Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #196
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Holy crap dude, that's sick!

Btw, how's the tranny holdin up after the rebuild?
It works. I still hate the shift points.

It took like 2.5 hours to pull that axle....it was being stubborn!! The wheelbarrel crashed carrying it too...the front axle is definitely a two person job...its gotta weigh 250-300+lbs

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #197
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

oh easy! you'd have to be luckrider to sling that thing on your shoulder like a fireman!

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #198
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
oh easy! you'd have to be luckrider to sling that thing on your shoulder like a fireman!

anyway Unlimited04... Nice find!!

let me ask you, what plans for the leather seat??
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #199
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious as to how much those parts ran you, around here they would have charged an arm and a leg?
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #200
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Score! Got a Jeep load of stuff cheap at the U-pull-it

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/unlimited04/MyJeep/Itllfit.jpg[/IMG

1999 Non-Disco HP D30, with steering and LCA's still attached - will get cleaned, trussed & rebuilt with 4.88s/TrueTrac
CJ7 tailgate - for future camping trailer
Ford Explorer roof rack - for the hard top
Seat is a leather rear out of a ZJ (COLOUXJ's)
does blaine still have the rubi axle?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #201
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
let me ask you, what plans for the leather seat??
That is COLOUXJ's, its going in back of his XJ. We pulled the rear leather seat out of one ZJ....walked 30 ft and found another ZJ in even better shape. So we put the 1st set back and went to work on the 2nd set. Couldn't find a drivers seat, but did find a passenger seat in good shape but he decided to wait for a matched set. And right next to that ZJ was a 1999 XJ with a pristine HP D30 . Both front and rear diffs on that XJ had been opened (newer RTV) and the fluid was still in good shape. It also had a Wix paper filter in the box...so somebody has hopefully done good maintenance on it. Rows and rows of CFC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Just curious as to how much those parts ran you, around here they would have charged an arm and a leg?
HP D30 with steering & LCAs, CJ7 tailgate, explorer rack was all under $160 total, with tax. The junkyard right next door wanted $220 for a HP D30. The leather seat was less than $40. I also found the trans cooler mounting clamps from a V8 ZJ might work to mount a trans cooler on the V-crossmember on a TJ...I'm going to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
does blaine still have the rubi axle?
he very well may, I passed on that. The owner wanted $1500 IIRC...4.88s & stock locker. PM him or Gerald and find out

As a side note...would a RHD Jeep mail truck with a 258 have a 12 CW crank? I saw one

And, next question regarding 1999/2001+ unit bearings - can I keep the XJ knuckles on, use a 2004 unit bearing and 2004 discs with 2004 or 1999 calipers? or do I need 2004 knuckles to be able to use newer unit bearings, newer calipers & newer discs?

Last edited by Unlimited04; 11-24-2009 at 08:53 AM..
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #202
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
That is COLOUXJ's, its going in back of his XJ. We pulled the rear leather seat out of one ZJ....walked 30 ft and found another ZJ in even better shape. So we put the 1st set back and went to work on the 2nd set. Couldn't find a drivers seat, but did find a passenger seat in good shape but he decided to wait for a matched set. And right next to that ZJ was a 1999 XJ with a pristine HP D30 . Both front and rear diffs on that XJ had been opened (newer RTV) and the fluid was still in good shape. It also had a Wix paper filter in the box...so somebody has hopefully done good maintenance on it. Rows and rows of CFC's.

HP D30 with steering & LCAs, CJ7 tailgate, explorer rack was all under $160 total, with tax. The junkyard right next door wanted $220 for a HP D30. The leather seat was less than $40. I also found the trans cooler mounting clamps from a V8 ZJ might work to mount a trans cooler on the V-crossmember on a TJ...I'm going to find out

he very well may, I passed on that. The owner wanted $1500 IIRC...4.88s & stock locker. PM him or Gerald and find out

As a side note...would a RHD Jeep mail truck with a 258 have a 12 CW crank? I saw one

