Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #331
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dude all that bs you hear about the duras sidewall being weak is ****ed up. I have put mine into sharp *** rocks and have yet to mess the sidewall up

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #332
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
And one last question, what PSI do you go down to?
I usually don't even air down... but on that trail I think I was at 20psi...

For those following the Explorer fan clutch thread, I did this whole trip with the stock 5-blade and the "Severe Duty" fan clutch...absolutely no overheating issues, it stayed under 211 the whole time. Mostly around 202, but had the belt squealing issue on the highway going up steep hills above 3000rpms. I swapped to the factory belt, still had the same issue...gonna try the Exploder fan next.

I hit up Argentine Pass/McClellen Mtn this weekend & had a blast. We couldn't get anywhere near the top, we just fooled around treeline and around the trails surrounding the mines. Theres still a bunch of snow up there, but we did make it to 12,000 ft or so.

Here's COLOUXJ trying to see if an XJ will float...water crossings were still deep

and my disco cams still work good, but now with the 33s, the tires rub the sway bar when stuffing + turning. gonna have to relocate them...tried once, but the location sucked...gonna have to try again.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #333
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man I wish I could make it further South more often. I need to get down there at least a couple times this year.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #334
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Man I wish I could make it further South more often. I need to get down there at least a couple times this year.
i'm trying to go wheeling every other weekend this season...with some camping and maybe a Ouray trip finally. Watch the Colorado forum and hit me up if you're interested in coming along....we don't usually do the hardcore Independence type stuff...we're usually wheeling above treeline, good views, high elevations and lots of stops for hiking around & photos.
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #335
greg_kulosa

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And one last question, what PSI do you go down to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I usually don't even air down... but on that trail I think I was at 20psi...
My LJ is set up very similar to Unlimited04's. My Duratrac's run 25 PSI on the street, and have been airing down to 11 or 12 for the rocks. I run 18 PSI or so for regular trail riding, washboard roads, etc. I am just getting into rocks, so I may try going down to 8 PSI next run to see how they do.

I do have 15x8 wheels which makes the tires bulge a lot, even at street pressure. I had to go down to 13 PSI when I did the chalk test to get the chalk rubbed off evenly across the whole tire tread. That's obviously too low for street use.

Just for reference.

And Unlimited04, thanks for the great thread. I used it as a guide when I was deciding what to do to my LJ.

A question for you - why did you decide not to install the Rubicon transfer case that you had? I want lower transfer case gearing, and need a SYE, so I am trying to decide between a Rubicon transfer case and a TeraLow.

Thanks.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #336
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_kulosa View Post
A question for you - why did you decide not to install the Rubicon transfer case that you had? I want lower transfer case gearing, and need a SYE, so I am trying to decide between a Rubicon transfer case and a TeraLow.
Well not using the 241OR was a hard decision I had to think about for a long time. I got a great price on it from Gerald, and I had collected several hundred bucks worth of parts for it....shifter, sensors & 1310 yoke, etc. When I started really looking at what I do with my Jeep most of the time, I realized 2.72:1 would better fit my needs than 4:1. Granted, I'd love to have 4:1 sometimes, I do most of my driving in 4-Lo around 5-10mph, and very little at 0.5mph. Plus, I realized I didn't want to put the effort necessary into make the 241 fit.

I ended up trading/selling the 241+parts for a 231 w/ SYE & CV shaft. The guy that got it spent several hours banging the tub around to make the 241 fit with his very custom TT...huge PITA. After I regeared for the 33s, 4-Lo is right where I want it now 97% of the time. It creeps slowly downhill in 1st, and with the Vanco brakes I've got no problems dropping off stuff nice and slow. 1st & 4:1 would be way better, but the number of times I would actually use that are far less than the number of times I need the higher range of 2.72:1. I have no interest in sinking money into the POS 42RLE and will not do a Rubicrawler.

