Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #481
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
oh cool...I didn't see you

I didn't get up this past weekend...it was also good weather for painting a trailer

Sean, I may try to get a trip to Red Cone/Radical Hill/Saints John together in 3 weekends or so if you are interested. Probably be a Sunday, but I'll know more in a 2 weeks or so.
Sounds good to me, keep me posted. Hopefully I can make it this time, fall colors should be good too.

Unread 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #482
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Trailer mostly done for now....passed inspection and has plates

Pulled over 100 miles so far...follows the Jeep very nicely.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #483
55willystruck

Quote:
....passed inspection and has plates
Isn't that a great feeling!

Looks great, Congrats!

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #484
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04, what rear bumper do you have?
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #485
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980 View Post
Unlimited04, what rear bumper do you have?
see username "knoblockbumpers" on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-REAR-Bu...item2ec18dfdec

I had him make it 60" wide instead of 58", with longer corner guards for the LJ.

I've got a front bumper by him too, but I removed it when I installed the winch.
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #486
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Finished an week long expedition/hunting trip with the trailer. It carried a wall tent, wood burning stove and plenty of camping gear roughly 600 miles With a full load, going up a pass kills the power bad...damn 42RLE...since I don't want to bounce the motor off the rev limiter, the top speed is about 40mph or less at times.

Unread 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #487
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, looks like you had a good time.

Also, I tended to my knuckle divots last night. Worked like a charm.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #488
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Damn, looks like you had a good time.

Also, I tended to my knuckle divots last night. Worked like a charm.
Glad the knuckle fix worked for you

We did have a good time. We hiked around 6-10 miles a day, over some very rough, steep terrain. One of those days included about 1200 ft elevation change to 12k ft, climbing over and though blown down trees. I ate probably 4-5000 calories a day, and still lost 6 pounds.

We saw four cow moose, one bull moose, one nice bull elk and one small buck mule deer. For as large an area as we covered, that's absolutely horrible. It was almost like a spaceship landed and sucked all the wildlife up.
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #489
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Glad the knuckle fix worked for you

We did have a good time. We hiked around 6-10 miles a day, over some very rough, steep terrain. One of those days included about 1200 ft elevation change to 12k ft, climbing over and though blown down trees. I ate probably 4-5000 calories a day, and still lost 6 pounds.

We saw four cow moose, one bull moose, one nice bull elk and one small buck mule deer. For as large an area as we covered, that's absolutely horrible. It was almost like a spaceship landed and sucked all the wildlife up.
Do you use an altimeter watch or gps to track your hikes?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #490
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Do you use an altimeter watch or gps to track your hikes?
GPS (the Jeep mount is described here).
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #491
tweenerlj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Finished an week long expedition/hunting trip with the trailer. It carried a wall tent, wood burning stove and plenty of camping gear roughly 1000 miles With a full load, going up a pass kills the power bad...damn 42RLE...since I don't want to bounce the motor off the rev limiter, the top speed is about 40mph or less at times.
Bummer...You have an estimate as to how much weight you were pulling? I rented this and towed it about 100 miles:

This trailer was way too much for the jeep. Wind drag is bad on the Jeep to begin with. Put this brick behind it and it is much worse! Never again! The dry weight of this trailer is 1400lbs.

This spring, I took this setup out (borrowed the trailer from a friend).

It pulled much easier, I figured because of no extra wind drag like the camp trailer. However, I never did tackle many good hills on the highway with where I traveled and I was able to maintain at least 55MPH on the 4 lane roads without rev-ing too high (I do realize that I have 35s and you have 33s). 40MPH is not too bad if you are on a windy 2-lane mountain pass road, but if you ran into that on a 4 lane higher speed limit road, that would stink.

Anyway, just comparing pictures, I would figure that your trailer couldn't be loaded much heavier than the way that I loaded the CDN M101 that I borrowed.
tweenerlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #492
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweenerlj View Post
Bummer...You have an estimate as to how much weight you were pulling?
Anyway, just comparing pictures, I would figure that your trailer couldn't be loaded much heavier than the way that I loaded the CDN M101 that I borrowed.
yea, my trailer probably weighed around 800+lbs loaded, total. just a wild guess tho. also keep in mind my Jeep was fully loaded with a couple hundred lbs of gear, I couldn't even see out the back.

the bigger issue is the 42RLE's OD ratio is way too tall, the overall gear ratios are too far apart, and it sucks too much power out of the motor...especially for the steep 12,000+ ft elevation passes I have to climb in Colorado. For reference, my buddy pulled the trailer with his '95 3/4 ton 7.3L turbodiesel...and he couldn't even feel it. He made it over these same passes in 5th gear @ 60-65mph...and pulled away from me as I slowed down to 45-50mph w/o a load, and 40mph or less with a load. All pretty major highway passes, with speed limits in the 55-65mph range. Best I can do is keep the motor at 3000-3500rpms and live with whatever speed/gear that gives me.
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #493
tweenerlj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the bigger issue is the 42RLE's OD ratio is way too tall, the overall gear ratios are too far apart, and it sucks too much power out of the motor...especially for the steep 12,000+ ft elevation passes I have to climb in Colorado. For reference, my buddy pulled the trailer with his '95 3/4 ton 7.3L turbodiesel...and he couldn't even feel it. He made it over these same passes in 5th gear @ 60-65mph...and pulled away from me as I slowed down to 45-50mph w/o a load, and 40mph or less with a load. All pretty major highway passes, with speed limits in the 55-65mph range. Best I can do is keep the motor at 3000-3500rpms and live with whatever speed/gear that gives me.
I know the 42RLE very well, my jeep has it too. OD is even marginal with the Jeep empty, so I do understand. Thanks for sharing your experience. I really had my hopes up with my experience borrowing the little trailer that the Jeep would do well with it, but now you have me second-guessing that notion. I was loaded with the wife and two kids, and the area behind the seat packed with bags of clothing in addition to the 20 LB CO^2 tank and toolbox, so we must have been loaded fairly equivalent. You might have been slightly heavier in the Jeep. Again, my trip did not take me to steeper mountain passes on the highway. By the time that I got to that, it was on roads where the speed limit was very in line with what the Jeep would do.
tweenerlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #494
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

manual gear box

what ever it takes, it will be worth it.
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #495
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
manual gear box

what ever it takes, it will be worth it.
....behind a supercharged 4.7L stroker

how's your jeep coming along? do you need help flinging parts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.