Uneven Tire Wear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Uneven Tire Wear

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Uneven Tire Wear

I've got a little over 4,000 miles on my 32" BFG AT's. They have not been rotated. I was planning on changing some fluids and rotating them this weekend and I just happened to look and see how they are wearing.
The rear two obviously look new, and the front two only have minor wear. My question is why would the passenger side tire be wearing more than the driver side? It's not a huge difference, but the centerline is worn even on the pass side and not yet on the driver side. Also the edges of the treads have slightly more wear. And yes, they're at the same psi.
Is it possible I just make more left turns?

djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Try jacking the front up and rotating the tires?- one may be dragging more than the other.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
87Feep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pass side always wears more. Primarily due to road crown forcing slightly more of the work to the passenger tire to counteract the crown.

If you're wearing centerline front, sounds like the pressures may be a little high.
87Feep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

maybe not your issue . . . but when you went to the bigger tires, did you decrease your toe-in? the factory service manual and most alignment shops measure it in degrees, so if you are still at the factory specs, then when you put on larger tires, you may have a bit too much.

Last edited by numchuck; 02-01-2008 at 06:57 AM..
numchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Feep
If you're wearing centerline front, sounds like the pressures may be a little high.
That was my initial thought, but they are at about 30 (varies with weather obviously...but 30 when warm) It's not wearing too much on the centerline either, just more than the driver's side.

I haven't checked into it any further, but each tire is wearing evenly. Just that the passenger side is wearing a little faster.
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck
maybe not your issue . . . but when you went to the bigger tires, did you decrease your toe-in? the factory service manual and most alignment shops measure it in degrees, so if you are still at the factory specs, then when you put on larger tires, you may have a bit too much.
I hadn't thought of that. It's about 1/16th of an inch right now, but I never though about it in degrees. Not sure I can really decrease it much more though.
Unread 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283
It's about 1/16th of an inch right now.
that should be good, then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.