Undercover Fab...extra clearance or ultra clearance skid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Undercover Fab...extra clearance or ultra clearance skid?

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Undercover Fab...extra clearance or ultra clearance skid?

It seems that the Undercover fab transfercase skids are getting really good reviews on many forums so I think I am going to go with one. i am having trouble deciding on which one though...the extra clearance one(about 2" deep) or the ultra clearance one(about 1" deep). I am leaning towards the extra clearance one as I am thinking that it would be the easier one to install and not have any driveline vibes that could be toublesome to weed out or require driveshaft lengthening and/or replacing the rear shaft with a CV shaft? Is that extra inch of clearance with the ultra clearance skid worth the extra work to weed out any vibes or with my current mods(having all adjustable control arms and 1"mml and 1"bl) would it be as easy as installing the extra clearance skid? Thanks.

gijeep02

gijeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can always instal it with a form of tcase drop so that it places everything in its present location until you are ready to start reworking things then get it to the 1" drop level. I'd only go this route if you are dedicated to eventually mounting it properly though.
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with the lo pro case mount, an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.

Here is a picture of the 2" extra.

And the 1" Ultra
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.

And the 1" Ultra
Cool, thanks. Judging by your pics, I think I will be just fine with the Extra Clearance Skid...I'm not doing hardcore rockcrawling all the time and the Extra is a lot better than the stock shovel by the looks of your pics.

gijeep02
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I started with the extra, then went to the Ultra. The extra is a bolt on - nothing else needed, but I had to go with an aftermarket cat, muffler and Novak cable shifter when I upgraded to the Ultra. They are both great products.

And the 1" Ultra
sweet rig man, really like the way it looks.

thanks you for your post. answerd the questin i had floating around in my head for some time.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed the "No Body Lift" version of the skid, and gained 1-1/2" of belly clearance. I figure with my 2-1/2" lift and the skid, I have as much clearance as a 4" lift. Well worth it in my opinion and it didn't create any driveline issues on my Unlimited. I did modify the exhaust mount, it wasn't absolutely necessary, but the exhaust was way too close to the tub for my liking without it.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the extra clearance steel version with the lo pro mount. Great products. After installing it I needed a MML and Novak Cable Shifter.
img_0490.jpg   img_0465.jpg   img_0464.jpg  
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I have the extra clearance steel version with the lo pro mount. Great products. After installing it I needed a MML and Novak Cable Shifter.
Thanks. Questions for you...did you go with the 1/4" or 3/16" thick skid? Also, did you get a noticeable increase in vibration using the lo pro mount...I heard it's a more ridgid mount than factory.thanks.

gijeep02
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijeep02 View Post
Thanks. Questions for you...did you go with the 1/4" or 3/16" thick skid? Also, did you get a noticeable increase in vibration using the lo pro mount...I heard it's a more ridgid mount than factory.thanks.

gijeep02
I went with the 3/16" thick. No vibrations at all with the lo pro mount. Very solid product. If you do buy it, just make sure you grind down the stock piece it mounts to for a flush sit. Pic Below;
img_0509.jpg   img_0511.jpg   img_0552.jpg   img_0555.jpg   img_0519.jpg  

img_0528.jpg   img_0545.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the Novak cable shifter installed, and the Ultra Clearance skid sitting in my garage. Why did you need the cat/muffler? Was the stock one wedged in there pretty good? How much of a body lift were you running (I will be installing a 1.25" one)?
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I went with the 3/16" thick. No vibrations at all with the lo pro mount. Very solid product. If you do buy it, just make sure you grind down the stock piece it mounts to for a flush sit. Pic Below;
Really? I've got the Lo Pro and I definitely noticed some vibe increase over the factory mount. Had it off and on a few times, correct positioning of the LoPro does minimize some of the vibes but its still more than OE. Clearanced the hell out of the support bracket too.

Must be getting older...
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I have the Novak cable shifter installed, and the Ultra Clearance skid sitting in my garage. Why did you need the cat/muffler? Was the stock one wedged in there pretty good? How much of a body lift were you running (I will be installing a 1.25" one)?
There was a clearance issue with the cat. Can't rember if it was the trans mount or pan, but it had to be moved forward and the stock cat was too close to the floorboard and a fire risk, so I went with a slimmer body cat. The stock muffler works, but hangs down past the belly pan, so I changed it out for a slimline muffler. I don't have, nor do I plan on running a body lift.
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ51 View Post
Really? I've got the Lo Pro and I definitely noticed some vibe increase over the factory mount. Had it off and on a few times, correct positioning of the LoPro does minimize some of the vibes but its still more than OE. Clearanced the hell out of the support bracket too.

Must be getting older...
I had vibes before from running the large lift with no SYE. So when I added all the new parts it rode 10 X's better. They're may be some vibrations, but I do not notice them if there are.
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There was a clearance issue with the cat. Can't rember if it was the trans mount or pan, but it had to be moved forward and the stock cat was too close to the floorboard and a fire risk, so I went with a slimmer body cat. The stock muffler works, but hangs down past the belly pan, so I changed it out for a slimline muffler. I don't have, nor do I plan on running a body lift.
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. Maybe I'll have better luck with my trans.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It was a little more work than anticipated, but I am very please with the end result

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.