Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Reply
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #151
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
i cant believe that such a minor adjustment in caster made such a big difference. i might roll my front end back a little bit.

theoretically, if there isnt any input torque on the driveshaft - i wont get any vibes right?
Well stock is 7* caster, at least according to Firestone's computer it is, so the closer you can get to that the better, but gotta remember pinion angle.

and you can still get vibes (and u-joint destruction) from a driveshaft even if there is no torque input. It all depends where the u-joints bind, torque just makes it worse. The single cardan u-joint style is pretty bad when it comes to angle of operation. The more bend in the single cardan shaft the more friction in the system, and the larger the difference in the rotation speeds between the driven and drive side....it isn't true constant velocity.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #152
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
i thought TJ's front driveshafts were double cardan from the factory? i know mines got 3 u-joints in it
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #153
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
i thought TJ's front driveshafts were double cardan from the factory? i know mines got 3 u-joints in it
yea double cardan on the t-case side, single cardan on the pinion side. vibes will most likely come from the pinion side when correcting caster with a lift. I suppose you could even bind the DC side of the front shaft if you're pointing the rear down a lot for a tall lift.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #154
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
watch this YouTube Video at 3:15 and 6:48

YouTube - the Thompson Coupling in action

Its a sales pitch for the Thompson Coupling, but the demos pretty much explain why you break u-joints in the front axle with throttle + turning and where you get driveshaft vibes from.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #155
glockster
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chino, Ca.
Posts: 2,113
my latest alignment numbers:

camber - .07 (left) .07 (right)
x camber 0.0

caster - 5.9 (left) 6.9 (right)
x caster 1.0

toe - 0.15 (left) 0.15 (right
total toe - 0.30

Here is the response to the question I posed about pinion angles and caster from flatlanded757 in his end all alignment thread:

"Caster is more important than pinion angle. Unless you are getting vibrations from your front driveshaft don't even mess with it, you're gaining nothing.

As for the 1 degree difference, a lot of vehicles actually specify that, higher caster on the right side isn't bad unless it's WAY out. Go back to the section explaining "road crown." You probably don't experience pulling because of that, they are basically cancelling each other out.

Your Jeep is fine. Enjoy it."

Phone calls confirmed this sentiment was shared by Tom Woods, Rubicon Express and the shop that did the alignment. As the FSM states, Pinion angle trumps Caster on a stock jeep. Set the caster and the pinion angle is what it is. I have run up to 90 mph without a vibe anywhere. I'll check pinion angles just so I can post a number. I ain't changing it. I'm happy. Just my .02 cents worth.
__________________
Marco

Glockster's Rubihara Build

Last edited by glockster; 10-03-2009 at 10:09 PM..
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #156
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
incredible. Spicer was an idiot?

friday is going to be a long day
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #157
glockster
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chino, Ca.
Posts: 2,113
hmm....I didn't call anybody an idiot. Merely stated what was working for my Jeep.

What's friday got to do with anything?
__________________
Marco

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #158
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
hmm....I didn't call anybody an idiot. Merely stated what was working for my Jeep.

What's friday got to do with anything?
i was talking to Unlimited. friday is the day im going to roll my front axle back. that is if i have time after putting my beadlocks together
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #159
glockster
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chino, Ca.
Posts: 2,113
ahhh.......gotcha.

What is it your not happy with? vibes?
__________________
Marco

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #160
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
ahhh.......gotcha.

What is it your not happy with? vibes?
I think he's worried about getting vibes from the front driveshaft by putting too much caster in since he's got such a tall lift. Spyder, post pics of the pinion angle - will be interesting to the result vs caster. It will definitely drive better

Side note - on a trip to Rokmen in south denver with a friend, We saw a guy in SWB TJ w/ what looked like 4.5-5.5" springs on a SA RE lift, with 35s. He was so squirrely it was ridiculous, wandering all over in the ruts in the road...looked like he was wrestling an alligator in the drivers seat. I couldn't deal with that....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #161
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
This might be useful to some concerned about thrust angle. Tjosh97 asked about it, and here's an explanation on how an adjustable track bar helps:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ca...ml#post8060770
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #162
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
Update!

Quick Disconnect Stow-Away Cams

So when I drilled and tapped my frame for the JKS disconnect attachments, I didn't measure anything I just kinda marked it with a sharpie, eyeballed and started drilling in my haste. Well they were not lined up on each side and were just a massive pain to force into place for off-roading. So I invented some cam bolts basically to fix the issue. I figured the arc of both sides has to intersect someplace!! So, a little bit of time in front of the Bridgeport and bingo the result is awesome. I dialed in both sides, now I can effortlessly disconnect, stow, and then reconnect the sway bar. No spitting grease out the bushing, no grunting, no cussing, they slide on and off stupid easy. Why didn't JKS think of this!?



