Unlimited Black Hole - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unlimited Black Hole

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #781
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats Savvy!

ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #782
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Regarding the question on passing tech, the pre-race tech exam focuses primarily on safety issues. Post race they impound the winners (or anybody else who gets a red card thrown on them) and do a more thorough exam. Thats where HK DQ'd Gigglepin. Gigglepin will still run tomorrow (they separately got a KOH spot from Dave) so will be interesting.

Wonder if John will drive the LJ tomorrow. Last year he co-drove with Casey instead and so Gerald was in the driver's seat for the big race. I think Casey has a different co-driver this year but not positive.
Thanks for the clarification... Enjoyed the Internet Feed and Race Chat today! Can't wait to see the big race tomorrow.

I keep talking about going down there for the race, but dang if life doesn't crap all over my plans every year!

I would love to see them be able to finish the Race tomorrow...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #783
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Thanks for the clarification... Enjoyed the Internet Feed and Race Chat today! Can't wait to see the big race tomorrow.
Chat was good today. Spent the last 3 days helping moderate it. Saw you and a few other people from here there today. One more day. Couldn't get out there this year, but could at least volunteer and help even from 3000 miles away.
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #784
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Chat was good today. Spent the last 3 days helping moderate it. One more day. Couldn't get out there this year, but could at least volunteer and help even from 3000 miles away.
I feel guilty, I'm only 450 miles away and couldn't make it!

You were rockin' that Chat room!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #785
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You were rockin' that Chat room!
LOL. Actually makes me feel rather dorky. Given time spent there last year I have a reasonable sense of what's going on, the operational stuff, rules, etc. Enough to make me sound like I know what I'm talking about at least.
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #786
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL. Actually makes me feel rather dorky. Given time spent there last year I have a reasonable sense of what's going on, the operational stuff, rules, etc. Enough to make me sound like I know what I'm talking about at least.
Very informative biff! Thanks!
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #787
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I keep talking about going down there for the race, but dang if life doesn't crap all over my plans every year!

I would love to see them be able to finish the Race tomorrow...
It's done that way for several reasons, but mostly to stop any infractions that may have been done after qualifying, after tech, and after a few nights of wrenching. It don't take much to swap out steering if you know what you are doing and have the full hydro set-up already to go on. It also don't take much to bolt on a set of sticky tires, so the winners go into impound and get thoroughly inspected for rule compliance.

You can run them through all manner of tech inspections and the only way to stop them from being altered would be to sequester them under lock and key which is not at all feasible plus a lot of rigs are still being worked on right up until they hit the start line.

They also have the remote pits to contend with and it would not be difficult to bolt on a set of sticky tires at one of them either.

Impound for the podium finishers is the only way to pull it off fairly. Top 3 get impounded and inspected and that is all that really matters.

That said, the fact that only 1 stock class rig finished this year should tell everyone how hard they made the course. There were only 4 mod finishers.
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #788
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That said, the fact that only 1 stock class rig finished this year should tell everyone how hard they made the course. There were only 4 mod finishers.
IIRC last year in EMC very few people who just missed the time. Either people made it within time or broke. A lot of people talked smack about how it wasn't very hard. This was Dave's response to that talk.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #789
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
IIRC last year in EMC very few people who just missed the time. Either people made it within time or broke. A lot of people talked smack about how it wasn't very hard. This was Dave's response to that talk.
I've known Dave a long time. He is the very last person I would take smack to if I was racing and I would never talk smack about how easy it was.

The good news, it sure settles the rat turds out of the coffee grounds quite nicely. Ya wanna talk some smack? Here, how about a course with a 90% attrition rate overall, almost 97% for the stockers, and over 85% for the modifieds.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #790
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lest I forget, Dave had me run out to Spooners and take a hard look at the first hard spot to see if there were any alternate lines if a bottleneck happened. I saw at least 5 so he said he was going to run them up instead of down.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #791
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I've known Dave a long time. He is the very last person I would take smack to if I was racing and I would never talk smack about how easy it was.

The good news, it sure settles the rat turds out of the coffee grounds quite nicely. Ya wanna talk some smack? Here, how about a course with a 90% attrition rate overall, almost 97% for the stockers, and over 85% for the modifieds.
Prediction on attrition tomorrow? Typical is what? 50-60%? So maybe 70-75% tomorrow?

Watching qualifying I think there are 10-20 guys who's cars are working well and are fast. They will have one race. Everybody else racing to survive.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #792
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Lest I forget, Dave had me run out to Spooners and take a hard look at the first hard spot to see if there were any alternate lines if a bottleneck happened. I saw at least 5 so he said he was going to run them up instead of down.
Some bad bottlenecks today. Hopefully unlimited guys working better enough to avoid that tomorrow.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #793
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Prediction on attrition tomorrow? Typical is what? 50-60%? So maybe 70-75% tomorrow?

Watching qualifying I think there are 10-20 guys who's cars are working well and are fast. They will have one race. Everybody else racing to survive.
If they only get as high as 75% I'll be impressed. The big race is longer, harder, and the rigs have a lot more power with sticky tires to break stuff.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #794
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Some bad bottlenecks today. Hopefully unlimited guys working better enough to avoid that tomorrow.

There will never not be bottlenecks in that race as long as they run in the canyons. That what makes it that race.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #795
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There will never not be bottlenecks in that race as long as they run in the canyons. That what makes it that race.
Interesting how he set up Backdoor this year. Strategy to decide which lap people hit it. Presumably brings team and spotters in to play like never before in this race.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.