bolts.

The plan is to cut the stock shock mount off, and reinforce the remaining hole in the spring bucket with some plate.

Then mount the new fabricated shock mount about 1" lower than the stock mounting plane, against the lower control arm mount.

Also fabricated rear relocation mounts out of a scrap piece of 2x5x3/16". Will be running N67L shocks for 4" lift, on 2" of lift, with ~1.5" bumpstop extension (2.5" normally required).

Here's the reasoning behind the change:
Current front shock length:
N66: 9" travel, 13.2" compressed length (14.2" with 1" extension), ~5" uptravel / ~4" downtravel
New front shock length, with relocated mount:
N66L: 11" travel, 15.5" compressed length, ~5" uptravel / ~6" downtravel
downtravel gain: ~2"

Current rear shock length:
N67: 8.8" travel, 13.3" compressed length, ~5" uptravel / ~4" downtravel
New rear shock length, with relocated mount:
N66L: 10" travel, 14.5" compressed length, ~5" uptravel / ~5" downtravel
downtravel gain: ~1"

Going for something like this:

from CB3's build done by mudb8: Yellow, Red, Long and Soft....

More to come later....
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #500
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #501
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

just came across your build..subbed for a future read

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #502
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
Finished an week long expedition/hunting trip with the trailer. It carried a wall tent, wood burning stove and plenty of camping gear roughly 600 miles With a full load, going up a pass kills the power bad...damn 42RLE...since I don't want to bounce the motor off the rev limiter, the top speed is about 40mph or less at times.

Sounds like my trip to Colorado in my Jeep. We were fully loaded plus a cargo carrier with some stuff. Once we hit that initial climb right outside Denver I basically had to fly over to the right lane. I knew it would struggle somewhat in the mountains but man. TJ definitely struggled from that point on in all mountain grades/passes. Getting my new axles in will help for sure since they have 4.10's compared to my stock 3.55 with 285's. But its had me seriously thinking about a V8 swap over the winter before we return next summer. Its just too hard on the 4.0, sometimes i was holding 3500 rpm for several minutes.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #503
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post
Sounds like my trip to Colorado in my Jeep. We were fully loaded plus a cargo carrier with some stuff. Once we hit that initial climb right outside Denver I basically had to fly over to the right lane. I knew it would struggle somewhat in the mountains but man. TJ definitely struggled from that point on in all mountain grades/passes. Getting my new axles in will help for sure since they have 4.10's compared to my stock 3.55 with 285's. But its had me seriously thinking about a V8 swap over the winter before we return next summer. Its just too hard on the 4.0, sometimes i was holding 3500 rpm for several minutes.
The transmission and gearing make a huge difference as well as the transmission choice - both with stock 3.55 gears and 30s, as well as with 4.56 and 33x10.50, my '96 XJ could fly up I-70 west of Denver. The transmission was an AW-4 in that. With 31s and 3.73s in the LJ, I might be able to stay out of the right lane if the downshift gods are kind...but it's rare.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #504
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Well I plan on getting the 8.8 and 30 with the 4.10's in over the winter. Hopefully that alone makes a nice difference. With your experience with the trailer, do you think its easier on the Jeep pulling the same weight with the trailer or loading everything inside the jeep and on a cargo carrier? Trying to figure out if the trailer will be beneficial.
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #505
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post
Well I plan on getting the 8.8 and 30 with the 4.10's in over the winter. Hopefully that alone makes a nice difference. With your experience with the trailer, do you think its easier on the Jeep pulling the same weight with the trailer or loading everything inside the jeep and on a cargo carrier? Trying to figure out if the trailer will be beneficial.
the trailer doesn't help aerodynamics or maneuverability at all. no matter what, a trailer always makes driving more of a pain in the butt than no trailer...another thing you have to watch, look over/around, backing up, tight turns, parking, etc.

just for that reason alone, I'm not towing my trailer unless I need the extra space.

