Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #406
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Your trailer sits higher than my jeep..lol

Unread 12-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #407
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Nice! Your trailer sits higher than my jeep..lol
yea, i'm not crazy about how high it sits actually. I tried to do spring under axle, but there was only like 1/2" of uptravel and it wasn't going to work unless i fabricated new spring mounts. so....i had to do spring over. I could have gotten the frame about 3" lower if I outboarded the springs, but that would have been even more work. I will eventually hang a spare tire, storage and fuel/water cans under the frame to keep the COG low.

I pulled it on the road up to about 40mph, and my friend followed me. he said it pulls well centered and straight behind the jeep like belongs there.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #408
55willystruck

Progress is looking good on the trailer. I had similar issues with my "bomb shelter" build and went spring over so I could match tires/rims with the Jeep. I'm at 28" clearance between ground and bottom of main frame currently. BUT, I've had it fully loaded a few times with pretty heavy loads, then pulled across uneven terrain-no issues, with the Lock and Roll hitch, it did very well. Better than expected even so I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Load it smart and you'll be fine. Looking at adding dual batteries to mine now for welder and winch duties... Probably going under the body, just above the axle for both batteries with leads running up to the tongue box for welder hookup, and whatever else I need there. We'll see how it works. Trying to keep any additional weight as low as possible. Likely have water tanks recessed in the frame as well at some point. How much does that weigh and are you adding sides? Looks pretty light-nice work!

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #409
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
Trying to keep any additional weight as low as possible. Likely have water tanks recessed in the frame as well at some point. How much does that weigh and are you adding sides? Looks pretty light-nice work!
been poking around on ebay the past hour and thinking of hanging an 120mm mortar ammo box or two under the frame for storage....thought i could shove water containers or fuel in there maybe. something with doors on both sides or pull out drawers would be perfect...hmm...

I'm not positive on how much it weighs...I'm guessing around 250lbs as you see it. I can lift the whole back end off the ground by hand if the tongue is supported, but I need to eat my wheaties beforehand .

Yes, I'll be adding sides. Something M416/Adventure Trailer style...1" thin wall tubing frame, a CJ tailgate and I haven't decided what I'll skin it with yet. the tub & floor will be removable if all goes to plan. Sheet metal is so freaking expensive, and I don't really want to have to pay big bucks to get it bent on a press...
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #410
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hadn't checked on your build in quite some time...I'm building a trailer myself. Yours looks good.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #411
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[quote=Unlimited04;12710182]bar pin mounts for the stock XJ shocks...I think i'll change to slighly longer XJ shocks later, since these are pretty much fully extended here.

How much angle are on those shocks?? How effective are they?? Can you mount the upper mount in front of that crossmember?? Might have to use some short shocks though. Hard to tell in the pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yea, i'm not crazy about how high it sits actually.
I think you will be when your dragging it around the trails!

I like your under frame storage idea, that should help offset the height and lower center of gravity.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #412
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtech View Post
How much angle are on those shocks?? How effective are they?? Can you mount the upper mount in front of that crossmember?? Might have to use some short shocks though. Hard to tell in the pic...
I doubt they'll be the most efficient shocks . The angle is pretty bad, but it's leaf spring, so the springs will move back with the shackles some anyway. I did try to mount them in front of the crossmember, they were too long...and I didn't want to mess with a shorter shocks. I may get a set of 2-4" lift XJ rear shocks if I can find a set for cheap enough.

The AT Chaser's have their shocks at a similar angle. If it bounces a lot or becomes a problem, I'll cut em off and move them...which won't be too hard since the tub, floor and all, will be removable with a few bolts.
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #413
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've always wanted an LJ...Yours is pretty sweet. Subscribed.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #414
702wrangler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure if this is a dumb question or not but when you did your transmission temp gauge. did you make the sensor clamp? and do you need that? It says that it comes with an install kit.
Thanks!
Unread 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #415
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702wrangler View Post
Im not sure if this is a dumb question or not but when you did your transmission temp gauge. did you make the sensor clamp? and do you need that? It says that it comes with an install kit.
Thanks!
i made it, it did not come with the B&M kit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post8249402
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #416
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04 how do you like your Duratracs? If you were to purchase new tires would you stay with them?
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #417
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer updates?
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #418
greg_kulosa

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I know you weren't asking me, but I LOVE my Duratracs. My Jeep is mostly a DD, I get offroad once a month at most. They are very quiet on the street. They seem to be wearing well.

Traction is good, in snow and mud. They are fine in the rocks so far. I'm a little worried about the thinner sidewalls, but most of the rock that we see is more rounded granite up in the Sierras (Rubicon, etc.). Haven't torn anything yet.

I run mine between 23-25 on the street, and usually down to 12 PSI offroad. In the deep snow last month I went lower (8 PSI).

For my uses, unless something new comes out, I would buy the Goodyear Duratracs again.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #419
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980 View Post
Unlimited04 how do you like your Duratracs? If you were to purchase new tires would you stay with them?
I like the Duratrac's, I'd buy them again. My only complaint is they don't come in 33x10.50R15 or 35x12.50R15. I wouldn't call them "very quiet", but they are definitely quiet compared to other hybrid AT/MT options. They work well for the DD/weekend warrior who sees a wide variety of seasons & terrain, like myself. No issues with sidewalls or keeping balance over time, unlike the previous BFG's. As to their rock-worthiness, I've rubbed off much of the markings on the side, if that tells you anything. For instance, you can barely read 33x12.50R15 on some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
Trailer updates?
Hey Sean Did you get a new wheeler yet? I've been very busy with work...so the trailer is not getting much attention. Things will slow down in a few weeks, and I hope to get it finished for wheeling season.

Luckily a few weekends ago I got the end caps on the frame rails welded on and the base of the tub frame started. No pictures...doesn't look much different than before. I'll get more pics next time.

I also got another interesting project in the works....a used AutoMotion Performance supercharger kit...they were based in Denver area back in 2005-ish, but have since went out of the business. They claimed 265 hp/330 lb-ft w/o IC, and 315hp/390 ft-lbs "Stage 2". It's a Procharger C2 head unit model, which is still in production and used on Nissan 350Z's. Guy I bought it from had it bolted to 4.0/42RLE/4.88s/35s and could light up both tires from a stop...I couldn't even do that on 31s. Bracket puts the blower over the alternator. Tuning will be handled via Unichip (already installed) and possibly 28 lb Ford injectors. May try w/ stock injectors and see what A/F looks like on the dyno. Pulley locations aren't disrupted, and you can remove the longer belt, reinstall stock belt, bypass blower and just suck air through the centri if need be. As you know Sean, I'm not looking to squeeze every drop of performance out of this, I just want to be able to hold 65mph going up I-70...with my trailer

The AutoMotion kit got some bad reviews based on what I read online, and I see why. Mounting bracket & pulley spacers were problematic...giving bad pulley/belt alignment. I bought some stuff from McMaster and had to visit the junkyard to get pulley spacers off ZJ/XJs to make it all work.

However, my favorite problem was this:

I wanted to see how many people would catch the problem.

Notice the standard Bosch diverter valve has no vacuum reference connection, and is mounted to the intake side of the supercharger.
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #420
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, got an 05' Rubicon (see sig). Actually just got done removing the BL and MML a few minutes ago. One hour flat.

I like the supercharger idea, I will be keeping an eye on how that goes. I knew a guy with a similar set-up and he loved it, said the 42rle was no longer an issue.
What kind of boost are you planning on running?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.