Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #271
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrows View Post
How do you like the 33's and the 4.88 gears?
i've only got 8 miles on them - very easy miles. need to finish the 500 mile break-in before i hammer the gears.

but so far, less throttle input and i can keep up with traffic

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #272
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

RE: 7/16" - Are you sure you got the correct truetrac?
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #273
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
RE: 7/16" - Are you sure you got the correct truetrac?
yes, i've verified the part numbers laser marked into the housings. and they fit fine

got the front used locally - was in a 95 XJ HP D30 for 8k miles, rear i got used (but new, never installed) on this forum. both less than 2 yrs old...

I talked to mudb8 and East Coast Gear - seems like a common thing for the D44, but uncommon for the D30. I bought little sleeve/spacer things to be used with the 3/8" bolts. Worked like a charm.
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #274
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had to break in the gears and test the truetrac's with some wheeling ran Red Elephant Hill outside Empire, CO.

Trailhead poser:

Checking for rubbing in front...could probably use 1/2" more bumpstop maybe, but no rubbing was seen.

we added a JK to our group since we were so slow...and COLOUXJ got hung up pretty bad in this technical spot:

Stop for a scenic view (COLOUXJ's the black XJ)

Poser at an abandoned mine site

The gears are AWESOME climbing the highway mountains, I-70 and such. I can actually use OVERDRIVE!!! I still need to kick down into 3rd, but much less. I can actually maintain 65mph in OD on some hills when it used to take 3rd or even 2nd gear. It still shifts and locks up WAY too soon...but thats programming issues of the 42RLE. I can actually set the cruise on the highway and it will maintain speed much better!! And the TrueTrac's performed very nicely...never spun once and walked through everything, even the more technical, slippery, loose rock and dirt stuff.

Unread 08-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #275
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How do ya like the duratracs offroad?

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #276
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
How do ya like the duratracs offroad?
so far they're awesome. way better than BFG ATs.

they're softer so they stick and mold to rocks much better. tread pattern and sidewall lugs are more aggressive, so they claw through the loose dirt and rocks very nicely.

i've tried 30 to 27 psi...still can't get perfectly flat tread wear pattern. I think i'm just going to have to live with the slightly uneven treadwear at 27-28 psi.

the downside to this soft Duratrac compound is they don't last that long...at least not compared to BFGs.
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #277
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got about 15k on mine and they are wearing very well, I expect about 45k. Not as much as the BFGs but still good/

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #278
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm liking the new tire/wheel combo, looks way better than the black steelies IMO. Are those a load range E tire?

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #279
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
I'm liking the new tire/wheel combo, looks way better than the black steelies IMO. Are those a load range E tire?
yea i'm not a big fan of black steelies...they're cheap and easy to find tho. the new tires are 33x12.50R15's so they're C load rated. The other tires on the 2nd set of steelies were 245/75R16 - E load rated. The 16s are street only now - getting 235/85R16 studded tires (E-load rated).

i'm want to run two sets of tires so I can get to the Coloraod ski resorts in a blizzard, and still have good summer wheeling tires....but nobody makes a true 33" studded snow tire.

235/85R16 and 265/75R16 are the tallest studded tires I can find - both shy of 32". looking at Mastercraft Courser MSR's for winter...neighbor has em on an old F250 and likes em alot. theres plenty of mud tires that are studdable...but i want a true winter tire for the compound and deep siping.
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #280
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wheeling trip: Halfmoon Creek and Mosquito Pass

TrueTrac's did awesome through some tough stuff, even when I had one front tire off the ground - they still grabbed and pulled me through. TrueTrac + Duratrac's did excellent on big rocks, loose dirt, loose rocks, streams, etc...I didn't spin once. Very happy with this choice vs selectable or automatic lockers. No fuss, just point and go, with far better traction

I did learn my front brake lines will rub the shocks pretty bad. I had to modify my Crown extended length to fit on Vanco/Explorer calipers, so they kinda stick upward toward the shocks. When installing the front axle, I either had to point the lines up, where they would rub on the shock at full stuff & full steering lock, or point them down, where they could catch on something and would rub the shock mount/bar pin area...so I picked the lessor of two evils...but looks like I need to do some more grinding on the brake line to get them to clear the shocks.

Still fighting rear driveline vibes.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pu...egear-1095069/

EDIT: More pics-(uploading sucks)

This was the biggest mushroom I've ever seen. Definitely over 12" in diameter. Anyone know wtf it is?

Mule Deer:

At the top of Halfmoon Creek:

Mosquito Pass-

It was so damn windy at the top of Mosquito I hyperextended the drivers door. Broke the plastic housing on the mirror as it smashed into the windshield, put a big dent and long, deep scratch into the door paint as the door hit the fender flare, and completely ripped the kevlar door strap in half. I'm glad i didn't rip the footman loop out of the door...it did bent the sheet metal tho. Where can I get a replacement door strap?
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #281
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^ Jeep looks good!

I think once you get a chance to drive it in the snow, you will love having two Truetracs even more. The front runs just a hair more factory preload than the rear, so in 4-Hi you just gas it a little to pull it straight in a slide (kinda like you do in a FWD car). They make for a very stable and confident ride. I am staying tuned for more tire updates too, the Duratrac might be just what I need.

After seeing that rig, I can say for sure my next Jeep is going to be an LJ.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #282
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Where can I get a replacement door strap?
I got one on eBay. Actually, I think it was a pair...

I only needed one for the passenger side, as the wind caught it once and snapped the strap on that side.

I'll look for that leftover strap tonight. If I can find it, you can have it.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #283
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got these from quadratec after breaking two pairs of door straps:

Armadillo Industries 41190-S - Billet Mechanical Door Stops in Anodized Silver for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

I like them MUCH better
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #284
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #285
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Added a mudb8 style rear track bar reinforcement bracket. here's how it started:

With lots of grinding and shaping...a few cuss words...

Replaced the stupid factory torx bolt I could never get my torque wrench on due to gas tank clearance. and gawd damn, trying to get the welding stinger in there without a car lift SUCKED. crawling & contortionisms under there with the shocks still connected and the jackstands maxed out at the frame wasn't a lot of fun.

Scored big at the junkyard too:

^^1st gen Grand Prix GTP hood louvers...anyone remember the Oman4x4 write up?

^^windstar airbox cut down, JB welded together, caulked for sealing, and elbow and reducer from Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.