Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 02-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #301
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance of a photo of the Soli diff cover? I am getting ready to grind mine since fitment was such a miserable failure without modification.

I have an idea what material to remove, but seeing a completed one may help.

hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #302
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
Any chance of a photo of the Soli diff cover? I am getting ready to grind mine since fitment was such a miserable failure without modification.

I have an idea what material to remove, but seeing a completed one may help.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #303
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you sir, that's exactly what I was looking for.

hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #304
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

So, when I installed my new winch, I knew the front would drop. If you remember from back on page 1, I've already got 0.75" spacers in front to level things out. Well...I wanted to ditch those, and maintain the ride height I saw with no engine skid, the stock bumper & no winch. So I started running some numbers regarding the weight of all this steel.

Ok, calculations are good and well right, but how well did this work?

All measurements taken from the same location, off the bottom coil:

No winch, no engine skid, stock bumper (basically "no weight"):

Winch, engine skid and stock bumper:

Now, winch, engine skid, stock bumper and 934 springs, with no spacers:

The first pic - about 15" to the black hash line on the spring tower. The 2nd pic, about 14.5". The 3rd pic, back to 15", and the coil height is actually closer to 14"...pretty darn close to my 13.7" assumption. It will probably be right at ~13.75" should I put the "knoblockbumpers" front bumper back on. I'm going to try to go without my front reciever...we'll see how long that lasts .

I looked at BDS springs and OME springs, but OME 934's had the correct length and spring rate, which is why I chose them .

So there's a detailed write-up on how to level out your Jeep using only springs....you just need to know the spring rate & unloaded spring length you have now, and the amount of weight to be added.
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #305
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

subbin
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #306
06flex
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Welp, mine clears the tie-rod & modified diff cover and the "custom" track bar with 1-3/8" bumpstop
Could you tell me a little more about this "custom" track bar. I just recently swaped out my 5.5" re springs (they were suppose to be 3.5" like my rear ones but thats a whole different story) for some OME springs and my re 1600 track bar is real close to hitting. I am now looking to make a switch to a different TB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You didn't correct the problem, you only worked around the real problem.
06flex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #307
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06flex View Post
Could you tell me a little more about this "custom" track bar. I just recently swaped out my 5.5" re springs (they were suppose to be 3.5" like my rear ones but thats a whole different story) for some OME springs and my re 1600 track bar is real close to hitting. I am now looking to make a switch to a different TB.
well its a long story...PM me if you want more details....but mudb8's has had his hands on it. its a prototype from a major track bar manufacturer....went through two iterations, and this is the 2nd design. Clears most diff cover, but hits the tie-rod without 2" of bumpstop extension. only reason mine clears with 1-3/8" is because of the ZJ tie-rod that bends down low, and the major mods done to the SOLI diff cover.

what I suggest now for 2.5" lifts is the stock track bar. reinforce the axle side mount, drill a new hole and grind the top side of the mount a bit, or bend the track bar in a press, so that it clears at full bump & full droop. But if you've drilled out your mount, you can't go back (well at least not without a TIG welder).

If you've drilled out the stock mount, then take a look at the high clearance double shear mounts mudb8 is making. (in his track bar thread). requires lots of fabrication skills, but I think its worth it...i'd like to eventually go that route.
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #308
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

post for future reference
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #309
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Installed my Hesco high flow thermostat housing

Stock:

Hesco:

Both:

Orifice is much (!!) bigger. That should help keep my temps where they should be. Since 30k miles or less, if I ran the A/C in temps over 95, in stop and go congested city traffic, the temps would slowly climb to overheating over several miles. If I turned off the A/C & rolled down the windows, the temps quickly returned to normal, so I could never run the A/C in really hot temps while in congested traffic. Dealership could never figure it out. Guess I'll see if this was the root of the problem this summer when it hits 100+.
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #310
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know all the year differnces, but the 03 has the larger housing as the "Hesco" you posted above and uses a deeper T-stat. a 205* stat is also available for the 03 and not the later years, they will fit but have to clocked just right to allow the factory housing to bolt on flush and not crush the stat or leak. I used the 205* on CB3's plus drilled and taped another temp sensor hole for his variable speed electric fans, which I did not approve of BTW although we have not been able to get it to overheat even with the Kilbly compressor, a/c and everything else you can think of running..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #311
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I don't know all the year differnces, but the 03 has the larger housing as the "Hesco" you posted above and uses a deeper T-stat. a 205* stat is also available for the 03 and not the later years, they will fit but have to clocked just right to allow the factory housing to bolt on flush and not crush the stat or leak. I used the 205* on CB3's plus drilled and taped another temp sensor hole for his variable speed electric fans, which I did not approve of BTW although we have not been able to get it to overheat even with the Kilbly compressor, a/c and everything else you can think of running..
it's weird for sure. i remember a thread a while back where people (including blaine) where sharing experiences of the thermostat housing. Apparently you can get housings with the large opening from RockAuto or even a junkyard. Some guys apparently port the stocker out with a Dremel. I shaved off some the leftover sharp edges from this Hesco version. I didn't want to fuss with porting, machining or trying to locate a low cost better version, so I just went with the Hesco...for me, it ain't worth the troubleshooting to save 20 bucks.

damn it, I remember reading about the thermostat's keyway in the FSM. I saw it on the thermostat, but I totally forgot to consciously line it up. I twisted the thermostat till it sat flush, so hopefully I did it right...no leaks for the 20 minutes I ran the engine. Guess I'll keep an eye on it. I'm gonna be mad if I need to buy a new gasket and pull it off...might as well get a new thermostat the second time around .
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #312
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hit up two trails today...didn't make it all the way over either due to snow pack

The water crossing was much deeper than last summer due to run off
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #313
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Installed my Hesco high flow thermostat housing

Orifice is much (!!) bigger. That should help keep my temps where they should be. Since 30k miles or less, if I ran the A/C in temps over 95, in stop and go congested city traffic, the temps would slowly climb to overheating over several miles. If I turned off the A/C & rolled down the windows, the temps quickly returned to normal, so I could never run the A/C in really hot temps while in congested traffic. Dealership could never figure it out. Guess I'll see if this was the root of the problem this summer when it hits 100+.
Same thing happens with my Jeep in the summer, I can rarely ever run the AC because the Jeep will get too hot, so when I run the AC it's for no longer than 10 minutes. I guess it's tstat thing.
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #314
Rubi Unlimited

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The water crossing was much deeper than last summer due to run off
Where was this?
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #315
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Same thing happens with my Jeep in the summer, I can rarely ever run the AC because the Jeep will get too hot, so when I run the AC it's for no longer than 10 minutes. I guess it's tstat thing.
I'm wondering if its related to the mini-cats. Maybe they heat the intake manifold & engine compartment up enough to lead to issues. I did notice climbing I-70 yesterday it was getting pretty warm as my 42RLE keeps me in 3rd gear @ 3500rpms for dozens of miles. I was seeing 220-229, might go with a new t-stat and see what that does...but I won't know till I hit the mountains again in 90 temps. My temps did go down a bit after removing the winch cover...so maybe the winch is blocking the radiator too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi Unlimited View Post
Where was this?
McClellen Mtn/Argentine Pass - turned around shortly after this when we came across a 6" lifted TJ on 35s that said a big drift was ahead, we didn't get above treeline.

The other picture was Yankee Hill, which is clear from the Alice side, and clear from the Central City side, but the two sides of the trail aren't connected yet. There is a big drift in the usual spot....some ATV's were busting through, but its too deep for any trucks on less than 40s & willing to winch for a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.