Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #166
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves0 View Post
That's bloody brilliant! I've been having this same issue with my JKS storage pines... definitely added this to the list!
thanks, my friend says I should make & sell them. they're really quick to produce on a mill.

ZJ tie-rod is in -

The drivers side TRE is new, and the inner side is still the junkyard special. I pulled it off a 5.9L Limited ZJ, a CFC

Lil' bit of flex:

On the front bumpstops here:

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #167
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited, Ive been wanting to put this out there for a while just never did it.. I think your Jeep might have been a lil different from the factory. What Im talking about is your caster. After doing the same lift, I had 5.7* caster, you had 4* thats a big difference. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #168
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Unlimited, Ive been wanting to put this out there for a while just never did it.. I think your Jeep might have been a lil different from the factory. What Im talking about is your caster. After doing the same lift, I had 5.7* caster, you had 4* thats a big difference. What do you think?
i don't know, i've been puzzled as well. But I'm a 5.6-5.7* of caster now, with 2.5" lift + 0.75" spacers in front, with cam bolts maxed out.
The only other major difference between our lifts is wheelbase. How about your passenger side spring perch? Mines nice and small!! Gotta love wide manufacturing tolerances....

The factory spec is 7.0 deg +/- 1.0 deg. Maybe I was already on the low side around 6.5* and you were closer to the 8* mark?? Unfortunately I don't have alignment measurements before the lift, do you?

I'm considering going HP D30 to be able to get closer to 7* with adjustable control arms and keep the pinion off the rocks. Ideally, I'd love a bolt in HP D44 in ~61" WMS, stock brackets, 5 on 4.5, TrueTrac, 4.88s, something like the old Venezuelan XJ, but nobody makes a new one (Dynatrac & Solid do, but it costs almost as much as a HP D60 ).
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #169
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i don't know, i've been puzzled as well. But I'm a 5.6-5.7* of caster now, with 2.5" lift + 0.75" spacers in front, with cam bolts maxed out.
The only other major difference between our lifts is wheelbase. How about your passenger side spring perch? Mines nice and small!! Gotta love wide manufacturing tolerances....

The factory spec is 7.0 deg +/- 1.0 deg. Maybe I was already on the low side around 6.5* and you were closer to the 8* mark?? Unfortunately I don't have alignment measurements before the lift, do you?

I'm considering going HP D30 to be able to get closer to 7* with adjustable control arms and keep the pinion off the rocks. Ideally, I'd love a bolt in HP D44 in ~61" WMS, stock brackets, 5 on 4.5, TrueTrac, 4.88s, something like the old Venezuelan XJ, but nobody makes a new one (Dynatrac & Solid do, but it costs almost as much as a HP D60 ).
I never noticed my passenger side spring perch being any different from my drivers side. I do not have the specs before my lift. Im betting I was at about 7 and you were about 6 from the start. Im perfectly happy with my caster as of right now, Im not wondering on the road or anything and my pinion angle seems to be okay right now. When I go up to 35s I might need more caster because Im prolly going with 1.5 spacers up front (with Nth relocators rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #170
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Update!

42RLE + B & M Transmission Temperature Gauge

If you've been following this thread, you'll like this new 42RLE addition

Cost: $54 for B&M kit shipped from Summit Racing, and who knows...~$60 + 5-7 gallons of gas making 3 cussing trips to the hardware/auto parts store.

Concept temp sensor clamp:

Made with lathe & mill:

Drilled a 2-1/16 hole with a hole saw (trip #1 & #2, ~$60 @ hw store):

Sensor wire follows the shift cable out and down the firewall:

Sensor is threaded into the aluminum 'heat sink' & held on by a stainless clamp:

^^its attached to the drivers side line - the hot side.

I put three short pigtails on the gauge wiring so the console can be easily removed, wires are color coded & marked (trip #3, $12 @ auto parts store):

Now the cool part -
The console has a little light that illuminates the shift locations, and this light dims with the dash. I spliced into the orange wire and hooked it to the backlight on the gauge - this means it lights up with the dash, and dims with the dash. Also there is already a ground for the subwoofer, so I reused the factory screw/ground location.

It works!!
160*F after idling for 10 minutes - 210*F coolant temp-

Special thanks to "dbbd1" for giving me the idea for the concept, and sending me a bunch of heat transfer compound, which I packed around the sensor to hopefully make a better heatsink between the aluminum and the brass of the sensor. An easy alternative would be to fill the hole with ATF+4 or air compressor oil or mineral oil and then thread the sensor in before mounting.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 11-18-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #171
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Freakin NICE work.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #172
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

have you tried it yet on the highway to see how well it works? also what's your plans with the second unit? I'm interested.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #173
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome unlimited, I will definitely look into doin this later down the road.
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #174
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
have you tried it yet on the highway to see how well it works? also what's your plans with the second unit? I'm interested.
my plans are to keep it for reference right now. I know there are quite a few people interested in these, so I'm going to start running some numbers...material costs, local quotes, time to make them, price points, etc.

no highway driving yet. I might wrap it with something...header wrap? some sort of heat shield?
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #175
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

well, went wheeling & snow bashing...trans was around 130-170*F most of the time...then all the sudden:

Put it in Neutral and let it idle. Crawled under there...definitely not 360*F. Sensor was covered in muddy water, which tells me its grounding out through the water somehow. Looks like I definitely need to shrink wrap it or something.

EDIT: I have since fixed this issue by placing a 1/8" thick little piece of rubber between the nut/wire and the sensor. It keeps the water from working into the sensor and creating a conduction path, which is all thats needed.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 03-10-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #176
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you ever get that trans cooler back on? Or is that how it's running stock?
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #177
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
Did you ever get that trans cooler back on? Or is that how it's running stock?
All stock, no additional trans cooler yet.
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #178
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

could something as simple as locktite or teflon tape be enough to seal the threads and prevent this?
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #179
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
could something as simple as locktite or teflon tape be enough to seal the threads and prevent this?
That aluminum is facilitating heat transfer on all sides. He's going to need to insulate it from everything except the the tube in question if it's to remain accurate under less-than-ideal conditions
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #180
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
well, went wheeling & snow bashing...trans was around 130-170*F most of the time...then all the sudden:

Put it in Neutral and let it idle. Crawled under there...definitely not 360*F. Sensor was covered in muddy water, which tells me its grounding out through the water somehow. Looks like I definitely need to shrink wrap it or something.
call vulcan and ask them for recomendations.... I haven't had any complaints or results like that. the bad boy diesels are spending time on the track tho, not the mud pits..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.