JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Uneven Brake Wear (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/uneven-brake-wear-1142827/)

PDX_XJ 12-18-2010 10:00 PM

Uneven Brake Wear

I had a loud squeal from my front passenger wheel above 20mph. Assumed the brakes on that side were down to the squealer, so I swapped my brake pads. Good thing, since the driver's side pads were nearly gone.

The rotors looked fine, so I re-used them without machining. Old calipers were re-used as well, but now I'm questioning them.

Here's what the wear on the old one's looked like.

Driver's Side: Nearly gone, but the side the outside pad (away from the piston) had more meat on it. -- 1/8" vs 1/16"

Passenger Side: About halfway gone, but the inside pad (piston side) had more meat on it. -- 1/4" vs 3/8"

When I compressed the driver's piston back into the caliper, it took a lot of force at first, but loosened up. It was nearly all the way out due to the nearly gone pads, of course, so I don't know if that was an issue.

Question is: I understand a sticking caliper would cause one side to wear more than the other (driver vs. passenger), but what would cause an outside pad to wear differently than the inside pad? And why not the same way on each side?

Cjensenr 12-18-2010 11:31 PM

I have experienced this in the past. The sleeve freezed up. Another time it was the calipers. I would personally redo the calipers and disc/drum.
c.

TheBoogieman 12-19-2010 08:23 AM

You can get the calipers and new rotors and DIY.

johnny9 12-19-2010 09:19 AM

i abuse my stock brakes so much i gave up on perfection till the d60 and disks all around are on in a few months..replaced my caliper and brakes and lines 3 times to stop a rattle i have from the caliper and decided i have a bent knuckle..it stops fine but i hate noises lol..good luck:wave:

Unlimited04 12-19-2010 09:29 AM

The uneven pad wear is caused by a design flaw in the knuckles. The pads catch on the sliders, end up digging a divot into the cast iron knuckle, and the caliper can't apply even force across the brake pad. The knuckles also flex/warp with much of the braking force being applied to the knuckle, not the rotors.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj...rooves-924713/

scottbr 12-19-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 10645622)
The uneven pad wear is caused by a design flaw in the knuckles. The pads catch on the sliders, end up digging a divot into the cast iron knuckle, and the caliper can't apply even force across the brake pad. The knuckles also flex/warp with much of the braking force being applied to the knuckle, not the rotors.

So, what's the fix? grind the sliders flat again?

55willystruck 12-19-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 10645622)

X2 and precisely why the Vanco kit was build and why they include new beefed up knuckles to prevent future issues, along with better braking all around...

Not saying you have to switch BUT this is the inherent flaw with the system. I noticed it in my '05 brand new off the lot the brakes weren't up to par, and by the time the original 15" test kit was shipped, I had already developed uneven wear in my rig at a very early mileage. There are definitely other options but the Vanco is the best by far as a "complete" system.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Unlimited04 12-19-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottbr (Post 10645625)
So, what's the fix? grind the sliders flat again?

the link to fix it is in my sig.

55willystruck 12-19-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 10645631)
the link to fix it is in my sig.

Unlimited-

Wanted to say Thanks for the links in your sig-you have some very good info there. Nice work.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Unlimited04 12-19-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55willystruck (Post 10645655)
Unlimited-

Wanted to say Thanks for the links in your sig-you have some very good info there. Nice work.

Best of Luck,

Mike

sometimes I don't think anyone reads that stuff...:laugh::laugh:

johnny9 12-19-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 10645665)

sometimes I don't think anyone reads that stuff...:laugh::laugh:

just so you know,,i think we all read it lol..we just dont always reply:wave:
merry christmas:2thumbsup:

The time now is 09:16 AM.