Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #376
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Wait, I'm confused.... is that a newer jeep thing? Overflow coolant will actually overflow from the overflow bottle and spray everywhere?
its a TJ thing. that little right angle neck vent the 3/4" hose is connected to is allows the overflow to spit everywhere...usually coats the throttle body, intake manifold & intake tube. the day I did this it even got into the fan, serp belt, and all over the pulleys. I thought my t-stat housing was leaking...but after running it a while and tracing the mess, it came out of the coolant bottle

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #377
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
its a TJ thing. that little right angle neck vent the 3/4" hose is connected to is allows the overflow to spit everywhere...usually coats the throttle body, intake manifold & intake tube. the day I did this it even got into the fan, serp belt, and all over the pulleys. I thought my t-stat housing was leaking...but after running it a while and tracing the mess, it came out of the coolant bottle
Happened to me when I was wheeling last fall. I thought I blew something up

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #378
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

As soon as I posted that I went out and looked and found that outlet. Guess I'm lucky it's never happened to me, but I do know what coolant all over the engine bay is like. The crimps on the original radiator crapped out on me, that was a mess.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #379
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
its a TJ thing. that little right angle neck vent the 3/4" hose is connected to is allows the overflow to spit everywhere...usually coats the throttle body, intake manifold & intake tube.
It's an XJ thing, too.

That's my current '96 XJ, but thanks for the great idea for the bottle/drain. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had the burps with mine, but it will be a mess when it does. Already subscribed to this thread for ideas when I pick up a 6-speed LJ later this year though - great stuff!
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #380
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I remember see that picture I keep stealing mods from you

Did you hook your aux tranny cooler to the hot output side line or the cool return line? What's the flow path of your dual coolers? similar to the picture above, or different?

Thanks

My transmission output line goes to the manifold style cooler in front of the radiator to take the bite out of the heat.

Then the fluid goes to the lower tank in the radiator to keep the fluid temperature balance.

Then the fluid goes to the B&M fan drive cooler over the rear axle.

And finally to the 1 quart filter before returning to the transmission...

My rheostat is set at 125 degrees and it rarely kicks in.

...HTH
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #381
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post

...HTH
yup, that helps. I was thinking the filter might be best at one of the hotter sides, since viscosity would be lower and resistance would be lowest ? plus particles wouldn't be pushed into the coolers? maybe?

I'll be using the flow diagram shown above, temp sensor switch will be 180 deg, and temp gauge will be in the hot output right out of the tranny. I'd like to wire up an On/Off/On switch in the dash to control the fan like so: thermostat controlled/always off/ turned on.

But...I suck at wiring things like this without trial and error.

Any ideas?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/c...agram-1266260/

Would wiring look like this?

Thanks
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #382
Eskimo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry Kuncklehead to change gears but the hose thing on your transfer case I like; what are the details on parts or where did you get it http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ansfercase.jpg
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #383
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Sorry Kuncklehead to change gears but the hose thing on your transfer case I like; what are the details on parts or where did you get it http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ansfercase.jpg
I copied his tube mod over a year ago. All the info is in this build thread - post #256.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #384
Eskimo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool I like, thanks
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #385
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

tacked together (still needs welding, but its square and rolls)

3500lb axle, SOA, 58" WMS, 10" drum brakes, 5x4.5, bald 33x10.50R15 BFG ATs

Unread 10-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #386
tdittyrocks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good start. I just picked up an M416 in great condition and am starting to build it into an adventure trailer. Good luck with the build!
tdittyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #387
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdittyrocks View Post
Looks like a good start. I just picked up an M416 in great condition and am starting to build it into an adventure trailer. Good luck with the build!
how much did you pay for the M416? I looked at a few, and nothing in good shape was less than $1200, and everything under $700 needed a complete rebuild. I said screw it...i'll build my own...
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #388
tdittyrocks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was in the same boat as you. A friend of mine in Wisconsin found it at a military swap meet. The guy was selling a jeep and this trailer as a package. Someone bought the Jeep but didn't want the trailer, so he priced it to sell. I got it for $750, of course I had to drive there to pick it up, but I was due for a visit anyway. Its in such great shape, I feel a little guilty for modifying it.
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #389
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdittyrocks View Post
Its in such great shape, I feel a little guilty for modifying it.
yea, thats what i was thinking. you got a smokin' deal on that M416 too. the 1990s Canadian M101 I saw that was $1200 and in awesome shape, I would feel bad hacking it up. I wanted electric trailer brakes and 5x4.5...so I would have had to pull the original axle & parking brake, cut a tailgate out, etc....this way I'll get exactly what I want. Dimension & frame are my own design based off the M416 and my friend's AT Chaser. It'll eventually get the CJ tailgate & new XJ Monroe shocks I found in the junkyard.
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #390
tdittyrocks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like we have similar build plans. Keep posting progress.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.