And, next question regarding 1999/2001+ unit bearings - can I keep the XJ knuckles on, use a 2004 unit bearing and 2004 discs with 2004 or 1999 calipers? or do I need 2004 knuckles to be able to use newer unit bearings, newer calipers & newer discs?
the 12 CW's were used between 1971 and 1981

as far as the unit bearings, the knuckles are interchangeable between all years the difference is in the unit bearing itself. the later years were physically larger and require the use of a different rotor - thats pretty much it.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #203
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks to some expert help and the resources available at school, I got to use a plasma cutter for the 2nd time ever, and made stupid safety mistakes...almost got banned from the shop So always remember: a plasma cuts anything that is electrically conductive, including you!! Also its pushing 120psi through a pinhole sized orifice...so safety first!! I definitely need to learn more about how to use one... No harm done, just my stupid inexperience

Parts list (x-mas presents to myself)
- Made two 1/4" angle braces like mudb8 described here. One short, one tall.
- Made two truss pieces out of 3/16"
- D30 TrueTrac (6k miles, was in an XJ w/ HP 4.56 gears)
- Repaired the HP brake knuckles - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj...rooves-924713/
- Currie rear upper control arms from crqflier - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ad...l-arms-918110/
- Ford Explorer roof rack, junkyard style - described here.
- 5 ft of 3/16" and 1/8" flat - will be reinforcing LCA and pass side UCA mounts and the track bar mount. Extra will go toward the truss.
- Basically if you have the equipment you can reinforce the housing nicely for $20, literally.

The goods:

Lots of grinding left to do, but they'll fit:

A friend has a stick welder so I intend to have it welded properly with nickel rod.

Rear Track bar brace (the short one):

I haven't actually installed this yet, I need to wait for ~48hrs of above 50 degree temps for the silicon to cure properly after drilling holes, but this is what it will look like when its done:

I'm going to use stainless hardware btw.

I'm hoping I can ditch the t-case drop with the Currie upper arms...guess theres only one way to find out for sure. Besides, I don't mind drilling, my muffler isn't in the way
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #204
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to ask you, what did it sound liek when the snap ring broke in your transmission?

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #205
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
I forgot to ask you, what did it sound liek when the snap ring broke in your transmission?
Honestly, I have no idea. At this point, who knows...my Jeep sounded fine and drove fine...with a damaged trans. It's such a small part, I don't know if you'd hear it break....besides it might be one of those things that is cyclically loaded and becomes weak until it just cracks.

At 69k when I take it in again, if there is another snap ring broken I can tell you definitively. I may have heard a faint "tink" or snap sound about 6k ago, which i described above someplace. But the circumstances where I heard this "tink" were not adequate to make any sort of conclusion, and it still drives fine.

btw, trans temps get FREAKING HOT when climbing steep winding mountain roads in 1st-2nd between 15-35 mph. I saw over 200*F, it may have even gotten close to overheat mode. crusty1007 informed me this because the torque converter doesn't lock up in 1st or 2nd. Engine RPMs are constantly between 2000-4000rpms when mountain driving, so its pushing max torque without lockup to the trans, with no trans cooler. It got much hotter than when I went wheeling. And the trans temp sensor I made still works, even down to -1*F...takes a while to heat up, but so does the trans.

I think city driving, especially 1st-2nd-3rd jogs between 10-40mph, pushes the 42RLE harder than 4-wheeling.
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #206
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks, I was just wondering for future referance.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #207
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good. I dig the roof rack. It would be nice to have a hardtop and not have to shove 3 snowboards and 3 people into my jeep 4 times a week.
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #208
MisterO

love the roof rack, recently got my hard top and cant wait to put one of those up top for my snowboard... my buddy has a 96 explorer hes junking, will that roof rack work?? if yes i will probably be back here to ask for measurements so get them ready i like how yours sits..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #209
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
love the roof rack, recently got my hard top and cant wait to put one of those up top for my snowboard... my buddy has a 96 explorer hes junking, will that roof rack work?? if yes i will probably be back here to ask for measurements so get them ready i like how yours sits..
it very well may. that year is the right body style. but here's the catch, I saw at least two different roof rack styles at the junkyard. heck, a few Explorer's had a mix of cross bar styles. You want the one you see here - because its the most flexible and allows you to remove the cross bars with the push of a button and the turn of a knob.
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #210
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm hoping I can ditch the t-case drop with the Currie upper arms...guess theres only one way to find out for sure. Besides, I don't mind drilling, my muffler isn't in the way
^
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.