JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Unlimited Back Window exploded (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/unlimited-back-window-exploded-495709/)

MikeyBWindsurf 12-13-2007 04:04 PM

Unlimited Back Window exploded

Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this for me.
I was driving down the road during our first major snow storm this evening, (2004 Unlimited with hard top). I had recently used the back wiper to view traffic some ways behind me (approx 30 mph).

All of a sudden I hear a "BOOM". My back window shattered, (more like exploded) all over the inside of the jeep. There wasn't another vehicle w/in 100' when it happened. Is this a common occurance? Did anyone else have it happen to them? Would Jeep cover repairs in any way under warranty ? (purchased in '05).

Thanks for any and all input.

MB

BlackBellamy 12-13-2007 04:10 PM

I would carefully check the inside of the vehicle for bullet hole, or see if there is a little copper BB rolling around inside somewhere :)

90SaharaJeep 12-13-2007 04:32 PM

Yea I've never heard of a window spontaneously explode (even with the snow). Had to be something from the outside hitting it cause like you said, the glass was INSIDE your Jeep.

C2kraft 12-13-2007 04:49 PM

Possibly something was jammed between your window and the spare tire, expanded causing pressure against the window? Far fetched but was the first thing that came to my head, other than a bullet or an "extreme" snowball assault.

Crashnburn80 12-13-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bellamy
I would carefully check the inside of the vehicle for bullet hole, or see if there is a little copper BB rolling around inside somewhere :)

x2, or a rock.

redvett94 12-13-2007 05:12 PM

Jeep Warrany No. Its not Jeeps fault. See your insurance company. Things happen.

BlueFlame 12-13-2007 05:12 PM

or the window not being shut in the tailgate and slamming against a tire carrier?

Delta9 12-13-2007 05:16 PM

What about the defrost and cold air, I know it's far fetched?

redvett94 12-13-2007 05:20 PM

The side and rear windows are all tempered in modern vehicles. A previous scratch on the glass can cause the glass to break.

Rocky529 12-13-2007 06:12 PM

Something had to hit your window... it could be natural, but that is very rare.

1CleanTJ 12-13-2007 08:28 PM

probally some bored kids with a bb gun :D

Texan4life 12-13-2007 09:00 PM

If there is a big temperature difference between inside and outside, glass can be extra brittle. Something would still have to cause it.(rock or pressure)

When I was 10, I threw a snowball at a guy and hit a glass door instead. The largest piece of the glass left was about 1 sqare inch.

Unlimited04 12-13-2007 09:27 PM

i had my front windshield implode.

but that was because a BF ROCK hit it, a semi-truck leaving a quarry dropped some driveway gravel onto my front end....insurance covered a front clip repaint and a new windshield.

EnigmaMan 12-13-2007 10:02 PM

Hot air on cold class (ie cold on 1 side hot on the other) will cause the glass to "buckle" so to speak causing the glass to try and expand / contract at the same time causing a lateral (or sheer) effect of the glass.

I have had this personally happen just after I moved from FL to Denver CO. I had a chip in the front windshield from a few years back from a retarded semi truck driver (thats a whole other story). It didnt crack but just a tiny little chip that weakened the structural integrety of the glass and never though anything of it.

A bout 3 years later when I moved up to Denver, co it was prob 12F degrees outside and I had the defrost on HOT full blast to melt some snow / Ice on the outside of the windshield.. I was sitiing at a traffic light and a car drove by and passed me created a nice Blast of cold air on the windsheild a CRACK with 2 hairline fractures right from where that rock hit.

However, since 99% of all auto glass is tempered it should have cracked and stayed in place and not "shattered" and fallen to the ground unless there was some sort of External force pushing on it.

Good luck replaceing it, it will def cost you some $$!

BlueFlame 12-14-2007 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=EnigmaMan]Ho

However, since 99% of all auto glass is tempered it should have cracked and stayed in place and not "shattered" and fallen to the ground unless there was some sort of External force pushing on it.
QUOTE]

All car windows are tempered.
Only windshields are laminated safety glass. All others are just tempered.
A windshield will hold together due to the laminate, side and rear glass disintegrates into tiny pieces and falls to the ground.

The time now is 07:36 PM.