Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #316
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm, that's weird about your cooling, My 06 LJ is completely stock under hood, has 18k miles on it and never had overheating problem here in Tucson, Last Saturday driving home stopped at neighbors to shoot the guff for a few minutes and left Jeep running for 30 minutes with AC on and was just a fuzz over 210 and it was 103 degrees out.

popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #317
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I'm wondering if its related to the mini-cats. Maybe they heat the intake manifold & engine compartment up enough to lead to issues. I did notice climbing I-70 yesterday it was getting pretty warm as my 42RLE keeps me in 3rd gear @ 3500rpms for dozens of miles. I was seeing 220-229°, might go with a new t-stat and see what that does...but I won't know till I hit the mountains again in 90° temps. My temps did go down a bit after removing the winch cover...so maybe the winch is blocking the radiator too much

McClellen Mtn/Argentine Pass - turned around shortly after this when we came across a 6" lifted TJ on 35s that said a big drift was ahead, we didn't get above treeline.

The other picture was Yankee Hill, which is clear from the Alice side, and clear from the Central City side, but the two sides of the trail aren't connected yet. There is a big drift in the usual spot....some ATV's were busting through, but its too deep for any trucks on less than 40s & willing to winch for a while.
This is my second TJ06 with 4spd auto ... and aux tranny cooler.
The first one never had a heat issue , even during our local summer. (3.73 and 31" tires)
I modded the second one in march to have 4.88 and 33" high traction tires ...
and after noticing some strange shifting behavior I decided to put a B&M gauge into the hot tranny line. It turned out, that my tranny oil is reaching beyond 220* when playing in the dunes (2-1)... and my water temp is then more than a hair above 210*
(City stop and go at noon the tranny temp stays slightly above 160* and the water temp at the normal 210+ position ... with AC at full blast)

Is it the higher traction of the Xterrains causing more grip/drag and the tranny to work harder in the soft sand (not enough aux cooling) ===> water temp goes up a bit?
Is it minicats? (why? they "only" raise underhood temps if clogged ... do they cause hotter combustion? and city stop and go would be fine???)

For sure I will do something about the tranny temps ... maybe a Derale 13960 kit? and maybe bypassing the rad?
(some guys here fix additional washer bottles into the engine compartment and a nozzle in front of tranny cooler and rad for "cooling on demand" after high load situations ... good idea?)

And I have ordered the Gen Right 5 piece hood louvers and some thermotec headshielding for the fuel rail, injectors and intake manifold ...
because my Jeep is agile in the morning and evening hours and around noon its a dog ... actually I don't want to touch my factory belt driven fan (yet?). The hood is hard to lift without gloves after some minutes drive.
I might degutt my mini cats as well. ... but later if nothing helps. The Jeep would be a dog when cold as well if they were the reason?

logically I have to address the tranny cooler first ...
but the other stuff is already here ... so heatshilding and louvers first ...
then tranny cooler upgrade (anyway to do on my list)
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #318
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't given up fixing the cooling issues...but I took my hard top off and put the soft top on for the summer. Luckily its usually 20-30° cooler in the mountains where I wheel

Thats how never get around to fixing it...I just take the top off and forget about A/C
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #319
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't given up fixing the cooling issues...but I took my hard top off and put the soft top on for the summer. Luckily its usually 20-30° cooler in the mountains where I wheel

Thats how never get around to fixing it...I just take the top off and forget about A/C
lucky you
but believe me ... once you try dune surfing with your Jeep you become addicted as well.
And then you WANT to fix even the slightest "cough" of your little toy
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #320
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Did some wheeling today and destroyed my exhaust. This was on Ironclads/Plane Crash, I tried to take a harder line and really screwed myself.

Ended up stuck between here:

and here:

this was the result:

It's also pretzeled bad on the bend over the axle...almost kinked totally flat. Which the engine doesn't seem too happy about . It's smashing into the tub & shock and both exhaust hangers are bent up bad. We had to use a winch to pull it out and up to the frame enough so I could finish the trail. The tailpipe is held on by speaker wire at the moment.

But when I got back, I found a Dynomax 2.5" exhaust for an LJ on craigslist for $35 . It's missing clamps, a hanger and the intermediate pipe, but its a start to a fix

You'll also notice the new Bestop Tire Carrier...which is freakin' sweet btw. I shoulda went that way the first time around. Their hardware blows, I had to replace most of it, and the rest I had to chase with a die, but once its setup and adjusted the tailgate slides effortlessly and the tire is very sturdy.
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #321
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I will add a hacksaw to my trail tool kit, or at least a blade.

CL saves the day again!
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #322
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh well you needed new exhaust anyway....

Hey - I'm seriously considering the regear to 4.88's. I also have the 42RLE and 33's, possibly 35's in the future. I have 3.73's now. How are the 4.88's working for you? Who did your gears?
Jim
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #323
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Oh well you needed new exhaust anyway....

Hey - I'm seriously considering the regear to 4.88's. I also have the 42RLE and 33's, possibly 35's in the future. I have 3.73's now. How are the 4.88's working for you? Who did your gears?
Jim
The 4.88s/33s is 10x better than 3.73s/31s. I still can't hold speed up I-70, but its much better. 35s will be worse tho.

My gears were done by Stang5lgt, he's in Parker. I've still got a vibration and haven't figured it out. I'm just driving on it anyway.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pu...egear-1095069/
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #324
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the tire carrier. Nice job on the tailpipe too. Thanx for your tips and suggestions on the Bestop carrier on another thread. I've saved and printed your post and it's now in the box with the Bestop instructions. lol. I have a tap and die kit. Hopefully, I have all the right sizes.

