Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #391
55willystruck

Looks like a great start on the trailer, I'll have to keep an eye on this one. After searching for years for a good M416, I said screw it and built my own "bomb shelter" of a build. As luck would have it, found a pair of M416's here a few months ago. Needless to say I now have one to many...

So what are you planning for a hitch setup there?

Look forward to more of this. Kind of a trailer nut...

Best of Luck,

Mike

55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #392
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
So what are you planning for a hitch setup there?
The tongue & hitch will be pretty cool, if my plans work out like I want.

The tongue will be telescoping...so I can suck it in close on the highway, and off-road I can extend the tongue and jack-knife 90 without hitting the Jeep tub. The hitch will be a 2" ball at first, but I've got my own special design for a 3-axis hitch I'll be integrating later.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #393
55willystruck

Plans sound great, looking forward to it. I built my big one to break against the Jeep as well and it worked so well I extended the tongue on both M416's to match. Neither are extendable though which could be handy to have at times. Interested to see your 3 axis hitch design. I have a lock-n-roll and the guy I'm building a custom M416 for has the Max from AT. Not super impressed with either. A buddy designed something new I hope to test this week if its out of pc in time. I'm hoping we have a winner with the new design.

Who knew trailers were so much fun???

Best of luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #394
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Have you seen http://go.jeep-xj.info/Trailers.htm - GoJeep has some incredible ideas for the XJs, but some of the trailer work he's done seems in line with your plans.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #395
KillerSloth
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any progress on the trailer? It's in my plans to build one eventually, so I love looking at the trailer builds.

I like the idea of the 3-axis hitch, they seem to fit the needs of offroading the best. Look forward to seeing how you make yours work. I kind of have some thoughts in my head already, but seeing some more would be great.
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #396
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSloth View Post
Any progress on the trailer?
yup its coming along. latest pics are on a friend's camera, i'll get them up next weekend maybe. Frame, spring perches & shock mounts are all welded completely. Next up is making the tongue and a tongue jack, and starting the tub work....
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #397
Rubi Unlimited

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you move or are you building it at another location.
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #398
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi Unlimited View Post
Did you move or are you building it at another location.
i don't have room at my place

hence, alternate location.
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #399
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Haven't been working on the trailer, too busy with work, and we've had a lot of snow....so its muddy, snowy, cold and miserable outside.

Met lynusann (never been wheeling) from the forum and we did some introductory wheeling.

Started at Rampart Range and we climbed the one obstacle

Then another weekend we hit Argentine Pass, which was partially snowed in already.

It's about time to pull out the gear and wax the snowboard.
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #400
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Is your currrent trans cooler insufficient? I'm going to install a cooler on my LJ. Would a B&M 70268 mounted in grill be adequate?
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #401
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
Is your currrent trans cooler insufficient? I'm going to install a cooler on my LJ. Would a B&M 70268 mounted in grill be adequate?
it is insufficient when wheeling or climbing I-70 on a 90F+ day. and by insufficient, I mean the return line to the tranny gets up to ~180-200F when badly heat soaked climbing mountain roads jogging between 2nd and 3rd, with lots of unlocking. normal driving, it's 160F solid even if its 100F out. but thats when my engine want to overheats too, so I'm thinking the tranny is actually transfering heat into the coolant.

This is within factory specifications, and isn't considered "overheating" until ~230F. It's just not good enough for me. I suspect the trailer will make things worse when towing in the mountains. Keep in mind I'm hammering the tranny & engine climbing up I-70 or other mountain roads...sustained 3000-4200 RPM, tranny unlocked in 2nd or 3rd, for 10+ miles at a time. So I'd still recommend the front mount cooler FIRST, with a temp gauge. Monitor the temps, and if that ain't enough, then do the second aux cooler.

BUT...on the flip side, it's been freakin cold here lately...20F, or less. Now, the tranny isn't getting warm....it's staying in "Warm" or "Cold" modes, barely moving the temp gauge to 100F, unless I drive for over ~45 minutes on the highway. But too cold is better than too hot, so I'm not complaining...especially considering thats return line temp, not tranny output line temp. I'll install the 2nd cooler in the spring when my trailer is finished, but for now the front mount passive cooler is plenty.
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #402
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A remote oil thermostat will fix that 'too cold' problem. Summit sells them. You don't need the expensive racing version, the cheaper ones work fine.

It's functions exactly like the coolant Tstat. It's a good device for getting your trans up to temp quickly and maintaining that temp.
I've found that mine works better when my pan temp is 120* - 180*.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #403
Nerds
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome write-up on the trac bar bolt, helped me out a bunch
Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #404
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lot's of valuable info! Thank you sir for taking the time to share your progress. Like where your going with the trailer build!
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #405
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
A remote oil thermostat will fix that 'too cold' problem. Summit sells them.
thanks, i'll look into that.

meanwhile, here's some progress on the trailer. we've had a lot of snow & cold, so I haven't done much work on it...these are from a few weeks ago. Floor is 1/8" diamond plate. 2" receiver on the back.

ZJ front bumpstops installed:

bar pin mounts for the stock XJ shocks...I think i'll change to slighly longer XJ shocks later, since these are pretty much fully extended here.

Extended tongue position

Close tongue position

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.