Undercover Fab...extra clearance or ultra clearance skid? - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
gijeep02
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 309
Undercover Fab...extra clearance or ultra clearance skid?

It seems that the Undercover fab transfercase skids are getting really good reviews on many forums so I think I am going to go with one. i am having trouble deciding on which one though...the extra clearance one(about 2" deep) or the ultra clearance one(about 1" deep). I am leaning towards the extra clearance one as I am thinking that it would be the easier one to install and not have any driveline vibes that could be toublesome to weed out or require driveshaft lengthening and/or replacing the rear shaft with a CV shaft? Is that extra inch of clearance with the ultra clearance skid worth the extra work to weed out any vibes or with my current mods(having all adjustable control arms and 1"mml and 1"bl) would it be as easy as installing the extra clearance skid? Thanks.

gijeep02

gijeep02 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM
fratis
......
 
fratis's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hale'iwa
Posts: 5,092
You can always instal it with a form of tcase drop so that it places everything in its present location until you are ready to start reworking things then get it to the 1" drop level. I'd only go this route if you are dedicated to eventually mounting it properly though.

-insert meaningless out-of-place political diatribe-
fratis is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM
aTX427
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central
Posts: 560
I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with the lo pro case mount, an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.

Here is a picture of the 2" extra.


And the 1" Ultra
aTX427 is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
gijeep02
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.

Here is a picture of the 2" extra.


And the 1" Ultra
Cool, thanks. Judging by your pics, I think I will be just fine with the Extra Clearance Skid...I'm not doing hardcore rockcrawling all the time and the Extra is a lot better than the stock shovel by the looks of your pics.

gijeep02
gijeep02 is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
STRATTON
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: suffolk
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.

Here is a picture of the 2" extra.


And the 1" Ultra
sweet rig man, really like the way it looks.

thanks you for your post. answerd the questin i had floating around in my head for some time.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 AM
MJBinNM
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 609
I installed the "No Body Lift" version of the skid, and gained 1-1/2" of belly clearance. I figure with my 2-1/2" lift and the skid, I have as much clearance as a 4" lift. Well worth it in my opinion and it didn't create any driveline issues on my Unlimited. I did modify the exhaust mount, it wasn't absolutely necessary, but the exhaust was way too close to the tub for my liking without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You must have grown up in the no winners no losers generation where everyone gets a participation trophy and a pat on the butt for just showing up with their clothes on right side out.
MJBinNM is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 AM
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,160
I have the extra clearance steel version with the lo pro mount. Great products. After installing it I needed a MML and Novak Cable Shifter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0490.JPG   IMG_0465.JPG   IMG_0464.JPG  
2003X is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
gijeep02
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I have the extra clearance steel version with the lo pro mount. Great products. After installing it I needed a MML and Novak Cable Shifter.
Thanks. Questions for you...did you go with the 1/4" or 3/16" thick skid? Also, did you get a noticeable increase in vibration using the lo pro mount...I heard it's a more ridgid mount than factory.thanks.

gijeep02
gijeep02 is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijeep02 View Post
Thanks. Questions for you...did you go with the 1/4" or 3/16" thick skid? Also, did you get a noticeable increase in vibration using the lo pro mount...I heard it's a more ridgid mount than factory.thanks.

gijeep02
I went with the 3/16" thick. No vibrations at all with the lo pro mount. Very solid product. If you do buy it, just make sure you grind down the stock piece it mounts to for a flush sit. Pic Below;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0509.JPG   IMG_0511.JPG   IMG_0552.JPG   IMG_0555.JPG   IMG_0519.JPG  

IMG_0528.JPG   IMG_0545.JPG  
2003X is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler
 
JEK3's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.
I have the Novak cable shifter installed, and the Ultra Clearance skid sitting in my garage. Why did you need the cat/muffler? Was the stock one wedged in there pretty good? How much of a body lift were you running (I will be installing a 1.25" one)?
JEK3 is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
DanZ51
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wallingford, VT
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I went with the 3/16" thick. No vibrations at all with the lo pro mount. Very solid product. If you do buy it, just make sure you grind down the stock piece it mounts to for a flush sit. Pic Below;
Really? I've got the Lo Pro and I definitely noticed some vibe increase over the factory mount. Had it off and on a few times, correct positioning of the LoPro does minimize some of the vibes but its still more than OE. Clearanced the hell out of the support bracket too.

Must be getting older...

"I will always be an American Soldier"
DanZ51 is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
aTX427
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I have the Novak cable shifter installed, and the Ultra Clearance skid sitting in my garage. Why did you need the cat/muffler? Was the stock one wedged in there pretty good? How much of a body lift were you running (I will be installing a 1.25" one)?
There was a clearance issue with the cat. Can't rember if it was the trans mount or pan, but it had to be moved forward and the stock cat was too close to the floorboard and a fire risk, so I went with a slimmer body cat. The stock muffler works, but hangs down past the belly pan, so I changed it out for a slimline muffler. I don't have, nor do I plan on running a body lift.
aTX427 is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ51 View Post
Really? I've got the Lo Pro and I definitely noticed some vibe increase over the factory mount. Had it off and on a few times, correct positioning of the LoPro does minimize some of the vibes but its still more than OE. Clearanced the hell out of the support bracket too.

Must be getting older...
I had vibes before from running the large lift with no SYE. So when I added all the new parts it rode 10 X's better. They're may be some vibrations, but I do not notice them if there are.
2003X is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler
 
JEK3's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
There was a clearance issue with the cat. Can't rember if it was the trans mount or pan, but it had to be moved forward and the stock cat was too close to the floorboard and a fire risk, so I went with a slimmer body cat. The stock muffler works, but hangs down past the belly pan, so I changed it out for a slimline muffler. I don't have, nor do I plan on running a body lift.
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. Maybe I'll have better luck with my trans.
JEK3 is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM
aTX427
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central
Posts: 560
It was a little more work than anticipated, but I am very please with the end result
aTX427 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome