Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #436
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
The difference this time was a CEL tripped for P0432 (main cat), dash buzzers going and all. Engine compartment was very very hot, and power/acceleration sucked. Appears the mini-cats have finally died....will be making a custom exhaust setup from manifold back to muffler to relocate the cats out of the engine compartment...my theory is this may reduce underhood temps, IAT's & tranny temps.
Just realize moving the cats away from the exhaust manifold will make them less efficient... not sure if that matters to you at all, just saying they stuck them up there for a reason.

"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #437
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if you do some serious hood louvers and a fan on the bottom of them pushing or pulling like a Hummer H1 has under the hood, if your temps would go down. Ive always been interested in your overheating problem and hope you find an easy/cool fix for it eventually.

Also, I think you are right about the cats making it hotter under the hood, are you going to totally ditch them when you do the turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #438
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
looks great man. I'm going to get my hands on an M101A2/A3 trailer one of these days
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
Just realize moving the cats away from the exhaust manifold will make them less efficient... not sure if that matters to you at all, just saying they stuck them up there for a reason.
yup, I understand. I've been trying to wrap my head around how & why they set it up like that, and have been looking at other models with similar multi-cat setups too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I wonder if you do some serious hood louvers and a fan on the bottom of them pushing or pulling like a Hummer H1 has under the hood, if your temps would go down. Ive always been interested in your overheating problem and hope you find an easy/cool fix for it eventually.

Also, I think you are right about the cats making it hotter under the hood, are you going to totally ditch them when you do the turbo?
I may not post too much about it on here, but I've got a few ideas up my sleeve. Not quite sure how it's all going to work yet, but it will be legal & pass emissions. The cats are there for good reason, and I'm a big advocator of preserving, maintaining & improving the environment I enjoy so much. I also want to build some flanges into the exhaust, so I can drop the downpipe more easily for access to the oil pan.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #439
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

imo it'd be best to get like a JBA header and rout the exhaust down and put in one of Mangaflows high-effeciency cat's in. there is a way to do it and still be environmentally friendly

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #440
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
May finally work up the courage to cut holes in the hood for the junkyard Grand Prix hood vents I've had for almost 2 years....here's the Oman4x4 hood vent write up reference.
I've had those hood vents for probably twice that time, and while I never had a problem working on my '96 XJ, I could never bring myself to cut the hood. The LJ is even nicer...so I think those vents are going to have to wait awhile.

The trailer is looking good - going to paint it to match?
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #441
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
imo it'd be best to get like a JBA header and rout the exhaust down and put in one of Mangaflows high-effeciency cat's in. there is a way to do it and still be environmentally friendly
Kinda what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man View Post
The trailer is looking good - going to paint it to match?
I'd love to do it in Patriot Blue, but I don't have the money. This is a low-budget build . I got some Monstaliner & chassis saver from a forum deal 2 years ago...I'll be doing my Jeep tub and the trailer at the same time. Exterior paint will be black or a silver/black combo.

--------------------------------------
Exhaust updates.

Front pre-cat - still good

Rear pre-cat - notice the honeycomb has broken loose - this is why I got the CEL & P0432, and the engine compartment got so hot - half the passageway was blocked with that honeycomb turned sideways & just floating around in there.

So I redid the downpipe and cat setup. Due to my tummy tuck, I had to modify things quite a bit.

I cut the hanger off this "direct-fit" replacement cat.

I test fit everything a whole bunch of times.

I removed the transmission mount, and cut the hanger mount in half, and ground down the outside lip, so that it could be lapped over and bolted together.

I had to cut and bend the cat hanger, and grind a little off the stamped/welded lip edge of the cat to clear the 42RLE's fat arse.

The "direct-fit" hanger was smaller in diameter & too short for the stock hanger, so I needed to improvise...I cut the head off an old 9/16" front track bar bolt and welded it on.

Finished product is painted with high temp paint:

Notice the flange to allow dropping the downpipe without removing the whole tummy tuck and assembly, if oil pan access is needed.

There's a bunch more to it....but if you'd like to know more, you'll just have to run into me on the trail and strike up a conversation

Edit: After using this setup for several months, I discovered two problems: the exhaust rattled and was too loose, and the front driveshaft boot was rubbing on the downpipe. In the process of taking the downpipe down, I noticed all the bolts on the tranny mount had come loose, and one had actually fallen out and was lost on the road. Apparently I didn't torque them enough, hopefully no damage was done to the aluminum housing. I made a second cat hanger, similar to the stock two-hanger setup, and the assembly is more stable now.

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #442
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work Mike! Nice to see someone tackling their exhaust work and doing it on their own. I will probably be hitting you up for some part numbers, the Rubicon has the same rattle that LT-J had when the pre-cats were wasted.

BTW, not ignoring your text about wheeling.
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #443
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know your install was a little more custom than mine, but the dealership just replaced all of my cats and exhaust from the muffler forward. I was throwing the P-0431 IIRC. Took it to a muffler shop who told me I had clog/random debris in two of the cats, but told me to check with the dealer before he would work on it.... because it might be under warranty (his daughter's LJ had this same problem the month before). Called the dealership who told me they cover emission up to 80,000 miles (I was at 71,*** and I am not the original owner). 1 day later...Done.

Did not mean to hi jack and your work looks great.
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #444
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
BTW, not ignoring your text about wheeling.
Thanks when are we working on your Jeep's gas tank, lift, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
1 day later...Done.

Did not mean to hi jack and your work looks great.
Thanks for the thought, but I'm over the 80k mile emissions warranty....plus I wanted to do some custom work My new Millermatic 211 paid for itself with this job.
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #445
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks when are we working on your Jeep's gas tank, lift, etc?
GTS is done : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...58/index3.html
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #446
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You always think outside the box.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #447
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
You always think outside the box.
He can't help it, they won't let him in the box in the first place.
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #448
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #449
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Last one is a great shot!
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #450
tdittyrocks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if you are planning on building a lid for your trailer or if these would work for your application, but I have 2 - 200# gas struts that you can have. They were a little light for my application and are collecting dust. Let me know if you want them.
tdittyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.