As far as the Dynomax exhaust, I put the 2.5 turbo catback on my Jeep and I can barely tell any loudness difference from stock (which is what I was looking for). It has a deeper tone, but that's about it. Uhh, that was until I had to hack it off at the muffler due to clearance issues with my goofy rear end set up. I'm still working out a solution.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #325
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
Nice job on the tire carrier. Nice job on the tailpipe too. Thanx for your tips and suggestions on the Bestop carrier on another thread. I've saved and printed your post and it's now in the box with the Bestop instructions. lol. I have a tap and die kit. Hopefully, I have all the right sizes.

As far as the Dynomax exhaust, I put the 2.5 turbo catback on my Jeep and I can barely tell any loudness difference from stock (which is what I was looking for). It has a deeper tone, but that's about it. Uhh, that was until I had to hack it off at the muffler due to clearance issues with my goofy rear end set up. I'm still working out a solution.
i've got fine & course thread up to 1/2", but I had to buy a 3/4-10 UNC (which was $20). if it wasn't for the crappy hardware, the bestop tire carrier would be badass.

i'm really tempted to cut the exhaust off behind the muffler, but you can melt your gas tank! See what happened to this guy:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/me...-tank-1219125/
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #326
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i've got fine & cross thread up to 1/2", but I had to buy a 3/4-10 UNC (which was $20). if it wasn't for the crappy hardware, the bestop tire carrier would be badass.

i'm really tempted to cut the exhaust off behind the muffler, but you can melt your gas tank! See what happened to this guy:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/me...-tank-1219125/
Holy cow! I never saw that thread. I just shoved a temporary turn down in the muffler for now. It points down and away towards the passenger side. I have put a few highway miles on it, and stopped to check along the way. No melting or heat on ARB lines, breather tube, or brake lines. I have a little axle position and pinion angle adjusting to do before I have a new tailpipe bent. There is a good reason the factory exits the exhaust out the rear!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #327
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When you went with the Duratracs where you worried about them with rocks and possibly tearing a sidewall? I've been going back and forth between Duratracs and MTR Kevlar. I want the Duratracs for street/snow driving, but I'm also worried about the rocks. Yesterday my old Pro Comps took a couple of good kisses from rocks up at T33A, they held up like champs.

Also, which u-pull it place did you go to. I need to pick up an HPD30 and 8.8 one of these days.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #328
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
When you went with the Duratracs where you worried about them with rocks and possibly tearing a sidewall? I've been going back and forth between Duratracs and MTR Kevlar. I want the Duratracs for street/snow driving, but I'm also worried about the rocks. Yesterday my old Pro Comps took a couple of good kisses from rocks up at T33A, they held up like champs.

Also, which u-pull it place did you go to. I need to pick up an HPD30 and 8.8 one of these days.
I scrapped the crap out of my Duratracs on T33A/Ironclads this weekend and all the tires have to show for it are some dusty swirls. They're holding up just as well, if not better, than my BFG ATs...and those sidewalls held up great for me.

I like the U-pull-it off US36 & Broadway in Denver, they seem to have the most late model XJ's, vs the Aurora U-pull-it. Both always have lots of early models. I got mine in the CFC days and there was a MUCH better selection then.... There's also Metal Movers right next to each U-pull-it, but they've been twice as expensive in my experience.
Unread 06-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #329
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did some wheeling today and destroyed my exhaust. This was on Ironclads/Plane Crash, I tried to take a harder line and really screwed myself.

Ended up stuck between here:

and here:

this was the result:

It's also pretzeled bad on the bend over the axle...almost kinked totally flat. Which the engine doesn't seem too happy about . It's smashing into the tub & shock and both exhaust hangers are bent up bad. We had to use a winch to pull it out and up to the frame enough so I could finish the trail. The tailpipe is held on by speaker wire at the moment.

But when I got back, I found a Dynomax 2.5" exhaust for an LJ on craigslist for $35 . It's missing clamps, a hanger and the intermediate pipe, but its a start to a fix

You'll also notice the new Bestop Tire Carrier...which is freakin' sweet btw. I shoulda went that way the first time around. Their hardware blows, I had to replace most of it, and the rest I had to chase with a die, but once its setup and adjusted the tailgate slides effortlessly and the tire is very sturdy.
I had the exact experience with my LJ and its exhuast. Ended up bending just like your and having to straighten it back. When I got back home I jacked it up at different intervals to bend it back. Then I cut the rear hanger off and reweld it so that it was higher up that the gas tank skid. I also choped part of it off the end so it doesn't stick out past the gas tank. I put a 45 degree cut so if it does get hit it should slide right off. Hopefully
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #330
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

I scrapped the crap out of my Duratracs on T33A/Ironclads this weekend and all the tires have to show for it are some dusty swirls. They're holding up just as well, if not better, than my BFG ATs...and those sidewalls held up great for me.

I like the U-pull-it off US36 & Broadway in Denver, they seem to have the most late model XJ's, vs the Aurora U-pull-it. Both always have lots of early models. I got mine in the CFC days and there was a MUCH better selection then.... There's also Metal Movers right next to each U-pull-it, but they've been twice as expensive in my experience.
Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better about possibly taking a chance with the Duratracs. Plus the Kevlars seem to have gone up in price and it would now be 920$ before the rebates. :

And one last question, what PSI do you go down to?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.