As for a cargo carrier, I'd rather have a trailer. I'm not into loading heavy crap on top of my Jeep. i do have a hitch mounted carrier for a little bit of overflow, like firewood or a fish cooler...I built it raised for off-road use. it is described in this thread. I have only used it once or twice.

btw, with 33s, 4.10s will be better than 3.55s....but ideally, you want 4.56s with your particular transmission, not 4.10s.
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #506
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Ok thanks for the advice. I agree about the pita with backing up, turning around, etc. Maybe i'll stick with the cargo carrier for now.
As for the gear ratios, your probably right but I'm not spending $1500-2000 on regearing. This was the cheap way to gear down and gain strength in the rear.
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #507
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Kinda what I was thinking.

Exhaust updates.

Front pre-cat - still good

Rear pre-cat - notice the honeycomb has broken loose - this is why I got the CEL & P0432, and the engine compartment got so hot - half the passageway was blocked with that honeycomb turned sideways & just floating around in there.

From my research this is a common problem with the late model TJ/LJ and some owners our on their 2nd or 3rd replacement. I just dealt with the same issue except I was receiving P0431. Fortunately I was still covered under the 8 year/80K Federal Emissions Warranty and the local dealership took care of it. They completely overlooked the Savvy Modular Under Armour and other mods which was nice.

Now that I am in Colorado you need to show me where to wheel .

06 Silver LJ
Savvy 4" lift with aluminum CA -- Currie AntiRock (Front) -- Currie F/R Trackbars -- Savvy Modular Under Armor
BF Goodrich T/A KO 285/75/16 on 16" Moab powdercoated black -- Vanco 16" big brake kit
JeeperMan swing-away tire carrier with tub extensions (JSPUex)
Four X Doctor Rocker Guards
Hella E-Code Housings -- ARB H4 Headlight Harness (M002) -- KC 130 watt SlimLite mounted on windshield
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #508
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

wow, i haven't checked this in a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man View Post
my '96 XJ could fly up I-70 west of Denver. The transmission was an AW-4 in that.
yea, the difference between the drive-ability of the AW4 vs the 42RLE is pretty crazy. my friend's old XJ used to kick my arse on I-70...even though I'm geared better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
Now that I am in Colorado you need to show me where to wheel .
sure. watch the Colorado section too. I'll try to shoot you a PM when a few of us are going to do hit the trails this summer. Most stuff won't be open till June/July timeframe, depending how much snow we end up with in the mountains. The wildfires may be bad this year too...

anyway...been too busy with work, snowboarding & other stuff to do more work on the shock mounts.

My alternator decided to give out. Installed a reman Duralast 160A Durango alternator. I still need to upgrade the wiring to the battery.

Making some slow progress on the trailer lid:

Unread 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #509
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
sure. watch the Colorado section too. I'll try to shoot you a PM when a few of us are going to do hit the trails this summer. Most stuff won't be open till June/July timeframe, depending how much snow we end up with in the mountains. The wildfires may be bad this year too...
Are the trails actually off limits in the winter or do you just avoid snow wheeling (I am not sure I can wait that long )?

I would love to check out your rig sometime and see how the transmission cooler is setup. I have a Derale direct fit transmission kit I picked up on clearance but do not like how it mounts behind the transfer case on the frame rail. I am debating selling it and just mounting a generic cooler in front of the radiator.

06 Silver LJ
Savvy 4" lift with aluminum CA -- Currie AntiRock (Front) -- Currie F/R Trackbars -- Savvy Modular Under Armor
BF Goodrich T/A KO 285/75/16 on 16" Moab powdercoated black -- Vanco 16" big brake kit
JeeperMan swing-away tire carrier with tub extensions (JSPUex)
Four X Doctor Rocker Guards
Hella E-Code Housings -- ARB H4 Headlight Harness (M002) -- KC 130 watt SlimLite mounted on windshield
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #510
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
Are the trails actually off limits in the winter or do you just avoid snow wheeling (I am not sure I can wait that long )?

I would love to check out your rig sometime and see how the transmission cooler is setup. I have a Derale direct fit transmission kit I picked up on clearance but do not like how it mounts behind the transfer case on the frame rail. I am debating selling it and just mounting a generic cooler in front of the radiator.
Some trails have gates, some don't. Personally snow wheeling doesn't appeal to me, that's assuming I even have time to go wheeling during the school year...

I'll leave the snow for skiing and summer sun for top and doors off wheeling.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.