Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #181
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with mine, here is what I found. Moisture/corrosion would create a path from the crimp connector on the wire to the outer grounded surface of the sensor. Clean it up, put dielectric grease on it, then take a plastic screw cover and cut the top cap off of it and flip the bottom piece over the sensor to cover the upper crimped edge of it.

Here is a pic of the screw cover: (I think I picked them up at Home Depot)

Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #182
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosplace View Post
I had the same problem with mine, here is what I found. Moisture/corrosion would create a path from the crimp connector on the wire to the outer grounded surface of the sensor. Clean it up, put dielectric grease on it, then take a plastic screw cover and cut the top cap off of it and flip the bottom piece over the sensor to cover the upper crimped edge of it.

awesome idea. I figured out that grouding path like you described and wrapped some electrical tape around the sensor, encompassing the wire, crip and all. I went to the car wash to test it out, soaked the sensor with the pressure gun, and it still works great.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #183
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

regular maintenance turned into a disaster

Oil cap plastic guts exploded-

This is stuck in the valve cover-

Picked up a new cap from the dealership....something so simple turns into a mess.

Not my day today...gonna stay away from all tools and mechanical instruments.
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #184
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosplace View Post

I have a bunch of these (white though) if anyone wants some.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #185
timritchieblue
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

Picked up a new cap from the dealership....something so simple turns into a mess.

mine got stuck on, had to pry it off. after that i super glued the crap out of it. no more ratching oil cap

2000 TJ 2.5" CLAYTON L.A. W/HYDROS, SYE/XJ SHAFT, 4:10 GEARS, 8.8 MINI SPOOLED, LOC-RIGHT FRONT, 1" BODY LIFT, 1" MML, 35" MAXXIS BIGHORNS, RE GEN 2DISCOs, BELLY UP, ALCOS IN FRONT, WARN X8000I
timritchieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #186
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timritchieblue View Post
mine got stuck on, had to pry it off. after that i super glued the crap out of it. no more ratching oil cap
i don't understand why there is even a ratchet mechanism in the oil cap...what critical purpose could it serve? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to write on the cap - do not overtorque?
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #187
timritchieblue
2000 TJ Wrangler 

one would think? i dont understand why, except they prob. make alot of $$$ on it breaking.

2000 TJ 2.5" CLAYTON L.A. W/HYDROS, SYE/XJ SHAFT, 4:10 GEARS, 8.8 MINI SPOOLED, LOC-RIGHT FRONT, 1" BODY LIFT, 1" MML, 35" MAXXIS BIGHORNS, RE GEN 2DISCOs, BELLY UP, ALCOS IN FRONT, WARN X8000I
timritchieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #188
marylandjeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine has been like that since I got my jeep...I just use channel locks to get it off/on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKate
It's not "made BY chinese" that's the issue, it's "Made in China" that's the problem - now you behave yourself.
marylandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #189
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used an oil filter wrench on mine when it did that. I have one that's a rubber strap and was able to grab that little piece and twist it loose. I then put the two pieces back together and have been ok ever since. I guess I need to get a spare cap for the time it decides to blow up in my hand
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #190
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

It was no problem for channel locks and the new cap is on....its just one of those Jeep things that makes me wonder WTF the engineers were thinking....

I could never design vehicles. They would be entirely too function, too reliable, too easy to work on yourself and would simply make too much sense.
Unread 11-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #191
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

the next time the Jeep Engineers have a Q&A on Jeep Forum, we have to ask them why the engine oil filler cap has a ratcheting mechanism. What were they thinking???
Unread 11-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #192
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Remember, especially with vehicles, engineers have to assume that their average consumer isn't going to know diddly-squat about automobiles (even something as simple as an oil filler cap). If they were to do as you say and put a "DO NOT OVER-TORQUE" label on the cap, some dumb blonde would go and break it and sue Jeep claiming "over-torque" was a technical term she shouldn't need to understand.

The real question we should be asking is why did they make a ratcheting mechanism that breaks so easily. Personally, I couldn't give two ****s if it's ratcheting... just so long as it works
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #193
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

haha my old TJ did that every time i would try to change the oil when the engine is hot so i used to start every oil change with a channel lock in hand..
i would pry the top of the stupid ratcheting cap off and turn the underneath part with the channel lock.. became part of the oil change

oh and about the jeep engineers thingy i guess we can put that on the list of stupid design ideas like torx bolts and 42RLE behind the 4.0..lol
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #194
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Score! Got a Jeep load of stuff cheap at the U-pull-it

1999 Non-Disco HP D30, with steering and LCA's still attached - will get cleaned, trussed & rebuilt with 4.88s/TrueTrac
CJ7 tailgate - for future camping trailer
Ford Explorer roof rack - for the hard top
Seat is a leather rear out of a ZJ (COLOUXJ's)
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #195
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap dude, that's sick!

Btw, how's the tranny holdin up after the rebuild?

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.