They're basically a 1/2" thick billet of aluminum about 0.65" wide and 1.2" long with two holes in it. One hole is tapped for 5/16-18 UNC, and one is a thru hole. Very simple to make. I used a Bridgeport mill, but all you really need is a hand saw to cut the pieces, a vise to hold them, a 5/16-18 tap, a power drill, and most importantly Q and F size drill bits. The Q is the oversize free fit bit for one hole, the F size is the tap drill bit for the other. I countersunk the thru hole for a stainless socket head cap screw, but you could use a button head or hex head for clearance, or just make the cams bigger. The stub is held on by the bolt included by JKS.

Spin both sides till the discos fit perfectly, tighten when done.


With the sway bar disco'ed:




This is one of those simple things that makes life a little bit easier
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #163
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,232
went to the junkyard today....

$40-
XJ front spring retainer clips
ZJ V8 tie-rod from a 5.9L
XJ roof rack

Found a HP D30, but it was ABS and non-UpCountry, so it had 3.55s or worse. Decided to wait until I find a 96-99 HP D30 w/ 3.73s & no ABS. All the other XJ's were 00-01, LP's. Got a set of sagging XJ leaf springs from "COLOUXJ", hope to make a camping/off-road trailer out of those some day.

What a shame on CFC - so many XJ's and ZJ's in pristine condition - the ZJ I pulled the tie-rod from was a 5.9L Most of the seats in vehicles were still in great condition. Its gangbusters at the junkyards, they're loving it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #164
Jebussaves0
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Update!

Quick Disconnect Stow-Away Cams

So when I drilled and tapped my frame for the JKS disconnect attachments, I didn't measure anything I just kinda marked it with a sharpie, eyeballed and started drilling in my haste. Well they were not lined up on each side and were just a massive pain to force into place for off-roading. So I invented some cam bolts basically to fix the issue. I figured the arc of both sides has to intersect someplace!! So, a little bit of time in front of the Bridgeport and bingo the result is awesome. I dialed in both sides, now I can effortlessly disconnect, stow, and then reconnect the sway bar. No spitting grease out the bushing, no grunting, no cussing, they slide on and off stupid easy. Why didn't JKS think of this!?



They're basically a 1/2" thick billet of aluminum about 0.65" wide and 1.2" long with two holes in it. One hole is tapped for 5/16-18 UNC, and one is a thru hole. Very simple to make. I used a Bridgeport mill, but all you really need is a hand saw to cut the pieces, a vise to hold them, a 5/16-18 tap, a power drill, and most importantly Q and F size drill bits. The Q is the oversize free fit bit for one hole, the F size is the tap drill bit for the other. I countersunk the thru hole for a stainless socket head cap screw, but you could use a button head or hex head for clearance, or just make the cams bigger. The stub is held on by the bolt included by JKS.

Spin both sides till the discos fit perfectly, tighten when done.


With the sway bar disco'ed:




This is one of those simple things that makes life a little bit easier
That's bloody brilliant! I've been having this same issue with my JKS storage pines... definitely added this to the list!
__________________
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #165
LJameson
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth Lake, CA
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
went to the junkyard today....

$40-
XJ front spring retainer clips
ZJ V8 tie-rod from a 5.9L
XJ roof rack

Found a HP D30, but it was ABS and non-UpCountry, so it had 3.55s or worse. Decided to wait until I find a 96-99 HP D30 w/ 3.73s & no ABS. All the other XJ's were 00-01, LP's. Got a set of sagging XJ leaf springs from "COLOUXJ", hope to make a camping/off-road trailer out of those some day.

What a shame on CFC - so many XJ's and ZJ's in pristine condition - the ZJ I pulled the tie-rod from was a 5.9L Most of the seats in vehicles were still in great condition. Its gangbusters at the junkyards, they're loving
it.
tell me about it. I just went last weekend to get some interior parts for my xj. There was 7 WJs there, all in perfect shape. And a 2001 green 2 door XJ that still had the battery in it, 60k miles. The interior didn't even looke touched, it was sad. I plan on going tomorrow to get a ZJ tie rod and shift handle. Sounds silly, but it looks and feels nicer then the Tj one and it's a direct fit
__________________
"Anything to do with the land, I love."
"So it's probably eighty percent luck and twenty percent skill."

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.