My suggestion for you is don't decide on 4:1 either way until you regear for your final tire size. Properly geared, say 4.10s or 4.56s for 33s & 4.88s for 35s, you'll love 1st gear with your 6-speed. With 33s, 4.10, 4:1 + 6-speed, 1st is almost too slow...at least it felt that way in the Rubicon I drove...purely awesome gearing, but damn the higher end of the 4-lo range just wasn't there.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #337
greg_kulosa

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
My suggestion for you is don't decide on 4:1 either way until you regear for your final tire size. Properly geared, say 4.10s or 4.56s for 33s & 4.88s for 35s, you'll love 1st gear with your 6-speed. With 33s, 4.10, 4:1 + 6-speed, 1st is almost too slow...at least it felt that way in the Rubicon I drove...purely awesome gearing, but damn the higher end of the 4-lo range just wasn't there.
Well, that's the thing. I actually like my 3.73 gears with the 6-speed for street and highway driving. In fact, it's better with the 33's than with my old 30 inch tires. The low 1st gear is no longer too low for starting out from a stop.

I've been doing trips since I got the 33's, even towing a trailer 400 miles up to Oregon and back, through the mountains. And 4-wheeling trips up to the Sierra's, also towing a pop-up camping trailer. I had no problem with the gears being too high. This is loaded down, and with 2 boys and the dog, plus recovery gear in the back.

I've always heard that you should gear the axles for the street (and highway), and gear the transfer case for what you do off-road. So, I think I am going to stick with the 3.73 stock gearing, and just change the transfer case down to a 4:1 ratio.

The only remaining question is how best to do that. I believe my choices are a Tera-low, an Atlas, or a transfer case from a Rubicon.

I am leaning towards the Tera-low, both for cost and ease of the upgrade (she is my daily driver, so it needs to be an easy swap that I can do in a weekend). I am looking now for a used np-231 that I could upgrade with the Tera-low and SYE in advance, and then do the swap in an afternoon.

Thanks for the input on the Rubicon case.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #338
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck this month, I threw my vote in for ya
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #339
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Greg I've heard that the terra-low conversions aren't the cats meow. They dont really hold up too well. Do a search on it. HotRodHooligan has a thread on here that shows two tera-low conversions failing in the same place....BUT I've never ran one or rode in one so take my advise as is. Good luck man.

I want an Lj so bad!!!
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #340
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Out with the Kilby:

In with the Savvy:

And I absolutely hate the plastic Jeep fuel line connectors and emissions connectors. Absolutely hate them. I got frustrated .

The Savvy tank was nice and easy to install, and I love how they include all new hardware and a bunch of Christmas trees. very helpful, makes life sooo much easier.
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #341
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

NICE! I like. I think I want a savvy gas skid, after i beat my stock one to piss

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #342
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks

The Savvy is clearly the best option for a gas tank skid right now, no question at all. I'm really impressed with clearance increase of the Savvy over the Kilby. As you can see, the Kilby had collected a few lbs of dirt and diff oil. I spent a lot of time cleaning the tank, frame & spout and I'll have to spend even more time cleaning the Kilby before I can sell it locally. I can't wait to get this Savvy skid on the trails and bash the hell out it.
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #343
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be happy with it. I had the 97-02 stock skid and it was beat to hell and coming apart. No issues so far with the savvy skid and I've come down pretty damn hard off some dropoffs a few times so far on it.
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #344
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you heard of JeepsUnlimited is here in Colorado? Erie to be exact. I think I might head out there today or tomorrow. Looks like they have a Jeep salvage yard.

http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=erie&...ed=0CCgQ8gEwAQ

Also, are you hitting any trails next weekend?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #345
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you heard of JeepsUnlimited is here in Colorado? Erie to be exact. I think I might head out there today or tomorrow. Looks like they have a Jeep salvage yard.

http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=erie&...ed=0CCgQ8gEwAQ

Also, are you hitting any trails next weekend?
yup, been to JeepsUnlimited a few times. They're great if you want to pay dealer new prices for a rusted old part, and get insulted at the same time. The owners are complete jerks, and customer service is laughable. I refuse to buy stuff there if at all possible - I'd rather pay full retail price at the dealership - but sometimes they just have that one specific part you need and can't find anywhere else.

I ran McClellen/Argentine today - finally open to the top, only one drift remaining to squeeze past.

A couple of us will probably run Red Cone to Montezuma next weekend, if you're interested. So far I think we've got 3 Heeps. I want to run Radical Hill to Saints John but I heard Radicall Hill probably won't be open this year due to snowpack.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.