Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #256
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man....and no, I love my Rockcrusher. It allows me to "cheat."

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #257
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
What is the purpose of this mod?
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #258
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves0 View Post
What is the purpose of this mod?
you never have to remove the fill or drain plug again, and since the steel plugs tend to gall the aluminum case pretty easily, this is a good thing.

I bought maybe 3 ft of this oil resistant clear tubing. One small piece is on the t-case as shown above, the other piece I attached to a small funnel. No more mess when filling/draining the t-case! Just unhook the upper part of the hose, snake it down the drain hole in my skid to a waste bottle. When filling, just attach the funnel hose, fill until the level is correct, reattach the hose and i'm done.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #259
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you never have to remove the fill or drain plug again, and since the steel plugs tend to gall the aluminum case pretty easily, this is a good thing.

I bought maybe 3 ft of this oil resistant clear tubing. One small piece is on the t-case as shown above, the other piece I attached to a small funnel. No more mess when filling/draining the t-case! Just unhook the upper part of the hose, snake it down the drain hole in my skid to a waste bottle. When filling, just attach the funnel hose, fill until the level is correct, reattach the hose and i'm done.
Aaah I see... thanks!
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #260
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

Insteada searchin though your build...

What sliders are those? AtoZ's?
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #261
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBear View Post
Insteada searchin though your build...

What sliders are those? AtoZ's?
you could just check the profile <---

They're Rokmen sliders - post 127

Broke in the new SYE/CV & Rokmen upper control arms with some wheeling! Yes, the tire carrier & bumper are missing. Sold em. New bumper on the way...going a different route with tire carrier.

Red Cone:

Radical Hill:

Saints John

Jeep performed very well. Nice and stable, even off camber in some really puckering places Kinda wish i'd worn the 33s tho...i was hitting stuff

Gotta move the sway bar disco cams...rub the 31s pretty good at full flex + full lock. Some of the turns/switchbacks were real frame twisters!

Last edited by Unlimited04; 08-09-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #262
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

Ahhh ok, well I like em.

Those mountains look sick man, pretty place to go wheeling
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #263
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like the new avatar pic.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #264
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you could just check the profile <---

They're Rokmen sliders - post 127

Broke in the new SYE/CV & Rokmen upper control arms with some wheeling! Yes, the tire carrier & bumper are missing. Sold em. New bumper on the way...going a different route with tire carrier.

Red Cone:

Is that really Colorado or did you photoshop those pics.Incredible mountainsl!I see the goats were looking to catch a ride in your Jeep. I will stop all my comments on the 4 speed auto doing great now.Incredible scenery and mountains compared to Va where I'm stuck now.I'm from CT so mountains never existed and Va was all I had to compare stuff do.Great job and please move up to 35's and post pics.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #265
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Is that really Colorado or did you photoshop those pics.Incredible mountainsl!I see the goats were looking to catch a ride in your Jeep. I will stop all my comments on the 4 speed auto doing great now.Incredible scenery and mountains compared to Va where I'm stuck now.I'm from CT so mountains never existed and Va was all I had to compare stuff do.Great job and please move up to 35's and post pics.
hehehe, Colorado has absolutely amazing scenery. all of those pics were around 12,800 ft elevation. For reference, the "treeline" on the side of mountain is about 11,300 or so. 30%+ less oxygen = 30%+ less power.

You can imagine how important gearing is...maintaining some speed uphill and slow downhill crawl ratio are very important. Like if you go too fast on the loose rock, you'll slide sideways and roll 1000 ft down the mountain...and you can't ride the brakes a lot or they'll overheat & fail. Some are so loose and steep you can't hardly stand without deep lug hiking boots, or using all fours like a dog.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #266
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pictures

What do you have in store for the new rear bumper/tire carrier?
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #267
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Nice pictures

What do you have in store for the new rear bumper/tire carrier?
dunno yet...but i'll be starting with another bumper from "knoblockbumpers" on ebay. He makes very good stuff at a great price.

I finally got the HP D30 installed. I don't have many pictures or a write-up...theres plenty of those on this forum already, and I just didn't have the time.

Had some issues with the Vanco brakes, but after bouncing a few emails/pics and phone convos with Van, a little grinder work, I got it figured out and got the brakes installed. Bleeding the brakes was a challenge, and I finally gave up and drove to a local shop to have it done.

Today, I went to a local guy from COjeeps.net to get the gears done. Well that turned into a disaster. The ring gear bolt holes for my TrueTrac carriers are 7/16", but the bolts included in the master install kit are much smaller. Bolts on the stock carriers are also the smaller size. So basically, here we are with my front axle torn completely down, with no way to install the new carrier or ring gear. Well we put it back together by using the old carrier + old shims and removing the ring gear. So yea....driving around with the old carrier with no ring gear and old chattered carrier bearings.

On the upside, I installed a new NAPA ZJ tie-rod and got another Firestone alignment. Camber is a bit off, maybe from the way I pressed the ball joints in, or warping of the housing from welding, who knows. It's within spec, and will work fine, just one of those things....and it still drives great.

Camber:
Left: -0.2°
Right: -0.7°

Caster:
Left: 6.6°
Right: 6.5°

Total Toe: 0.28°
Trust Angle: -0.16°

The main question - how do I fix the ring gear bolt size problem?

I left a PM & phone call with East Coast Gear Supply...but nobody's home on the weekend apparently.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 08-21-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #268
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

4.88s are in finally.

and this is why you get new bearings when you do a regear. this is what the junkyard HP D30's carrier bearings looked like...this was the bad side.

don't cheap out, buy the master install kit
Unread 08-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #269
Barrows
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How do you like the 33's and the 4.88 gears?
Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #270
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hehehe, Colorado has absolutely amazing scenery. all of those pics were around 12,800 ft elevation. For reference, the "treeline" on the side of mountain is about 11,300 or so. 30%+ less oxygen = 30%+ less power.

You can imagine how important gearing is...maintaining some speed uphill and slow downhill crawl ratio are very important. Like if you go too fast on the loose rock, you'll slide sideways and roll 1000 ft down the mountain...and you can't ride the brakes a lot or they'll overheat & fail. Some are so loose and steep you can't hardly stand without deep lug hiking boots, or using all fours like a dog.
Which is why I like my six speed manual tranny here in the High Sierra of California, just put it in 4low and first gear and crawl down without touching the brakes.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.