Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited04's LJ Build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #136
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so.....you recommending Firetone's lifetime wheel alignment?? I need to get that done now that everything has settled on my lift.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #137
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
so.....you recommending Firetone's lifetime wheel alignment?? I need to get that done now that everything has settled on my lift.
yea, it seemed like a good deal to me. I did it because I don't have the room, the patience nor the inclination to do it myself. Plus, they will do caster if you have adjustable control arms, or get them in the future. They will even realign your Jeep if you swap to completely new axles. heck you can convert to IFS later and they'll still align it for free. if you bust a tie-rod wheeling in another state, you can put a new tie-rod on in their parking lot, drive it in and have them align it again...for free. just make sure to carry the receipt with the lifetime code in your glovebox.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #138
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to vote! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/ch...veaway-843663/

hopefully you vote for me
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #139
Airdoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
I can second the Lifetime Alignment by Firestone - I have it on 3 vehicles now..and whenever I want an check or change (for my BMW track car)..they do it.

It's a money saver as long as you keep your vehicle...if you swap/sell your vehicles alot....not such a good deal.
Unread 08-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #140
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I hate you. You have the build specs I want to do, and you live in a beautiful state. I hate SOCAL :

Now that you've go some time behind the new tranny, is it better or worse? And did that reprogramming trick work?
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #141
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
I hate you. You have the build specs I want to do, and you live in a beautiful state. I hate SOCAL :

Now that you've go some time behind the new tranny, is it better or worse? And did that reprogramming trick work?
how can you hate SoCal? I hear its beautiful! Crowded, with too much traffic, but still you've got ocean...I really miss the open water of Lake Erie

I'm not to sure about the tranny...it worked great for about two weeks, it felt like i had more power (maybe better transmission of power with no slippage??). But I recently heard a loud snap noise, could have been anything really, radio was on full blast and i was driving around trash in the parking lot, with gear bouncing in the back...so who knows. I could have run over a water bottle or anything. I just had a feeling it was the same snap ring again, but have no evidence...no slippage, nothing. It kinda shutters when I try to accelerate full throttle from a stop - which it did before the rebuild, and i assumed was normal, but this didn't happen directly after the rebuild. I haven't even gone 3k miles, haven't been off pavement and if its busted again, i dunno what to think. Guess I'll keep driving it until 69k, then have the stealership drop the pan. If anything is wrong....it will be rebuilt again....

It still shifts into OD at 45mph. It still shifts into 3rd to quickly from 2nd. I just keep the OD OFF, and push it when I want to use OD above 55mph. I gained about 1mpg overall w/ OD OFF - via Scangauge I get 20-22mpg @ 45mph in 3rd, and 17-18mpg in OD @ 45mph. Why Jeep thinks their programming is more fuel efficient I'll never understand.
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #142
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Would either drop by or at least call the Svc. Mgr at that dealership and let him know the trans may have issues again and make him at least acknowledge the call and message. Wouldn't hurt.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #143
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Good shot of the undercarriage:

Snow wheeling is getting here:

^^thats my friend's Chaser Adventure Trailer. That thing is just plain freakin' awesome.

Pretty:
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #144
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Snow?!?!
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #145
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Snow?!?!
yup we camped in it too. Temp was around 24-26*, with some wicked wind. I did NOT pitch my tent. I slept diagonally in my Jeep for the first time

Finally got my cam bolts installed today. Eyeballed it, then drove to the nearest Firestone for my free lifetime alignment. Waited in line forever, but found out I got my caster to 5.7*/6.0* (D/P). Toe was messed up somehow...was nearly straight at 0*.

Would going from 4.0* to 6.0* caster cause toe to move out 0.28* (total)??? Either that or my lift is still settling .

Steering wheel return-to-center is much better, much smoother at highway speed, far less wander, but still a slight harmonic vibe at 50mph. When I hit a horrible bump @ 65mph in the construction zone/torn up highway, the Saturn in front of me almost lost control and my Jeep almost went into DW, but it only wobbled about 4 times, progressively decreasing and stopped as soon as I took my foot of the gas.

Cam bolts installed:

Pinion angle still looks good:

Next up...finding a ZJ tie-rod and fixing the JKS front track bar issue.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 10-03-2009 at 07:37 PM..
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #146
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

were the cam bolts worth it? Was the caster that bad when you didn't have them?
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #147
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Changing the caster will result in a slight change of your toe due to the rotating of the axle changing the relative distance between the knuckle mounting points and the pitman arm. Very slight, but noticeable.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #148
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachTJ06 View Post
were the cam bolts worth it? Was the caster that bad when you didn't have them?
these are Zone Off-Road cam bolts from Ebay. I don't have the $500 ish required for Rokmen arms at the moment, so these will work indefinitely if necessary. The stock arms aren't that bad, they're pretty strong for what they are. Mine aren't bent, so I've really got no reason to change.

Keep in mind I'm a perfectionist. I didn't like the wander and how easy it was to over-correct on the highway with 4.0* of caster. I also wanted to eliminate my slight steering harmonics at 50mph. I didn't get a chance to give a good, long distance, quality test @ 47-50mph with the new toe & new caster, but with ~0* of toe and 6.0* of caster it was still present.

It definitely drives better, and it was doing pretty good before. Its two fingers on the steering wheel on the highway, still has a slight pull to the right...same as it did bone stock .

So yes, for under 3" of lift, I'd say they are definitely worth it if you don't have a reason to replace your stock arms. They do their job, and they're very easy to install
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #149
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks unlimited. BDS recommends em for my lift, but i'm gonna see how it is before i buy them.
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #150
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i cant believe that such a minor adjustment in caster made such a big difference. i might roll my front end back a little bit.

theoretically, if there isnt any input torque on the driveshaft - i wont get any vibes right?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.