Unlimited Rubicon; best shocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited Rubicon; best shocks?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
shadows_lair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unlimited Rubicon; best shocks?

All,

Anyone with an Unlimited Rubicon change their shocks yet? How do they compare with stock, and what mileage on originals? I've heard Rancho RS5000s and Bilstein are good options. Comments? I don't want anything with air lines hanging down...

I spend most of my time off-road, and at 30K, the shock ride seems pretty jarring when going over the many 6-12 inch drops I have to encounter everyday. Lots of side-side rolling also.

Mike H. in Sedona, Az

shadows_lair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows_lair View Post
Anyone with an Unlimited Rubicon change their shocks yet?
Nope, everyone still running stock.

Quote:
How do they compare with stock, and what mileage on originals? I've heard Rancho RS9000XL and Bilstein are good options. Comments?
Fixed it for you.

Quote:
I don't want anything with air lines hanging down...
Air lines hanging down from shocks?
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Air lines hanging down from shocks?
I think He's talking about a piggyback reservoir or something
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
shadows_lair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For some reason, I got the idea the RS9000 series had air lines via which to adjust the ride. That's why I would prefer the RS5000 series. Am I getting the wrong idea?

Thanks,
Mike H.
shadows_lair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For some reason, I got the idea the RS9000 series had air lines via which to adjust the ride. That's why I would prefer the RS5000 series. Am I getting the wrong idea?

Thanks,
Mike H.
That is an option if you want the in cab adjustment, but not necessary. Mine are great and just have the dials on each one to adjust.

That being said, what is your concern about air lines? Anyone with OBA or air lockers has air lines running around their vehicles. Its not like they are hanging down to get caught on things. Using zip ties you can fix them nice and snug to run however you'd like.
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I went with bilsteins. They ride good. This is covered often, youll get more opinions by searching
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. I did not get the 'my ride' system so I do not have any air lines to deal with. It took me a few months of playing with different settings, but I have finally found a setting that I really like. Now that I have found the settings I like, I would definitely recommend these shocks. The real beauty about them is that you can stiffen them up when your loaded down. This is definitely an asset with the LJ since it can carry more weight in the rear than the TJ.

One thing that I would also keep in mind when replacing shocks is that the factory Rubicon shocks (I'm not sure on the others) are a gas charged shock. So I would stick with gas shocks. If you go to hydro shocks you are actually taking a step backwards in my opinion. So from my experience I would recommend the Rancho RS9000XL. But that is the only Rancho product that I would recommend at this point.

Other shocks that I don't have personal experience with but that you might want to consider would be the Bilstein 5100 series and the OME shocks. When looking at the Bilstein shocks, be sure you get the 5100 series shocks that are valved specifically for Jeeps. They have one set that is made for the Rubicon or Jeeps with 1" of lift and one set for a Jeep with 3" of lift. If you're stock get the Rubicon shocks for 1" of lift.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All,

Anyone with an Unlimited Rubicon change their shocks yet? How do they compare with stock, and what mileage on originals? I've heard Rancho RS5000s and Bilstein are good options. Comments? I don't want anything with air lines hanging down...

I spend most of my time off-road, and at 30K, the shock ride seems pretty jarring when going over the many 6-12 inch drops I have to encounter everyday. Lots of side-side rolling also.

Mike H. in Sedona, Az
If money isn't a worry, go with walker evans, king or fox shocks.. But if you are not looking at spending serious money and just want something good enough for the price it's between bilstein 5100's and rancho's
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRubi04 View Post
If money isn't a worry, go with walker evans, king or fox shocks.. But if you are not looking at spending serious money and just want something good enough for the price it's between bilstein 5100's and rancho's
See how it starts?

Do you have your Foxes dialed in yet?
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
See how it starts?
When is TJdualsport going to show up?
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

I know both the Bilsteins and Rancho have limited lifetime warranties. I'm not sure what is covered?

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
skydizzle
2004 LJ Wrangler 

OME
skydizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
55willystruck

Another fan of the 9000XL's here. Been a great addition after a couple sets of OME's. The ability to adjust them for the heavier gear I'm carrying in the LJ is great.

On a positive note, I destroyed both my rear airline fittings on the shocks themselves down on the Rubicon. I've had the shocks for some time now-well over a year and a half, maybe closer to two, I honestly forget. I swapped the air fittings with the regular turn-dial knobs and left them in place, rather than pull the lower bolt and flip the shock around inside towards the axle instead of out. Naturally broke both the manual knobs off too, and managed to dent the driver rear on some rocks. I sent an email to Rancho customer service asking if I could BUY new adjustment knobs-4 of the manuals and 2 of the air fittings, explaining that in my stupidity I destroyed the others. They sent a note back with the part numbers I needed and said to call the warranty line, so I did. Today I just received a package containing 4 manual adjust knobs and 2 new steel air fittings. They sent them free of charge, didn't cost me a dime-and this was MY fault they broke. After seeing the new steel fittings, I should have requested 4 of them as well, but hey, still pretty cool they warranteed this out like that without questioning a thing.

I don't know what all the warrantee covers, but this is a part I considered to be a "maintenance" type item and was fully ready to buy them for spares. Nice to know Rancho stands behind their stuff, even as simple as this was. Thought I'd mention it for those on the fence regarding these shocks and air lines or not. I haven't had a single issue with anything on the shocks or MyRide setup other than this. They've been great overall.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
Ulumanati
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the rancho rs5000's and they suck! Extremely harsh, definitely go with the 9000xl's
Unread 09-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
JeepRubi04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
See how it starts?

Do you have your Foxes dialed in yet?
Haha I knew you'd come in and I don't blame you. But you gotta admit my answer is partially right.. I should have re-stated to: "if money and time are not a worry" haha but thats why I ended it on a good note and recommended either bilsteins or rancho's, which if I would have listened to you, I'd probably have one less of an expensive headache .

And no I haven't dialed them in. I tried looking into what bilsteins are valved to which is:
Front 134/66 digressive rebound/compression
Rear 174/47 digressive rebound/compression
JeepRubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.