Uneven tire wear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Uneven tire wear

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Moxzart
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Uneven tire wear

Installed a 4 lift about three months ago got the front end aligned when I finished the lift. About a month after that I installed a new track bar. Now I have noticed that my two front tires have warn a lot more then my two back tires. I have been on these new tires for about 3,500 miles. The two front tires just look like there are more miles on them then there really is. What should I do? Should i take it to get an alignment again or is there another problem.

Moxzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The toe-in was not set properly or perhaps the tie-rod got bent afterwards. Have the toe-in checked and adjusted again.

Or better yet, set the toe-in yourself for free in 10-15 minutes just as accurately as the alignment shop would do. Set it to 1/8" per the easy instructions at http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html using just a big set of pliers, steel tape measure (a friend to help will be useful) and a single socket wrench. This is not technical nor difficult, the average guy can set it very accurately with just a bit of care.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Moxzart
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help i am going to do an oil change tomorrow so i will get my buddy to help me with the toe-in adjusments.
Moxzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
wherndon
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxzart
Installed a 4 lift about three months ago got the front end aligned when I finished the lift. About a month after that I installed a new track bar. Now I have noticed that my two front tires have warn a lot more then my two back tires. I have been on these new tires for about 3,500 miles. The two front tires just look like there are more miles on them then there really is. What should I do? Should i take it to get an alignment again or is there another problem.
I just noticed mine is doing the same thing.
I don't even have 5000 miles on the Jeep. The dealer had the lift done and it was supposed to be an RE Super 4.5 with 3.5" springs, but they screwed up and installed the regular 3.5 with no adjustable uppers.

Anyway, when I look at the Jeep from the front, it looks like the tires are splayed out at the bottom (negative camber?). Makes me wonder if I need some adjustable upper control arms to rotate the tires a bit.

Any ideas on this?

thanks,
Bil
'05 Rubi, Patriot Blue, RE SF, Antirock, Warn, Fabtech, Tomken

wherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a camber problem with 5000 miles on your Jeep, the dealer owes you a new front axle housing. The camber is non-adjustable and will only be off if there's something bent or broken. You should not have to have anything adjustable put in to fix it.

Adjustable LOWER control arms will change the CASTER, not the camber. Adjustable ball joints do that.
2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
wherndon
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ysv
If you have a camber problem with 5000 miles on your Jeep, the dealer owes you a new front axle housing. The camber is non-adjustable and will only be off if there's something bent or broken. You should not have to have anything adjustable put in to fix it.

Adjustable LOWER control arms will change the CASTER, not the camber. Adjustable ball joints do that.
Thanks, I was mistaken on what the control arms effect and you are correct.
It still looks like the camber is off, but it could just be my tired eyes.
I'm gonna take it by my local tire shop in the morning and see what they have to say.
thanks,
Bil

Unread 08-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
wherndon
What the hell?

just got back from my buddies tire shop.

The toe-in was way off. This means that the folks(4W Parts) that installed my lift didn't do the alignment, like they were supposed to do.

Also the camber is off on one of the front wheels. Since this is not adjustable, it looks like my Jeep may be headed back to the dealer for some warranty work.

Bil

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.